Quick Meal Ideas

Here's my 2 cents worth. Quick breakfast: make sausage gravy. line mini muffin pan with saran wrap and drop a dollop of sausage gravy into each spot, freeze. when frozen, remove from muffin pan and flatten out a canned biscuit and insert dollop into middle of biscuit. pinch shut, turn over (pinched side down) on cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes. Refreeze leftovers for a quick biscuits and gravy breakfast.

Ummm... nachos.

1 plate covered in tortilla chips
handful of cheese

sprinkle cheese on tortilla chips. microwave till cheese is melted. Serve with taco sauce from a jar or from packets labeled "Taco Bell".

For variety, beans, sour cream, sauteed onions, and/or lettuce can be added to the nachos.

justin said:
For variety, beans, sour cream, sauteed onions, and/or lettuce can be added to the nachos. 
And you're back before the commercial break is over...

Dinner for 2.
2 bags of Microwave Organic Popcorn. 2 minutes 14 seconds each.
4 beer. 4 seconds to open.
Enjoy.

Start boiling water for rice. Add rice once water boils. Simmer.
Chop up veggies of choice (I like bell peppers, mushrooms, asperagus, broccoli, sweat peas, onions, whatever, usually I just use 2 or 3).
Chop up fully defrosted boneless skinless chicken breast.
7 minutes before the rice is done, put your skillet (or wok) over high heat. When it's hot, add some oil.
When the oil is hot, toss in the chicken. Cook until just done (about 2 minutes).
Remove chicken.
Add more oil.
Add in the veggies.
Cook about 3 minutes.
Add chicken, and your favority sauce. Stir-fry sauce is fine, but I've also used bbq sauce and various marinades. Cook for 1 minute.
Eat.

Tim

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
Oh alright, I've got another one.

Can of coconut milk, the full fat, not the light stuff...it sucks. Half teaspoon to a teaspoon of red thai chili paste, drained can of chicken breast meat, few dashes of thai fish sauce if you have some, any bamboo shoots, diced green onions or other flotsam/jetsam you've go lying around that looks vaguely like it should be in a thai soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Throw in a couple of frozen shrimp if you've got 'em. Squeeze a half a fresh lime into each bowl or drizzle in a little bottled lime juice.

The basic version of this takes a few minutes. With all the trimmings you can make a half hour out of it.

Throw some ginger in there too. And a pile of spinach. Good food.

Heres a trick for you...wash and then freeze a whole chunk of ginger. Peel if you must, but its not necessary. Use a grater, ideally a microplane, to get as much ginger as you need into a dish. Frozen, the ginger shreds beautifully into long strands, which of course it wont do when fresh...pulp and juice are all you get then.

Fast cut for pastry, in the same vein, is to freeze a stick of butter. When making biscuits or dumplings that call for whapping the crap out of some dough until the butter in the recipe gets pea sized or less? This gives you the small butter bits in 5 seconds. Biscuits or fine dumplings in a few minutes with almost no work...flour, baking powder, grated frozen butter, salt, whatever else you need, voila...into the oven or soup in a minute.

On that popcorn and four beers for two...which one of you gets the four beers and which one is stuck with the popcorn?

Man, CFB - you are quite the chef! No wonder the Mrs. is out working (so you'll do the cooking!)

Audrey

hmm. The OP said "kind of like 30-minute meals but maybe quicker".

Nords, under ten minutes and with a microwave, isn't "cooking". It's surviving. Makes me think of either the office or the dorm, two places I'd rather forget.
Even Ramen noodles take around 5 minutes, for gosh sakes..

If that's your criteria, I second the nacho chef (justin). But taking the nacho recipe to new heights, I suggest:
-Take a boneless chicken breast.
-Boil in as much water to barely cover in a small covered pot for ten minutes.
-Turn off heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes.
-Shred up chicken with your hands.
-Apply to nachos along with cheese in toaster oven. Sliced black olives and/or jalapenos if you wish.
-Serve with jarred salsa & sour cream.

For under 10 minutes, I would be exploring the universe of bread and cold cuts.
Or maybe pita-bread "pizzas".
Or a bagged salad with stuff thrown on top.
Or omelets.

My idea of "quick" is whatever I can make in how long it takes the pasta water to boil and the pasta to cook, i.e., 20 minutes roughly.

Along the line of CFB's quick tips to speed prep for "regular" cooking, I'll add this: a lot of the things I make end up calling for a few tbsp of chopped onion, chopped carrot, chopped celery as a base. A drag when you are using small amounts and maybe you forgot to keep the fresh carrot or celery around.. Chop a cup or two's worth in the food processor and save in 1 or 2 tbsp portions. I do it by putting a long strip of plastic wrap on the counter, then making little piles at short intervals, folding over the wrap and twisting each pile around so that I get a length of chopped carrot "sausages" 'that I can put in the freezer and tear off later as needed.

Wait, here's something I made recently. You could accompany with a grilled steak or pork chop:
-------
Bean salad

-Take a small can or two of black beans. Drain and rinse well.
-Chop some peppers. I like a mix of red, green, yellow for the visual. If you use all three, you may only need 1/2 of each.
-Chop some red onion.
-If you have access to fresh sweet corn, slice off the niblets of 1 or 2 ears with a knife. Otherwise use the best canned type you can find, or omit.
-Dump it all in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar. All to taste, of course. A 'gourmet' touch is some chopped fresh cilantro.

Voila'! Guaranteed doable in 10 minutes.
This is great to take to a cookout or picnic 'cause it can sit out a bit without ill effects.

More with beans:
---------------
Fagioli all'uccelletto

-Canned cannelloni (white) beans. Decide how many cans you want to make ('cause it affects the proportions of the rest), drain, rinse well, and put aside.
-Put a couple tbsp. oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and start heating while you peel your garlic (1 clove/can of beans).
-Gently fry up 1 garlic-pressed clove per can.
-Just after putting in garlic in the hot oil, add one or two fresh sage leaves per can of beans. If you have rinsed the sage leaves dry them off, because they hold a lot of water on the surface that will cause them to spatter in the oil.
-When garlic is not even barely getting colored (like 1 minute), put in just 1 or 2 tbsp. tomato product per can of beans (this could be canned chopped tomatoes, puree, or sauce -not tom.paste, though). A relatively small amount; you are looking for a very light tomato sauce, and a final product that is 'pink' rather than 'red'.
-Cook the sauce for about 3-4 minutes.
-Add beans to sauce and cook gently, just enough to heat the beans through.

Another guaranteed under 10' dish. I don't even add salt to this.

If anyone tries any of these, let us know how they came out!  :)

Great stuff posted so far

Unfortunately my idea is to nuke a micro meal(pick your brand) or Taco Bell, Burger King, or Kentucky Fried - all under ten minutes round trip. Half hour - if I call out for pizza.

Now that the remodeling is done inside - perhaps I'll try some of the great ideas posted here.

I used to watch the local cooking shows(New Orleans).

Now we have this forum.

heh heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
Great stuff posted so far

Unfortunately my idea is to nuke a micro meal(pick your brand) or Taco Bell, Burger King, or Kentucky Fried - all under ten minutes round trip. Half hour - if I call out for pizza.

Help me please. :eek: I have been brainwashed. :duh:
I can't see myself (unless I'm starving or at gunpoint) cooking a meal in a microwave (warming up ok) or buying TBl, BK. MD, KK or Domino etc. I am missing so much of greasy good eating. I need deprogramming real bad. :D ;)

Hmmm

One could:confused: do Healthy Choice or South Beach micro's:confused:

But for real deprograming - I like black coffee/doughnuts and B.S. with some good old pharts at the local coffee shop.

Haven't found "the one' up here in MO yet (like Slidell) but it's fun looking.

heh heh heh heh - I put cooking in with my hobby stock picking - hormonal, good fun - and possibly a winner someday.

ladelfina said:
hmm. The OP said "kind of like 30-minute meals but maybe quicker".

Nords, under ten minutes and with a microwave, isn't "cooking". It's surviving. Makes me think of either the office or the dorm, two places I'd rather forget.
Even Ramen noodles take around 5 minutes, for gosh sakes..
I understand... I'm just trying to stay on the "quick" part of the topic. After my sea duty time I no longer have the most discriminating of palates, so it's all pearls before swine. When it comes to calories I favor expediency over art.

We've lived in our house for nearly six years now and I figure that I've cleaned up the kitchen over 6,000 times. Not a cheery aspect to the next six decades of ER, but maybe the daily rate will drop when our kid hits the streets. In any case I prefer to spend as little messing/cooking time in the kitchen as possible.

But I'm more than happy to support all the chefs out there with my appreciative appetite. I'll even clean up after you!

ladelfina said:
Bean salad
I've eaten a lot of strange & unidentified comestibles, even edibles, in my time... but I just can't even stand to smell a three-bean salad, let alone eat one.

This is what the submarine force starts making after six weeks or so at sea when the lettuce runs out. It might be tasty but there's just too many scent memories associated with that in my lower cerebellum...

So Nords, those rumors about the food being pretty good in the Navy isn't true?

I had always heard that on top of that, subs had the best food in the Navy

The thought comes to mind -

Being on a sub with a bad chef vs being married to woman who can't cook - there is/are some humor there somewhere - maybe:confused:?

Step daughter in spare room announced yesterday - no cooking after a rough day putting up pictures and shelves on  perfectly pristine redone rooms.

So I got to eat free peanuts while waiting for take out - Flatiron steak/baked potato/house salad and a grilled BBQ chicken/fettichini combo.

Sorta quick - for Saturday night - 10 minute drive at each end.

heh heh heh - remodeling is hopefully done inside - except for those stinking accessories - now on to the yard/patio/garden.
Basement is for winter - I hope. How about some hot weather quick meals - besides three bean.

Some modifications on CFB's pepper steak:

Traders Joe's course ground pepper (the perfect size for this dish).
Ground Salt (again size matters!)

Salt and pepper only seconds before cooking.

Very little butter in a very hot teflon pan.  (maybe carcinogenic? - got to read up on teflon)

3 teaspoons Dijon mustard mixed with 1/2 cup half and half .

Going out to eat, getting take-out/delivery, and nuking a frozen dinner are all just forms of outsourcing. Efficiency!

Three-bean salad by itself is probably quite tasty.  What I object to is all the memory associations it dredges up.  For me it's as much a smell of the submarine force as amine, diesel fuel, and a few other select odors.

saluki9 said:
So Nords, those rumors about the food being pretty good in the Navy isn't true?
I had always heard that on top of that, subs had the best food in the Navy
Depends on what part of the Navy you're in.  Subs were (and probably still are) way ahead of the aviators & surface fleets, although no one begrudged the SEALs the food they ate between deployments.

We used to joke that we went out with 90 days of food & movies, and that the food wasn't really the limiting factor.  Submariners substitute food for entertainment, especially when you can eat a meal every six hours and lose track of whether it's day or night. You might eat peanut butter & crackers on day 105 but no one ever suggested loading out MREs. I had a Supply Officer tell the CO that we couldn't get underway for an emergency ASW mission because the ice cream machine was up at the shipyard for repairs. He was deadly serious, too.

But it depends on what you like.  The menu panders to popular demand, and most of the Navy is between the ages of 18-25 with a metabolism to match.  FFV (fresh fruits & veggies) really should only last a couple weeks.  I've seen apples go longer under proper storage.  Six-week lettuce is mostly the center of the iceberg, which probably requires more calories to consume than it contributes.  Eggs past eight weeks are not such a good idea.  Frozen or dried foods are usually loaded with fat & salt for more "taste".  In the '80s & '90s the diet tended to be heavy on meat (admittedly prime cuts) & potatoes, although today's diet might be better.  Veggies were canned instead of frozen (easier to store) so probably less healthy... even before adding all the butter & sauces.  Even chicken was less frequent than beef, and ironically we rarely saw fish.  I think that has something to do with freezer storage, although I still can't believe that I saw Korean War beef in 1986.

The other side of the menu is that labor is cheaper & easier than convenience foods.  Fresh-baked bread every day-- and rolls, pastries, cookies, cakes, & pies.  (The midwatch smell wafting from the galley up to the control room would drive you crazy!)  Fresh doughnuts, bearclaws, and/or biscuits every morning.  Fresh pizza every Friday from scratch (well, canned tomato sauce but fresh cheese).  Milkshake mix in the ice cream machine (although today it's probably low-fat frozen yogurt).  Whole milk from powder (for some reason it tastes better than powdered skim milk).  As long as the food was good you could take away just about every God-given right from a submariner and dribble them back out as "privileges".

I regularly gained 20 pounds on sea duty (I'm 5'10") and spent all of shore duty losing 10-15 of it.  In the 18 months after I retired and started tae kwon do I lost 30 pounds and gained a sizeable chunk of muscle.  I don't miss that part of the life one bit...

I shouldn't have called it "bean salad"! That was infelicitous. I also cringe at the memory/smell of the flaccid canned stringbeans, especially those yellow waxy ones.

The marketing department here has re-named the above recipe "Fresh Pepper and Sweet Corn Salad with Black Beans and Red Onion/Cilantro Garni"

Nords, I always heard that an army travels on its stomach and I guess that goes double for submariners.. I would never have imagined the fresh-baked bread for some reason! Nor the lack of fish.. Interesting!

--
More tips (edited & enhanced) from another thread (http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=6609.msg118437#msg118437):

Another trick for boneless chicken breasts: slice them horizontally in three 1/4"-1/8"  slices. They will cook in 1/3 the time and won't be unevenly cooked.  Use the flat of your hand to bear down and keep the chicken from sliding around while using a big sharp knife. Do a bunch of these and freeze them when they are on sale. Before freezing wrap individual meal-size portions, with freezer paper or plastic wrap between the slices for quick extraction and defrosting (you don't want to end up with a 3 lb. block of chicken breasts).

A chicken marsala takes about 5 minutes cooking time (heat butter in pan on high, salt & pepper chicken, dredge in flour, saute, when a bit golden brown on both sides throw in a few tablespoons of Marsala and voila'!). The entire dinner 10' including boiling up some frozen string beans.. maybe 15' with prep/cleanup.

You can do a similar "scallopine" thing with either chicken or thinly sliced veal: same procedure as above except instead of adding Marsala at the end, add a small amount of lemon juice and some capers. The bit of liquid at the end in either case mixes with some of the flour and butter left in the pan and gives you a little sauce. When the slices are cooked you remove them onto the serving plates; it's easier then to whisk in your liquid and the sauce is ready to pour over your meat in just a minute or so.

Another quickie is to take the c. breast slices, put in a greased oven pan, throw a slice of cheese and/or ham/prosciutto on top, bake in the toaster oven for 15 minutes. I like these with spinach on the side which I can boil up while the chicken is in the oven. It doesn't take any longer than going out for Chinese and costs a lot less.

--

Yesterday it was about 90° so our quick evening meal was smoked salmon, tuna and swordfish with cream cheese/tomato/red onion/capers on random bread and crackers.

Well I just winged for dinner and it came out superb so here tis about 10-15 minutes to fix.

Cut "washed" 1/2 of a chicken breast into big 3/4 inch pieces, sprinkle with Mrs.Dashes Garlic and Herb seasoning put in skillet with small amount of olive oil. Cook just till not pink.

Added, Progresso low salt chicken stock and handful of chopped bok choy, simmer.

Absolutely delicious, big chunky bowl of soup. Small piece of baguette on side. Tha's got me thru till morning.

Just got this one via e-mail from a friend.....haven't tested it yet, but think I'll try.....The described instructions are for a group effort:

OMELET IN A ZIPLOCK BAG

(This works great !!! The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker, but only if their ingredients are different (eg.no onions)

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water. Cover while cooking & you can decrease time.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed. Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omlette for a quick breakfast!!!

I used tomatoes, ham, green onions, cheddar cheese and mushrooms in this one! MMMMMMMM . . .MMMMMMM good!!!

I've served the omelets in a bag before and everyone likes them because they chose their own ingredients.

My quick meals involve boneless skinless chicken breasts or salmon filets in a George foreman type of grill. I marinade in advance or use lemon pepper or an herb mixture. That and a salad is a regular meal around here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom