Reached escape velocity

Here's what FIRECalc says about "escape velocity":

I used the defaults except: $1M portfolio, % equities, WR, and the key subtract $1M+$1 from the portfolio in 2043 (under the Portfolio Changes tab). The last item ensures that the portfolio value is larger than at the start by at least $1 at the end of the 30 years. Then I fixed the equities % and found the highest WR (to 0.1%) that still resulted in 100% success.

Equities %, SWR (100% success)
0%, 0.0%
10%, 0.3%
20%, 0.9%
30%, 1.4%
40%, 1.8%
50%, 2.1%
60%, 2.1%
70%, 2.2%
80%, 2.1%
90%, 2.1%
100%, 2.1%

Pretty tough to say you're at escape velocity, though certainly no withdrawals will work if you have the right portfolio.

I am pretty sure that I have reached escape velocity. The bull market makes it harder to tell, but even so I am pretty sure I am there. I am learning to loosen the purse strings a little more each year. Still, my nestegg keeps on growing by leaps and bounds faster than I can loosen them, despite living off my nestegg and my three figure FERS mini-pension.

And this morning, I sent off my marriage license and divorce decree to Social Security at their request, so that hopefully they can begin to pay me divorced spousal benefits while my own benefits continue to grow until age 70.

I was poorer than dirt for years and years, and now suddenly this? Life is strange! I am not religious, but still this almost feels like some sort of test.

That sounds great. What is a FERS mini-pension?

Here's what FIRECalc says about "escape velocity":

I used the defaults except: $1M portfolio, % equities, WR, and the key subtract $1M+$1 from the portfolio in 2043 (under the Portfolio Changes tab). The last item ensures that the portfolio value is larger than at the start by at least $1 at the end of the 30 years. Then I fixed the equities % and found the highest WR (to 0.1%) that still resulted in 100% success.

Equities %, SWR (100% success)
0%, 0.0%
10%, 0.3%
20%, 0.9%
30%, 1.4%
40%, 1.8%
50%, 2.1%
60%, 2.1%
70%, 2.2%
80%, 2.1%
90%, 2.1%
100%, 2.1%

Pretty tough to say you're at escape velocity, though certainly no withdrawals will work if you have the right portfolio.

Historically, 30 year TIPS yield 1 - 3% real with guaranteed return of principal if held to maturity.

That sounds great. What is a FERS mini-pension?

FERS is the retirement system for federal employees hired since the 1980's. I call it my "mini pension" or my "itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polkadot federal pension" sometimes, because in my case it isn't much; 4 figures annually, 3 figures each month. Still, it is good to have.

FERS is the retirement system for federal employees hired since the 1980's. I call it my "mini pension" or my "itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polkadot federal pension" sometimes, because in my case it isn't much; 4 figures annually, 3 figures each month. Still, it is good to have.

Okay I get it. I misinterpreted what you wrote to mean $100K+ annually and wanted to ask where I sign up!

Still good work. When we started getting serious about ER we were pleasantly surprised at how much our SS and random pensions from former employers added up to be, especially after we combined that with reviewing the budget and optimizing our living expenses, being in a lower tax bracket and not having to save for retirement any more.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that I have reached escape velocity...

What do you mean? :confused:

Aren't you already past Mars? :cool:

Just be sure you do not fall into Jupiter. Its mass is 300 times that of Earth.

Even I with a WR of 3.5% will escape, or am escaping, when I consider that in a few more years, I can turn on the rocket booster called SS if necessary.

And I just escaped the 110F heat, and am posting now in the cool mountain breeze. Life is just so darn good.

Last edited:
What do you mean? :confused:

Aren't you already past Mars? :cool:

Just be sure you do not fall into Jupiter. Its mass is 300 times that of Earth.

Even I with a WR of 3.5% will escape, or is escaping, when I consider that in a few more years, I can turn on the rocket booster called SS if necessary.

And I just escaped the 110F heat, and am posting now in the cool mountain breeze. Life is just so darn good.

It is supposedly 94F here right now, at almost 6 PM, but with our humidity it feels like at least 110F.... HOT hot hot hot hot. I am so glad I have ceiling fans to help the AC to keep up. Enjoy that cool mountain breeze. :D

As for falling into Jupiter, I am slowing coming to the conclusion that there are just a lot of things in life that are beyond our control. I'll do what I can to keep the StarShip W2R on course, and then just let go and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom