Rambler is Retiring!

A great way to start the new year , and a new phase of life , for you :) ,and your successor.

Last edited:
Congrat Rambler! It will be a big change for you, retiring and also returning to the US.

Ha

Let me add my congrats, you won't regret it.

Let me be a bit bewildered?
...... it is very clear that it is the only viable scenario that allows me to retire now or even within the next year. .....
Surely you can quit whenever you want, neither mega-corp nor mega-government owns you.

Congrats, it will be a very merry Christmas and happy new year for you:D

Well done!

I think Ha might be right about the extra adjustment of returning to the US. I remember doing that twice, and it was a cultural adjustment both times; especially the first time, which was pre-Internet and cell phone.

Looking forward to hearing about your transition.

Well done Rambler. Good luck with your transition. Look forward to your posts on the other side of retirement.

Rambler, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. And, uh, umm, aren't you too young to retire? What will you do with your time? Aren't you afraid of being bored? Well, I guess it's your life, so Good Luck (and congratulations once again).

Wonderful news Rambler, congratulations.

images

Congratulations and O-skara-sama.

I've enjoyed your posts, and wish you the best of luck:dance:.

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Also, a sincere thank you for all your introspective posts over the years, I have a much better understanding of the world outside the US..........:)

Congratulations! Also, a sincere thank you for all your introspective posts over the years, I have a much better understanding of the world outside the US..........:)

Agreed! I just posted how you helped me on another thread (not about understanding non-US life, but about socializing not being good for everyone).

Congrats! With your intellectual energy, you won't be bored!

Thanks all! I appreciate the comments and congrats. I've been too busy to follow up. Tonight I posted a notice on our Church's Facebook group page to give away stuff we don't want to move back...I didn't expect many takers in our expat community, but we got rid of the kids beds, dressers, electric heater, kerosene heater, lamps, various decorations and kitchen stuff, all within a little over an hour. Four people wanted our freezer, and two wanted the BBQ....these are hard to find in Tokyo, and the response from the time I hit the send button was within seconds...not hours or minutes. I'm really happy about this because we didn't want to haul this stuff back to the States just to take it to the dump...and it is REALLY expensive here to get rid of things.

Everything is going smoothly. Two moving companies come tomorrow to quote...after today, we'll be saving a few bucks.

R

Just curious Rambler, where did your forum name come from? This perhaps?

Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man - YouTube

Purron, when I was in middle school, one of the other kids found a Rambler hubcap on the schoolyard, put it on my head like a hat and called me Rambler...it stuck. It never particularly bothered me because we all had some nickname or another. This stuck with me throughout high school, but dropped off when I went to college away from home. ...And because I have a tendency to "ramble" when I write, I figured it was appropriate for a screen name...

R

Purron, when I was in middle school, one of the other kids found a Rambler hubcap on the schoolyard, put it on my head like a hat and called me Rambler...it stuck. It never particularly bothered me because we all had some nickname or another. This stuck with me throughout high school, but dropped off when I went to college away from home. ...And because I have a tendency to "ramble" when I write, I figured it was appropriate for a screen name...

R

What a great story :)

We are now 6 weeks post announcement. Tomorrow the movers come for their second day of packing and hauling. They originally said it would take 3 days, now saying probably will stretch into a 4th day. My farewell for the local team is tomorrow. I did not want a big "to do" but my Japanese colleagues inform me that much as a funeral is more for those left behind than for the departed, so is the farewell for an appreciated colleague. So, I will go and do my best to enjoy it.

Each day passes with mixed feelings. Honestly, from the time the decision was made until the announcement (over two months in between), I probably experienced more melancholy than joy. With every passing day, the ratio shifts more to the joy side of the equation. The realization that I no longer have to attend 3 day meetings, nor ride 13 hour flights to attend them (or worse, 24-28 hours door to door incl two or more connections) leaves me tickled to death.

On the other hand, I will sorely miss some (definitely not all) of my colleagues. I will not miss having my PA insist on putting meetings in my schedule when I need time to think of other things. I will miss the effort she puts into making sure my needs are met and my comfort assured. I will miss my CFO's help managing costs to be able to hit a profit target. I will not miss his calls and emails informing me of every little crisis. I will miss the discussions with my HR director about finding ways to motivate people. I will not miss the calls and emails about conflicts between colleagues, the sexual harassment claims and the resultant HR councils and firings. With every passing day, I see another one of these issues that "I never have to deal with again", and that brings the cheshire cat grin back to my face.

All is well. Christmas is right around the corner, and this year's gift is time.

R

Back
Top Bottom