Received first SS cheque ... and invoice for part B.

Jackanory

Recycles dryer sheets
Yay, just received my first cheque, after waiting til age 70! (I've been paying for Medicare part B via invoice each month.) The first cheque covered December and does not deduct part B, the next cheque covers January and will have part B deducted.

Clearly, the invoice I received for February part B coverage is a mistake, but what course of action ... should I simply not pay, or hang my head and try to contact SSA to clear this up? Efforts to contact SSA seldom come with an easy button, but the 'non payment' repercussions seem onerous.

Thoughts?

Yay, just received my first cheque, after waiting til age 70! (I've been paying for Medicare part B via invoice each month.) The first cheque covered December and does not deduct part B, the next cheque covers January and will have part B deducted.

Clearly, the invoice I received for February part B coverage is a mistake, but what course of action ... should I simply not pay, or hang my head and try to contact SSA to clear this up? Efforts to contact SSA seldom come with an easy button, but the 'non payment' repercussions seem onerous.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately, I don't have any thoughts on your situation, but I am interested in what happens. Late this year I will file at age 70 on my own record. My SS path is tortuous, presently on spousal, no IRMAA, then IRMAA, benefit, no "benefit" and paid by check for Part B IRMAA, etc. etc. When I have time I should start a separate thread on it.

If nothing else, at least this brings your post up to the top of the list again :)

Thoughts?
They are sure to reconcile and pay the Medicare B from the monthly pension. They are not quick but they are thorough. If you have an online account with the Social Security Administration you should be able to log in and confirm the charge and net amount you will receive.

Back
Top Bottom