Quick Decision - on the road

USA

Recycles dryer sheets
Looked on the calendar and a short 4 day trip would fit. Back when we had j*bs this would be packed with whatever was on the front burner or an obligation vacation. Now we’re trying something new. Made a quick decision (for us) and we’re off in the car. RVing we do plan, long trips we’ve planned. The only short ones were bookended with wo•k. Both DH and I are prior military and packing is a trait we’re fast at. This is our 1st spontaneous trip since we’ve FIREd. A half mile from home the air bag light comes on. We just laugh. It’s not like we’re leaving the country. Now, a hour into the trip and scenery is wonderful. Who else is new to spontaneous travel after FIRE and how often do you do it?

We’ve talked about being spontaneous, but we live in an area where you have to fly out in order to be spontaneous. To reduce travel costs, you have to do some planning.

Prior military? Just hop in and go?
Sounds too much like an EDRE* to me. :LOL:

I'm the travel planner (ex-road warrior, so a bit anal in the planning role), and DW does not tolerate screwups. Ergo, our travel tends to be planned and structured, but it works for us. Our biggest change is being able to be gone as long as we want. :dance:

And thanks for your service!

*Emergency Deployment Readiness Exercise

IMG_0015.JPG

Red: bring back memories for you? Our accommodations this time aren’t blow that dough. The USAF turned out ok for a meetup with some FIRE friends who are a decade older than us. DH and I have been out of the mil. long enough that this hip shoot seems to have been alright.

This is about as spontaneous as we can get. Decided to go see the granddaughter, so we’ll be flying out this Wednesday. This after just coming back from a trip to Las Vegas last week which was planned months ago.

Sounds spontaneous to me! I expect you were able to find something to enjoy in Vegas. I’m not sure if I’m rugged enough but AK is on my unwritten list.

Here’s another spontaneous trip. We had a flyer in the local paper for local appreciation discounted fares for a small cruise ship line (< 80 passengers), in SE Alaska. We’ll be going to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjords, two places on our local need to see list. So we’ll be off next month on an eight day cruise.

We’ll be going to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjords, two places on our local need to see list.

Nice!
Glacier Bay is always spectacular of course, but Tracy Arm is also well worth the time. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom