Refrigerator longevity

Last time I was in an appliance store, there were some items with big signs on them saying "BUILT TO LAST 10 YEARS!" - as if that's something to brag about?!

:LOL:

Might as well say "BUILT TO BREAK IN 10 YEARS!" :facepalm:

We had one of the original Frigidaire refrigerators from the 1930’s in our basement when I was growing up. Dad brought that thing home from who knows where and we used it as an overflow fridge for 20 yrs. When it finally died I drug it up the basement stairs and another flight of stairs in the back yard to the alley. A few days later I noticed every bit of vegetation along the drag path was dead dead dead. That’s when I learned that ammonia was used as the refrigerant back then. I must’ve broken a line dragging it. Lucky it didn’t kill me too.

Sunset they have brushes for the fridge to clean out the bottom. I hold a shopvac at the bottom to suck up all the dust.

Thanks...
I did borrow a brush from my Uncle, (why buy one for a yearly use), and it helped a lot.

Still it was not perfect, a clever manufacturing change putting the coils on the bottom instead of the back, where they could be wiped with a damp rag. :mad:

:LOL:

Might as well say "BUILT TO BREAK IN 10 YEARS!" :facepalm:

Yep - kind of like the "Up to 10 hours battery life!". What that literally means is, any battery life from zero to 10 hours can be expected, but never, never expect it to run for one second longer than 10 hours. I guess you could make a warranty claim if you got 11 hours out of it?

-ERD50

What do you have and what type of longevity are you seeing from your refrigerator?

We have a 28 year old Maytag side-by-side that is still working. My husband has replaced the defroster a couple of times and part of the icemaker.

I don't think that we will see that type of longevity with its replacement.

Kenmore top-mount Model 106.64252401.
Basic top mount fridge.
Clean the condenser coils semi-annually to maximize efficiency/extend life.

Fridge is now 16 years old -never had a problem.

never had a fridge failure. I had the compressor start switch go bad. ordered replacement online and it was a snap fit... no tools required.

well... believe it or not... still have my fridge from 1945 still running fine and its super cold.... the bad thing about it is you have to defrost it every 6 months or you can't open the freezer box and it box turns into a giant ice cube.... I keep waiting on it to die but it just keeps on going... :dance:

Appliances that are still working:

Kenmore dryer - Nov 2000 - I install the "rebuild kit" (rollers, drum seal, belt, belt tensioner - about $70) when it starts the steady, small thump, thump that indicates the rubber rollers are worn (about 5-7 years - the next kit is in the cabinet above the dryer.).

Kenmore HE washer - Apr 2013

Frigidaire upright freezer - Aug 2009 - The seal at the top of the door is beginning to leak (bit of frost over several weeks) so perhaps a seal replacement or maybe a minor door adjustment. Not the most efficient freezer and it's a bit noisy but we needed a replacement in a hurry when the previous freezer died and this one was available. The noise isn't a problem because the freeezer is in the laundry room.

Bosch dishwater - Feb 2011 - ALL the Bosch units which use the same plastic housing have the same problem - the magnetic switch that knows whether the door is closed begins to be separated from the magnet as the plastic deforms. Adding a small shim above the top center of the opening resolves that but may it may need a thicker shim over time - the plastic housing will continue to deform.

LG over-the-stove microwave oven - Feb 2009

Samsung French door, bottom freezer fridge - Oct 2017

Kenmore gas range - May 2008 - I did have to put the oven door handle back on when the screws came loose (likely a factory assembly problem of the screws not being torqued correctly). Getting the door open without the handle to get the food out when the oven was at 350F was interesting ;-)

We do tend to keep things "forever": 20 years for my wife's '95 Camry, 18 years for my previous truck, 17 years for the previous riding mower but I've been a shadetree mechanic since I started repairing flat tires on my bicycle when I was in elementary school.

When a small UPS died (provides power to the internet equipment) and the manufacturer wanted $50 for the replacement AGM (lead-acid) battery (specific to the unit and not commonly available) or $100 for a new equivalent UPS, I dived into the world of newer battery technology and build a replacement using LiFePO4 cells for under $20. Am I cheap? I'd say frugal. I got an education in newer battery technology, I saved $30+ and the expected service life of the replacement battery pack is at least 5 times the life of the manufacturer's $50 battery so I've saved $50 several times in the future.

I have two side by side GE ref/freezer combs.. (mid price range models)... One is a ~12 year old and the other is about 8... Ice makers failed in both within the first two years... (Ice trays are a cheap and easy fix ;))... Other than that, both seem to be still going strong...

I bought a Kenmore refrigerator in 1977. Before buying it I researched refrigerators in Consumer Reports and they said refrigerators with ice makers were much more failure prone than those without. Sure enough my fridge is still going strong in 2021 and the only thing I have had to replace were the $1 rubber bushings supporting the compressor. I’ll never buy a fridge with an ice maker.

Many US brands are actually made in Mexico now. Whirlpool is mediocre. ....

I have my father's Whirlpool washer from 1998 installed here now. I will nurse that one along until it can no longer be repaired. It gets the laundry clean.

Funny, I was just looking at Consumer Reports' fridge reviews yesterday and they generally gave Whirlpool good ratings, as I recall. Agree that they don't make 'em like they used to, however. It used to be the average fridge life was 17 years. Now I think it's more like 12. Smaller, less complicated models tends to last longer IMO.

I am nursing along my 1994 Whirlpool 24 cu ft refrigerator. It still works OK (had to jerry rig a fix for broken bottom plastic tray that holds hydrator bins). The newer models have many features I don't like and lack ones I do (like freezer light), and are much bulkier, likely due to more insulation. When I finally get a new one it will necessitate a minor remodel to fit in my smallish 1920 kitchen.

I bought a Kenmore refrigerator in 1977. Before buying it I researched refrigerators in Consumer Reports and they said refrigerators with ice makers were much more failure prone than those without. Sure enough my fridge is still going strong in 2021 and the only thing I have had to replace were the $1 rubber bushings supporting the compressor. I’ll never buy a fridge with an ice maker.

Wow, you get an award for one of the oldest fridges still in use :clap: In 1977 "durable goods" were still durable!

+1 for no ice maker. Among fridges over 18 cu ft they ALL seem to have them though (except maybe Liebherr)

My basement came with a 1949 refrigerator with the pull down handle. Still works last time I plugged it in. Will make someone a great kegerator.

well... believe it or not... still have my fridge from 1945 still running fine and its super cold.... the bad thing about it is you have to defrost it every 6 months or you can't open the freezer box and it box turns into a giant ice cube.... I keep waiting on it to die but it just keeps on going... :dance:

Whoops, looks like YOU get the award :dance:

Is that your primary fridge, or auxiliary?

WOW!!!!!

our present one was put in in 2008 even though it it worked fine, the the paint was wearing as it a 1978t was a 1978 model

Still have a 22" 1994 Frigidaire side-by-side that's working fine, but it has seen some repairs over the years. Icemaker solenoid (with a water leak that I caught in time), couple of defrost timers. That's it. It has better insulation than prior models due to energy star mandates that year IIRC, the power usage is not bad.

Typical plastic shelving breakage stuff but everything still holds with a little help from duct tape, nothing too bad. My guess is that when it goes out we'll get a top-freezer and live without ice and water through the door, it's not a big deal and the top-freezers last a lot longer than these engineered to fail side-by-side/french door units now.

I’ve stuck with Whirlpool appliances, have a side by side with ice maker, zero problems in nearly 15 years.

I’ve heard horror stories on Samsung & LG fridges.

Like others here, twice a year I’ll shop vac the vents.

I’ll never buy a fridge with an ice maker.

Oh, we use the icemaker too much to give that up. However (and this is huge) I can usually fix them when they break. Worst case is simply buy a new icemaker and replace it. So far with this one it has always been some issue with the water supply to the icemaker, not the icemaker itself. Although lately I'm having to "reboot" it more frequently than usual. I'm not sure if that's because we're using more ice because of the hot weather or if it's "on the way out".

Fewer and fewer years

The problem with appliances, particularly refrigerators, is the increasing usage of chips throughout the system. Oftentimes there is a single motherboard that controls virtually all functions on the appliance, and when that goes the cost to replace it is very high. And specifically when it comes to a fridge the ice maker is the single biggest point of failure. They all go quickly and cause headaches, no manufacturer more than Samsung. As an aside, Samsung makes very good washers and dryers, but I would never buy one of their refrigerators after our experience before getting our current Whirlpool model.

Appliances that are still working:

Kenmore dryer - Nov 2000 - I install the "rebuild kit" (rollers, drum seal, belt, belt tensioner - about $70) when it starts the steady, small thump, thump that indicates the rubber rollers are worn (about 5-7 years - the next kit is in the cabinet above the dryer.).

Kenmore HE washer - Apr 2013

Frigidaire upright freezer - Aug 2009 - The seal at the top of the door is beginning to leak (bit of frost over several weeks) so perhaps a seal replacement or maybe a minor door adjustment. Not the most efficient freezer and it's a bit noisy but we needed a replacement in a hurry when the previous freezer died and this one was available. The noise isn't a problem because the freeezer is in the laundry room.

Bosch dishwater - Feb 2011 - ALL the Bosch units which use the same plastic housing have the same problem - the magnetic switch that knows whether the door is closed begins to be separated from the magnet as the plastic deforms. Adding a small shim above the top center of the opening resolves that but may it may need a thicker shim over time - the plastic housing will continue to deform.

LG over-the-stove microwave oven - Feb 2009

Samsung French door, bottom freezer fridge - Oct 2017

Kenmore gas range - May 2008 - I did have to put the oven door handle back on when the screws came loose (likely a factory assembly problem of the screws not being torqued correctly). Getting the door open without the handle to get the food out when the oven was at 350F was interesting ;-)

We do tend to keep things "forever": 20 years for my wife's '95 Camry, 18 years for my previous truck, 17 years for the previous riding mower but I've been a shadetree mechanic since I started repairing flat tires on my bicycle when I was in elementary school.

When a small UPS died (provides power to the internet equipment) and the manufacturer wanted $50 for the replacement AGM (lead-acid) battery (specific to the unit and not commonly available) or $100 for a new equivalent UPS, I dived into the world of newer battery technology and build a replacement using LiFePO4 cells for under $20. Am I cheap? I'd say frugal. I got an education in newer battery technology, I saved $30+ and the expected service life of the replacement battery pack is at least 5 times the life of the manufacturer's $50 battery so I've saved $50 several times in the future.

Our Maytag washer is so old, our repair guy only guessed at 35 to 40 years. He seems to keep it going by doing something every 5 years or so. $150 for parts and labor is way cheaper than a new one. He has a vested interest but suggests we just keep fixing it. I guess we'll see since YMMV.

It may be true that the old machines last a whole lot longer, but the electricity cost for them must be pretty high. A friend of mine had an old greenish yellow fridge (I don't know what decades they made fridges with ugly colors) but she said her monthly electric bill came down by over $20 after replacing ot with a new one.

Very true

It may be true that the old machines last a whole lot longer, but the electricity cost for them must be pretty high. A friend of mine had an old greenish yellow fridge (I don't know what decades they made fridges with ugly colors) but she said her monthly electric bill came down by over $20 after replacing ot with a new one.

Great point. Especially true with appliances that are on all the time, like refrigerators and freezers. That is why I don't worry too much about replacing them when they start to get more problematic (I do keep most stuff going as long as possible with repairs and replacements myself, until they get to be too much of a hassle). On the flip side our over the stove microwave, a GE model, is from 2000 and is still running strong. But since it only is used sporadically I don't worry about the energy cost.

Our Maytag washer is so old, our repair guy only guessed at 35 to 40 years. He seems to keep it going by doing something every 5 years or so. $150 for parts and labor is way cheaper than a new one. He has a vested interest but suggests we just keep fixing it. I guess we'll see since YMMV.

I can no longer update my old thread (ref below) - we left that classic Maytag washer behind when we moved this spring, but it was still going as of then. I kind of kidded with the new owners about this 'retro/classic', but I don't think they were impressed ;)

My last update, July 20, 2020...

Another annual update. Still running for another year (did a seal replacement last year, mentioned a few posts back).

So that's 34 years on the machine, another seven years after I first posted this, and some people saying don't bother. The original fix 7 years ago was a cakewalk, the seal replacement last year a bit more work.

What are the odds a new machine would have caused more trouble than this in the past 7 years?

-ERD50

We ended up with a GE top load for the new-to-us home. Wanted the Speed Queen with mechanical knobs/timer, but we had to choose from stock on hand, the Speed Queen had the no stock and no promise data at the time. We'll see if this GE hold up for 7 years with no/minor repairs.

OK, back to refrigerators...

-ERD50

It may be true that the old machines last a whole lot longer, but the electricity cost for them must be pretty high. A friend of mine had an old greenish yellow fridge (I don't know what decades they made fridges with ugly colors) but she said her monthly electric bill came down by over $20 after replacing it with a new one.

The cost difference is often over-hyped.

I have an old fridge (1992 -used as spare/ beer fridge in the basement since 2010) and old upright freezer that's been in the garage (1987). We took both of them with us when we moved this spring.

Yes, these use more energy than the newer models (* see note below), but not a huge amount more. I measured them with my Kill-a-Watt meter, and figured the 2010 fridge (with ice maker off) saved ~ $6 a month. So for $72 a year, I'm not going to throw a working unit in a landfill, and invest more energy in making a new one that might not even last as long as the old anyhow.

The freezer costs ~ $6/month to run, so even if new ones are 2x in efficiency, the savings is would only be ~ $36/year. IMO, it doesn't make environmental or economical sense to trash them.

The generation before these, from the 60's and 70's might be more of an energy hog, but we shouldn't be painting all these old units as hogs, a lot of them are not so bad, and it should be put into perspective (which most of the PSA I see do not - they make it sound like you are a bad person if you have an old appliance).

(* note) - I'd have to research it again, but I think the new 'energy star' ratings do not include the energy for the ice maker. That's crazy. And the way these release the ice cubes is by heating them, so they melt enough to release from the mold. Hmmmm, actually adding heat to the inside of a refrigerator - that's not going to improve efficiency!

-ERD50

Last edited:
For all the people here who are concerned about ice maker failures, not a single one of our fridges has ever had the ice maker and water dispenser on the outside door failed. That is my 22 years of experience across various brands until we sold our homes- Whirlpool (16 years), Kitchen Aid (8 years) and GE (8 years). We have never owned a LG or Samsung and have no intention of ever owning one. Our 22-year old Sub Zero which we inherited when we bought our current home this year, the module which dispensed ice and water had failed for many years and the previous owners never got it fixed. We paid $750 to get it fixed and it is now working properly.

Back
Top Bottom