rebalancing could be bad

The premise of the article is that people rebalance to improve returns. You rebalance to maintain your risk.

Yes. Rebalancing could be bad. :fingerwag:

Only "buy low/sell high" works, and it works extremely well. :D

PS. Seriously, rebalancing may be just a placebo. People feel good that they are doing something. Some swear by the rebalance band method, some by the fixed date method and a certain frequency. The truth is it helps sometimes, and hurts other times. That's life. There is never any guarantee in life.

Now, let's keep partying.

Last edited:
One's chosen AA does not implicitly set one's overall risk IMO. It is often a PFA number that someone chooses. Some say that anywhere between 40/60 to 70/30 (give or take) results in historically similar results. That would imply the risk is about the same.

I asked my Fid rep to run some numbers for me comparing rebalance vs "steady as she goes". To his surprise, over the long term, the rebalance underperformed, albeit with more year on year variability. Since I am looking at a long term retirement of 30+ years, and expect there will be some $$ left for heirs, I am not rebalancing. I guess I'm one of those contrarians.

... The occasion to take a second look at rebalancing was my recent Retirement Weekly column, in which I reported on the long-term performance of numerous hypothetical retirement portfolios that involve regular rebalancing. Many of those portfolios performed far worse than expected, and rebalancing was the likely culprit. ...

B.S.

I took a hypothetical 60% VTSMX/40% VBMFX portfolio in Portfolio Visualizer of $1m with $40k starting withdrawal adjusted for inflation. Average annual returns from Jan 1993 to Jun 2019:

With annual rebalancing: 5.47%
With no rebalancing: 5.48%
With rebalance bands (default settings): 5.46%

Same runs but with no withdrawals:

With annual rebalancing: 8.21%
With no rebalancing: 8.28%
With rebalance bands (default settings): 8.22%

I will continue to rebalance to replenish cash for the past year's spending but I don't think it makes a big difference in the long run.

Last edited:
The premise of the article is that people rebalance to improve returns. You rebalance to maintain your risk.
Yes, this.

The lesson I take from this article is that if you look in the past and look at selective steep drops and gains, you can say you could've had better results not rebalancing. Unfortunately nobody can make investment decisions in the past.

IIRC the original robos, Wealthfront and Betterment used to advertise that their automatic rebalancing was good for a few tenths of one percent improved total return.

But ... "rebalancing could be bad." Yes. Also "rebalancing could be good." To get paid, these guys have to publish something. To get clicks, that something has to be interesting enough to generate page views. I guess it must be working for this guy, though I did not look at the page.

Wait around a bit.

I'm sure Marketwatch will have an article about the virtues of rebalancing :cool:.

I
But ... "rebalancing could be bad." Yes. Also "rebalancing could be good."

+1

"Could be" statements are right up there with "Up to" statements (Download speeds up to 100 mps!) and "As little as" statements ( Your payments may be as little as $100 a month!!) when it comes to raising my suspicions.

One's chosen AA does not implicitly set one's overall risk IMO. It is often a PFA number that someone chooses. Some say that anywhere between 40/60 to 70/30 (give or take) results in historically similar results. That would imply the risk is about the same.

I asked my Fid rep to run some numbers for me comparing rebalance vs "steady as she goes". To his surprise, over the long term, the rebalance underperformed, albeit with more year on year variability. Since I am looking at a long term retirement of 30+ years, and expect there will be some $$ left for heirs, I am not rebalancing. I guess I'm one of those contrarians.

So if theoretically you retired in 2009 with a 70/30 AA, with the following 10 year run up, you would not rebalance?
It is about maintaining one's risk levels, which is a main ingredient in picking an AA in the first place.

So if theoretically you retired in 2009 with a 70/30 AA, with the following 10 year run up, you would not rebalance?
It is about maintaining one's risk levels, which is a main ingredient in picking an AA in the first place.

Nope, I didn't rebalance over that period. While I wasn't at 70/30 starting in 2009, I'm currently 79% equities and have no immediate plans on changing. I think if one were at 70% back then, today they would be ~85% equities. That is based on SP500 and Barclays Aggregate index.

Nope, I didn't rebalance over that period. While I wasn't at 70/30 starting in 2009, I'm currently 79% equities and have no immediate plans on changing. I think if one were at 70% back then, today they would be ~85% equities. That is based on SP500 and Barclays Aggregate index.

So not sure one would feel comfortable at 85% stock exposure if their risk quotient started at 70%.
What happens if we reversed the numbers in a down market?

That is my point, not everyone uses AA as a rebalancing trigger, at least I don't. In my earlier post above, similar success results seem to be had anywhere from 40 to 70% equities. so what is the point in rebalancing if your target was 50% in 2009 and you are now at 70%?

Without running numbers, keeping more in equities in a rising market yields higher totals. One could lose more in a downturn, of course, but you are starting with a higher dollar amount. In historical perspectives, the net results in the end are virtually the same whether one rebalances or not, with not rebalancing making a very slightly higher end result, virtually identical for all practical purposes. See pb4uski's post above. Why bother sweating it with rebalancing? I don't see the point.

Well there is also the sleep better psychological factor.
Thus a 50% market drop with a 80/20 AA can "feel" different than with a 50/50 AA despite potential gains leading up to the drop, which effectively negate the extra lost dollars.

Does anyone rebalance monthly? That was what was mentioned in the article.

Technically yes, but in tiny ways. When I get all my interest and dividends at the beginning of each month it goes into the down asset class. We’re talking a few thousand dollars though.

Interesting! I have read and seen a few thread here on this subject and with the same results that the article found.

In 40 years being an investor in the market I have not once rebalanced. LOL Call me stupid/lazy or what ever but have done just fine. I figure if I do I will just screw it up anyway. LOL

There is little point.

Studies have shown that 1 year or slightly longer is optimal for rebalancing. You’ve got to give assets time to diverge.

So not sure one would feel comfortable at 85% stock exposure if their risk quotient started at 70%.

That is my point, not everyone uses AA as a rebalancing trigger, at least I don't. In my earlier post above, similar success results seem to be had anywhere from 40 to 70% equities. so what is the point in rebalancing if your target was 50% in 2009 and you are now at 70%?

Without running numbers, keeping more in equities in a rising market yields higher totals. One could lose more in a downturn, of course, but you are starting with a higher dollar amount. In historical perspectives, the net results in the end are virtually the same whether one rebalances or not, with not rebalancing making a very slightly higher end result, virtually identical for all practical purposes. See pb4uski's post above. Why bother sweating it with rebalancing? I don't see the point.

The point that CRLLS makes (the part I bolded) seems to be missed by many.

Are you really more risky if you don't rebalance? In the drawdown phase, you still have the same initial amount invested, that is what is at risk. If we had a big run up, we now have a higher % in stocks, but also a higher amount in stocks. So we can therefore accept a larger drop % and still have our money.

Maybe the psychological fear of a higher AA can be offset by this knowledge?

Well, that would be pretty extreme, and along with it, a pretty extreme increase in the $ amount in the portfolio, something we would not have if we kept selling to rebalance. Here's the numbers for your example:

Code:
700	300	70.00%	1,000
1,700	300	85.00%	2,000

After 50% drop in stocks:			
850	300	73.91%	1,150

To go from 70% AA to 85% AA, you need a 2.43x rise in stocks (assume bonds stay flat over this time). On a $1M portfolio, that takes a $700K stock holding to $1,700K. You have $1,000K more than you had before, and will have more after a drop as well.

But as I've tried to point out in some other threads, before we get to deep in the why and how something 'works' (or doesn't work), we ought to first see if it does work. And from the data we've seen here and elsewhere, rebalancing really doesn't seem to work, or at least works sometimes and doesn't work others, but there are many things like that.

And pb4uski's post #5 is a much better test of this, the above numbers don't take into account w/d and changes in bonds, it only illustrates it in an over-simplified form.

Bottom line, I don't sweat AA or rebalancing, there just does not seem to be much sensitivity to these things.

-ERD50

@ERD50 - Check out post #14 in detail - point not missed.... lol

If the market just bounces around, rebalancing helps.

In a long steady climb, rebalancing means you keep selling stocks while the price is rising. You leave money on the table, and miss out.

In a long steady decline, you keep buying to throw good money after bad. You lose more than if you do nothing.

In the 2008-2009 Great Recession, many of us bought into the weakness, and we did well when the stock chart turned out to be V-shaped.

We did raise the possibility of the market being L-shaped. We would be dead meat.

Last edited:

I do not rebalance monthly per se, but I try to skim the top of frothy stocks or sectors. Usually, I buy something else that has been depressed.

If I do not find anything good to buy, then the proceed sits in cash, and lowers my equity AA.

:D

Circa the 1960's and 70's when early versions of 401k were starting to be available I researched what 'the big boys' aka pension funds were doing plus read Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor.

Bench marked 60/40.

Now male hormones being what they is - I played all sorts of games with 'side money'. Harry Browne, pssst - Wellesley, REIT's, rental RE, Timberland, etc.

1966 - to 2006 60/40 was the tortoise that won with the big dog being 'Bogle's Folly' since 1977.

2006 went Target Retirement 2015.

heh heh heh - Long winter night's during football season I'm tempted to pick 'a few good stocks' with mad money. Depends on how the Saint's are doing and now the Chief's are on the radar. :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

Back
Top Bottom