Qustions on ACA apply process

How to file ACA application income page?

We are a family of 3 with one tax return for Married Filing Jointly, and one return for independent adult child (24). We will have group insurance covering 3 of us for January 2019, so we need an ACA policy beginning February 2019.

The time to file for ACA to start in February 2019 is 12/16/18 to 1/15/19 per Covered California helpline.

I am just now looking into the application form from Covered California website. For each person, there are 2 steps; step 1 is for personal information, step 2 is the income portion (see attached).

The first section is: Tell us about your current job and how you get money: Are they asking for my 2018 income here? For 2019, we will have very little job income, and then 2 bonuses, and one PTO payout.

If I skip down to the section: Does your income change from month to month? There are 2 questions below:

What do you expect your income to be this year: Are they asking for 2018 income?
If you expect your income to change next year, what will the new total income be? Are they asking for the estimated income from 2019? Is this where I need to put the estimated household MAGI to ensure that I am under the 400% FPL?

Does the online filing ask the same questions as filing on paper in Covered California?

Attachments

• ACA Income page.pdf
    706.8 KB · Views: 5
^ If you're applying for ACA coverage starting February 2019, then I would think you should answer the questions about "this year" as meaning 2019, and "next year" to mean 2020.

For the "current job and how you get money", I would answer that as 2019, so mention your bonuses and PTO payout, and say you're retired.

Hello all, OP here.

I want to report back that I just completed ACA process and obtained a health insurance for 2019.
The process was anything but easy and convenient. After 8th phone call into the admin, I decided to obtain an agent, things have gotten better after that.

I think the biggest problem was that they don't inform you what they need exactly for the verification.
They told me they need financial info and spouse income and following year income projection; I have made cover letter attached with income statement, tax returns, pay stub....etc, but I kept getting "fail verification". After I got an agent, we had a conference call with the admin, and understood they need 1095B and tax e-file statement.
They could tell me that's what they need when I made all the phone calls but now I realized that the quality of each admin is different, also the agent deal with different set of admin than I did.

Alas, I got health insurance for me and my kids next year, that's the most important part of it.

Hello all, OP here.

I want to report back that I just completed ACA process and obtained a health insurance for 2019.
The process was anything but easy and convenient. After 8th phone call into the admin, I decided to obtain an agent, things have gotten better after that.

I think the biggest problem was that they don't inform you what they need exactly for the verification.
They told me they need financial info and spouse income and following year income projection; I have made cover letter attached with income statement, tax returns, pay stub....etc, but I kept getting "fail verification". After I got an agent, we had a conference call with the admin, and understood they need 1095B and tax e-file statement.
They could tell me that's what they need when I made all the phone calls but now I realized that the quality of each admin is different, also the agent deal with different set of admin than I did.

Alas, I got health insurance for me and my kids next year, that's the most important part of it.

I am glad you got it all resolved. I see you are in Connecticut.

I am nervously waiting for 12/16 to sign up for ours from Covered California. I am not sure why challenges I might have yet. We will see.

PSA: Just a reminder - the last day to sign up during normal enrollment is 12/15 - 3 days from now, for your 2019 coverage.

Miss that, and you'll need a qualifying event such as loss of job/coverage, etc., to sign up again before 2020 enrollment window opens.

PSA: Just a reminder - the last day to sign up during normal enrollment is 12/15 - 3 days from now, for your 2019 coverage.

Miss that, and you'll need a qualifying event such as loss of job/coverage, etc., to sign up again before 2020 enrollment window opens.

Covered California still uses the original due date 1/15/19.

Apply
You can sign up for 2019 coverage from Oct. 15, 2018, to Jan. 15, 2019. Individuals with special qualifying life events can enroll at any time of the year. Medi-Cal enrollment is also year-round.

Medi-Cal and Covered California use the same application. When you complete your application, depending on factors such as your family size, income and ZIP code, you will find out whether you qualify for:

A Covered California health plan, with or without financial assistance.
Medi-Cal.
County Children’s Health Initiative Program.
Medi-Cal Access Program for pregnant women.

Last edited:
Covered California still uses the original due date 1/15/19.

Apply
You can sign up for 2019 coverage from Oct. 15, 2018, to Jan. 15, 2019. Individuals with special qualifying life events can enroll at any time of the year. Medi-Cal enrollment is also year-round.

Today, I tried to sign up for 2/1/19 start date. We will still have group insurance for January, 2019. I now see that 1/1/2019 sign up deadline for Covered California is moved to 12/21/18. I will have to wait until 12/22/18 to sign up for 2/1/19 start date.

Back
Top Bottom