Red Beet Greens Salad

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have always liked red beets so that is always a garden favorite for me. I have been using the whole beet plant, greens and small beets as a salad product. Some say it is like swiss char, but I think it is better tasting etc..

The taste is so superior from lettuce and health benefits are better. Lettuce really has little health benefit if any at all.

Anyone every try or use the beets plant as a salad or use it on other sandwiches etc.?

Swiss chard and beets were bred from the same species, Beta vulgaris. Chard was bred for their leaves, and beets for their roots.

As a kid we always bought the whole plant (or got them from granma's garden). Never used the greens for a salad, but loved them boiled/steamed, like spinach.

And granma always had swiss chard, cooked the same way.

The baby beet leaves seem to be a common addition to the "spring mix" packages of greens we see in the stores today.

I agree, they are very good, seem to keep better than some lettuce in that mix, and I'd say are much more mild than Swiss Chard. Good combination!

-ERD50

As a kid we always bought the whole plant (or got them from granma's garden). Never used the greens for a salad, but loved them boiled/steamed, like spinach.

And granma always had swiss chard, cooked the same way.

Yes, I do that also, but I now use them as a fresh salad product instead of boiling them.

anethum, I guess I never knew that, thanks for sharing it.

I also like beets cut in slabs and fried with favorite seasonings. Absolutely can't wait till they get that baseball size to have them.

I just pickled/canned beets for the 1st time. I was surprised how much sugar it called for

Lettuce has lots of phyto nutrients. Plus you can eat a whole head of lettuce and it is 20 calories or something. :)

I like beets and rutabaga. Rutabaga is the forgotten gem.

Lettuce has lots of phyto nutrients. Plus you can eat a whole head of lettuce and it is 20 calories or something. :)

I like beets and rutabaga. Rutabaga is the forgotten gem.

That is true!

I hope you try making borscht in the late summer when everything is ready from the garden.

My father used to use pork ribs (boiled once, rinsed then boiled to make the stock) along with onions, carrots, potatoes, peas, dill, of course beets.....and at the end some beet leaves to give it that piquant flavor.

It is a beautiful soup and if you leave out the potatoes, it can be easily frozen for those winter days.

One of my favorite summer suppers with good bread.

I hope you try making borscht in the late summer when everything is ready from the garden.

My father used to use pork ribs (boiled once, rinsed then boiled to make the stock) along with onions, carrots, potatoes, peas, dill, of course beets.....and at the end some beet leaves to give it that piquant flavor.

It is a beautiful soup and if you leave out the potatoes, it can be easily frozen for those winter days.

One of my favorite summer suppers with good bread.

Borscht is a cabbage soup with beets, at least in my mom's Russian Molokan church recipe book. I tried borscht with fresh beets and it was really bland. Adding some lemon juice really helped.

Beets freeze well. My family doesn't like beets.:(

If you have a foodsaver or other vacuum sealer, a neat way to let your greens last longer, especially lettuce, is to make "salad in a jar". I cut up my washed lettuce, dry it fairly well, and lightly pack it into Mason jars. Vacuum sealing the Mason jar keeps the lettuce fresh a lot longer. Probably works for other greens, but most don't seem to wilt to quickly anyway.

spirit & EastWest Gal, I had Borscht both ways also. I really like anything with vegetables in it.

I try to make a couple of all vegetables soups in the fall and freeze till those old winter nights, or a cold winter lunch is ideal!! With a chewy bread is awesome.

I used to not like beets, probably because my mother boiled the life out of them.

When I discovered roasted beets it totally changed my mind. Easy to do in a toaster oven.

braumeister,

I detest fresh beets, pickled beets, and borscht...but am willing to try roasted beets...at least once. :LOL:

How do you prepare them when roasting?? Any spices, etc...or just slice (how thick?) and roast for how long and at what temp? Do you flip them part way through?

omni

Just google roasted beets and you'll find loads of recipes. Such a simple thing; you're not likely to go wrong.

braumeister,

I detest fresh beets, pickled beets, and borscht...but am willing to try roasted beets...at least once. [emoji23]

How do you prepare them when roasting?? Any spices, etc...or just slice (how thick?) and roast for how long and at what temp? Do you flip them part way through?

omni
The young wife roasts them whole, in aluminum foil packages. She puts about three or four whole washed beets of equal size in each foil package and puts the packages in the oven in order of size. Biggest first. 400 deg. Golf ball sized ones take about 30 to 35 minutes, bigger ones longer, smaller ones less. Once removed and cooled, open the package and remove the skin by rubbing it off by hand under cold running water.

We grow beets in the garden and eat them often. Usually roasted and then cold in a salad. We also pickle them and can them for later.

I like roasted beets and stir-fry the leaves like I would chard. I can only eat a small amount of beert root though as it goes right through me for some reason...

I like beet root salad. I prefer the taste when the beet has been boiled prior to making the salad, but I don’t mind eating it raw either. I also eat the greens which I mix with lettuce for a tasty salad. I grow a lot of beets in my garden. They keep well throughout the winter in the root cellar.

WOW! Glad to see others like beets. My new discovery of using them as a salad has been a great find for me.

Back
Top Bottom