Question for Sourdough Bread Makers

Since I did not have good luck with making my own starter I used a packet of Red Star Platinum Sourdough Starter to make a batch of a french bread recipe from their website. I used a small portion of the batch to make a pizza and refrigerated the rest to make what ever [probably a loaf in a day or 2]. Here's a pic

OHHH that looks wonderful!! Please post your next bake and thanks for sharing.

Taking the chill off of the house this morning.

That is another beautiful delicious looking bake!! My scoring never seems to be as distinct as all you pros bread.

Baked this morning, another portion from the dough left from the other day, fed the remainder dough, let it rise and put it back in the refrigerator.
The crust is more crackly than crisp, the crumb is chewy and moist. The dough for this loaf was intentionally more wet and soft, had to use a scraper to shape it for the pan, the rise was good but did not get a rounded top crust due to the wet soft nature of this mix.

Attachments

• 20240227_083721.jpg
    20240227_083721.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 2
Looking good!

I Just got done baking a loaf a few minutes ago and this loaf raised the highest so far. I didn't go read through 17 pages of posts, but I believe someone mentioned to place the dough in freezer for the last hour or so. I did that with this loaf, and it just exploded into a beautiful loaf.

I will be using that technic from now on. It is also easier to score and handle before going into the oven.

Happy baking!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Looking good!

I Just got done baking a loaf a few minutes ago and this loaf raised the highest so far. I didn't go read through 17 pages of posts, but I believe someone mentioned to place the dough in freezer for the last hour or so. I did that with this loaf, and it just exploded into a beautiful loaf.

I will be using that technic from now on. It is also easier to score and handle before going into the oven.

Happy baking!!!

Street, that looks so good! :cool:

Looking good!

Happy baking!!!

Wow, that looks great. I will have to try the freezer trick. Thanks.

Street, that’s some awesome oven spring! I read about going directly from the refrigerator to the oven for increased oven spring but I’ve never tried the freezer. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know of a good light weight baking pot for round loaves. My cast iron pot is too heavy and tough to handle coming hot out of the oven.

After an epic month of failure-to-launch starter attempts, with the help of this group my starter is doing great. So great that I had a bunch of extra starter left after making my last loaf.

I decided to boost my pancakes with a generous dose of starter and it worked out great. Also, my last loaf had the strongest sourdough tang yet. It’s not as strong as the store bought breads which often toss in something acidic to boost the tang and that’s fine with me.

My question is this, with your slice of sourdough do you like salted or unsalted butter?

After an epic month of failure-to-launch starter attempts, with the help of this group my starter is doing great. So great that I had a bunch of extra starter left after making my last loaf.

I decided to boost my pancakes with a generous dose of starter and it worked out great. Also, my last loaf had the strongest sourdough tang yet. It’s not as strong as the store bought breads which often toss in something acidic to boost the tang and that’s fine with me.

My question is this, with your slice of sourdough do you like salted or unsalted butter?

Salted butter for us.

How are the Sourdough people doing! I just took a slice from a fresh bake yesterday morning. I have been really getting the air pockets and bubbles in the bread. My startah is getting better with age I do believe. The last few bakes the bread rises to 5.5 inches tall.

Happy Baking!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 11
How are the Sourdough people doing! I just took a slice from a fresh bake yesterday morning. I have been really getting the air pockets and bubbles in the bread. My startah is getting better with age I do believe. The last few bakes the bread rises to 5.5 inches tall.

Happy Baking!!!

Nice..reminds me of Swiss Cheese! :D

Happy Baking!!!

You've got explosive fermentation going on!

I baked a loaf yesterday. I'm getting to the end of the sourdough season. I usually take the summer off to avoid adding baking heat to the house.

You've got explosive fermentation going on!

I baked a loaf yesterday. I'm getting to the end of the sourdough season. I usually take the summer off to avoid adding baking heat to the house.

I should also but we really enjoy the bread. No preservatives and healthier bread. I might bake some through the summer and keep the startah alive and kicking.

A friend sent me an article that mentioned this starter that dates back to 1847!
You can get some by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope
https://carlsfriends.net/

Here's the article

I'd cranked out a number of loaves in short order and my starter got upset with me. Pretty much crossed it's arms and glowered up at me from it's container. Was tickled by the Carl's Starter article and the Oregon connection so sent off my SASE and a small unrequested contribution. Couple weeks later I got a teaspoon or so of white powder in a baggie in the mail and Carl's Starter is great! Added some to my flour/water mix and it reacted with vigor.

Bought some Rye flour and added a spoonful to my beginning mix and the starter does seem to get frothy real fast - Starter says YUM!

Took a tip from Street and have been sticking the Banneton in the frig for an hour or so after letting it rise on the counter - seems to stiffen the outside of the dough ball, letting it stand taller in the cooking pan and resulting in a taller loaf.

Mixed up a batch of starter and when it got frothy spread it on waxed paper and dried it. After a few days peeled it off and ran it through the blender. Now I have backup and an easy way to share my (Carl's) starter.

I'd cranked out a number of loaves in short order and my starter got upset with me. Pretty much crossed it's arms and glowered up at me from it's container. Was tickled by the Carl's Starter article and the Oregon connection so sent off my SASE and a small unrequested contribution. Couple weeks later I got a teaspoon or so of white powder in a baggie in the mail and Carl's Starter is great! Added some to my flour/water mix and it reacted with vigor.

Bought some Rye flour and added a spoonful to my beginning mix and the starter does seem to get frothy real fast - Starter says YUM!

Took a tip from Street and have been sticking the Banneton in the frig for an hour or so after letting it rise on the counter - seems to stiffen the outside of the dough ball, letting it stand taller in the cooking pan and resulting in a taller loaf.

Mixed up a batch of starter and when it got frothy spread it on waxed paper and dried it. After a few days peeled it off and ran it through the blender. Now I have backup and an easy way to share my (Carl's) starter.

Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing your method and story. I place my Banneton in fridge for about 10 hours and then in freezer for ~1/2 to 1 hour and then score and into 450 oven.

The freezing stage is what makes mine spring and pop to a beautiful rise.

very happy to see you are all still baking. I made a loaf last week, but no pics. will start one again later today to bake monday night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom