Questioning oneself? Peer pressure?

Sam said:
Thank you all for your input. I guess it's all about the individual level of comfort one is accustomed to.

In retrospect, I guess I was not being totally fair to myself. I was only paying attention to people whose expenses are much higher than mine, and completely ignored the other end of the spectrum. On this very board, many have reported very low expenses, more than a few less than half of mine. I'd better pay closer attention to the complete picture instead of just the portion I am jealous, envious interested in.

A cup of coffee can cost 1 or 3 dollars. A house 150K or 600K, a 4K car or 40K. Yet they all perform the same function. Moving on.

I'll nominate this and Connie's post as two of the best in 2007......... :D

I traced my expenses very closely from about 1970 to 1986 and it is nice that after 20 years my expenses have doubled and lifestyle has remained constant to rising a bit. Income has increased about 400% to the point where I can cover the expenses at about a 3.X to 1 ratio. I pulled the trigger in 1986 (at 46) for ER but, in truth did work some at things I liked to do but did not pay very much beyond a nominal IRA contribution each year until about 1995 when I no longer worked at all.

The point is if you have the expense data, can cover it, and it is accurate you can retire. Of course you have to do what you need to be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom