Relocation Priorities (How does one decide what's important?)

But then I don't like crowds, and like having space around. (I live just east of where the population density goes to what in the 1870s would have been called frontier (2 per sq mile, It drops off fairly rapidly away from the local river)...
You made me look. True, there's not a whole lot from where you are to Big Bend NP. I don't remember how I found some blogs of people living in Terlingua, but they were interesting.

I do like some space around me, but one can have too much space. I have not been to the Big Bend, but will make a detour in the next RV trek.

Not far north of where you are is south Central PA. One thing we have here is music and theater. I could play in a band every night, Monday through Thursday and not drive more than 20 minutes. There are two community orchestras and a professional orchestra within 15 miles of my house. Philly is nearby and NYC is a close enough for a long day trip by train. There are community big bands too. Several colleges have music programs. One nearby college routinely fills in the orchestra with community members. The high school marching band compete more diligently than the football teams. Minor league baseball, two teams nearby. Penn State is an hour or two north. Our township has a public golf course and there are at least three more nearby.

And our idea of a traffic jam is laughable.

Yes, it's a bit cold most winters, much the same as where you are now, but not usually brutal. And where it's cold there's skiing.

Taxes aren't bad, with no state income tax on retirement income, SS, IRA and 401K withdrawals. There are also some nice towns that are walkable as well as cornfields, horse farms and farmer's markets.

Well Raleigh-Durham have an active classical music culture. But it may be too cold for OP. Also, we have too many people moving here anyway. Getting too crowded.

You made me look. True, there's not a whole lot from where you are to Big Bend NP. I don't remember how I found some blogs of people living in Terlingua, but they were interesting.

I do like some space around me, but one can have too much space. I have not been to the Big Bend, but will make a detour in the next RV trek.

Assuming it is in the winter, summer is extremly hot there.
If you go there also go to Fort Davis and the Davis Mtns.

(Actually another way to look at it, is 10 or so miles west on I-10 the speed limit goes to 80, which is another good sign of being in the middle of nowhere. )

Yes, I know. No water either. People living in Terlingua whose blogs I read have to truck water in. Amazing they can live there.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom