Question for Sourdough Bread Makers

Street, I've made sourdough for years (35+) with the same starter but last year I got a new one from Baker Creek Seed Co when we were in Mansfield, MO checking out their very unique gardens and seed company. The new starter took a while to get going but I love it and I've learned something. I feed my (mature) starter at night, let it "feed" overnight, then mix up my bread the next morning. Unless I'm going to use it again, I put it right back in the refrigerator. Then, the next time I plan to make bread, I pull it out the night before, feed it, and the process starts all over. You need to let at least about 4 hours pass between feeding it and using it. I was making the mistake of leaving it on the counter after using it and it wasn't very happy. It makes a lovely loaf of bread

Attachments

• 72443022307__3B3A5B6E-5DBE-4BE2-AB6E-212F5A6EFB96.jpg
    72443022307__3B3A5B6E-5DBE-4BE2-AB6E-212F5A6EFB96.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 14
ha, ha, first time I tried adding a photo. I guess I need to learn how not to let it turn on itself!

Street, I've made sourdough for years (35+) with the same starter but last year I got a new one from Baker Creek Seed Co when we were in Mansfield, MO checking out their very unique gardens and seed company. The new starter took a while to get going but I love it and I've learned something. I feed my (mature) starter at night, let it "feed" overnight, then mix up my bread the next morning. Unless I'm going to use it again, I put it right back in the refrigerator. Then, the next time I plan to make bread, I pull it out the night before, feed it, and the process starts all over. You need to let at least about 4 hours pass between feeding it and using it. I was making the mistake of leaving it on the counter after using it and it wasn't very happy. It makes a lovely loaf of bread
That is a great tip to feed at night. I can change that up and I will store mine in the fridge. They say once a week to keep it alive and discard a cup each time or use it to bake.

That is a beautiful loaf of bread you got there. It looks so nice I would hate to cut it. Lol

Thank You for your input I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Street.

Feeding once a week sounds about right. I'd say I make bread probably twice a week, more or less. When i was having challenges with my new starter, I fed it every couple of days for a week or so.

Also, if you're using a banneton basket, I've found that it's great to do that second rise in the refrigerator overnight. It is much easier to slash cold bread dough before baking.

I let it rise a bit on that second rise for a while before I refrigerate it (covered with plastic wrap or more often a thin dishtowel). I put the dough in "good side" down into the basket so when I turn it out, the smooth side is the side that gets those lovely impressions from the basket in it.

The next morning I turn the oven to 450, and turn the dough out onto my parchment lined enameled cast iron dutch oven (you can use a cookie sheet too; I just find the dutch oven helps keep a nice shape). Making sure the oven is completely hot, I slash my bread, put the lid on (make sure you have oven proof knob on your lid) and immediately turn the temp down to 400. I set the timer for 20 min and cook with the lid on. Then I take the lid off, and bake an additional 40 min.

There are so many approaches to sourdough bread baking and all are fun to try. I'm excited for you on your adventure!

Thanks, Street.

Feeding once a week sounds about right. I'd say I make bread probably twice a week, more or less. When i was having challenges with my new starter, I fed it every couple of days for a week or so.

Also, if you're using a banneton basket, I've found that it's great to do that second rise in the refrigerator overnight. It is much easier to slash cold bread dough before baking.

I let it rise a bit on that second rise for a while before I refrigerate it (covered with plastic wrap or more often a thin dishtowel). I put the dough in "good side" down into the basket so when I turn it out, the smooth side is the side that gets those lovely impressions from the basket in it.

The next morning I turn the oven to 450, and turn the dough out onto my parchment lined enameled cast iron dutch oven (you can use a cookie sheet too; I just find the dutch oven helps keep a nice shape). Making sure the oven is completely hot, I slash my bread, put the lid on (make sure you have oven proof knob on your lid) and immediately turn the temp down to 400. I set the timer for 20 min and cook with the lid on. Then I take the lid off, and bake an additional 40 min.

There are so many approaches to sourdough bread baking and all are fun to try. I'm excited for you on your adventure!

Thanks again for the detailed advice I really do appreciate your experience and help.

Attachments

• IMG_00011.jpg
    IMG_00011.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 4
This thread is so interesting, I saw a recipe in Bon Appetit Feb 2024 issue, to make a no-knead Fougasse.
It looked interesting and I've never baked any bread so what could go wrong :)

I used the oven light trick I read here to provide a warm place as temps outside were -8, so drafts would occur.
This was the result and even DW liked it:
It's a little too rectangular, and the slits are not all as wide as they should be, but it tastes fine :dance:

Attachments

• baked_Fougasse_Jan_14_2024.jpg
    baked_Fougasse_Jan_14_2024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
On topic but maybe a side issue...

Is it possible to clone a sourdough starter from cooked bread? For many years I loved to sourdough bread from our local Safeway in Arizona. I had not had it in 10 years since moving to Hawaii but decided to drop in on the new Safeway (okay, it's several years old but I've never gone there) and they had the bread. I bought a boule and it tastes the same. I love it. The price is good but it's a long drive.

I'd love to clone it to make my own starter from the cooked bread. Is this possible? I kind of doubt it but looking for expert opinions.

Is it possible to clone a sourdough starter from cooked bread?

No, baking kills the yeast.

That's why bakers and brewers have always cooperated. The beer making process produces copious amounts of yeast, so the brewers provide the surplus to the bakers, who kill it in the bread making process. Then they can share the fruits of their labors with each other.

That's why bakers and brewers have always cooperated. The beer making process produces copious amounts of yeast, so the brewers provide the surplus to the bakers, who kill it in the bread making process. Then they can share the fruits of their labors with each other.
Nice!

Beer is just liquid bread after all.

Thank You All it has sure been an interesting journey so far.

Sunset, the bread looks great, and I bet it tasted better. I like the character the shape and it makes it so interesting.

So, this morning I got to the endpoint and had the pleasure of a bake. I think it turned out well, I hope! I have anothah dough started for tomorrow bake.

Here is the product of after an eight day wait. I can't wait till lunch for a slice. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 7

Sunset, the bread looks great, and I bet it tasted better. I like the character the shape and it makes it so interesting.

So, this morning I got to the endpoint and had the pleasure of a bake. I think it turned out well, I hope! I have anothah dough started for tomorrow bake.

Here is the product of after an eight day wait. I can't wait till lunch for a slice. Thanks again everyone.

Nice work! :cool:

That looks like a wonderful loaf! :)

I’ve been baking my own bread for years as I find it healthier and tastier. But, sourdough has eluded me. I think will give it a try soon. I like a good sourdough slice with butter. Simple and delicious. Besides, it’s Winter for a few more months and having the oven on in the morning really helps to warn the house.

Last edited:
Wow! That's an amazing loaf. Even more impressive that it is your first one. Well done.

Does it have to be rye flour to make the starter from scratch?

No - you can use unbleached bread or all purpose flour or whole wheat. It may take a bit longer to double in size.

Starters love whole Rye flour and rise rapidly. Rye does have its own flavor. Whole wheat also causes a fast rise. Both these flours (being whole) have more/variety of enzymes than Bread flour.

Dang Street - you just can't help being an artist. Very good looking loaf and outstanding scoring.

Wow, fantastic first timer results! Beautiful loaf. Did it smell great coming out of the oven?

That looks really good. You are a great encouragement for a newbie like me.

Mmmmm, the smell of fresh coffee, bread baking, and bacon.

Looks great. I have to say this thread is really motivating me to try this myself. Sourdough is actually my favorite bread, especially toasted, and I love fresh bread.

This thread is so interesting, I saw a recipe in Bon Appetit Feb 2024 issue, to make a no-knead Fougasse.
It looked interesting and I've never baked any bread so what could go wrong :)

I used the oven light trick I read here to provide a warm place as temps outside were -8, so drafts would occur.
This was the result and even DW liked it:
It's a little too rectangular, and the slits are not all as wide as they should be, but it tastes fine :dance:

That is a beautiful Fougasse, Sunset! Well done!

Wow, Street! That's beautiful! You did it! And I might add that you did it because you stuck with it. Sourdough can be a bit elusive when you first get started so sticking with it is the key. It will become more intuitive as you go along. Enjoy! (and as it gets too dry, it makes an excellent french toast. Just be sure and let the bread soak in the egg mixture for several minutes so it really absorbs it.)

Congratulations!!!

Ohh Yes, Yes, I would encourage anyone interested to give it a try. The smell of it was incredible this morning at 6:30 AM.

We have a mutual friend that has given us a few over the years. He is said, to have make one each day and give them away. That is how I got the itch to making one. So, for Christmas my beautiful wife got me a Sourdough Kit. So, that really was the start for starting my career in baking. Lol I barely knew where the stove was let alone how to use it. Lol

Every year since I been retired, I have taken on new exciting thing to do. This has been one of the shortest adventures but has been a rewarding one.

Thank You All and it is getting very close for that first taste test of my sourdough.

Back
Top Bottom