Remote Home Temperature Monitoring, & External Camera View

Here's one, even cheaper - no cell/wifi programming, but a simple 7 day timer for $13. Gets good reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Heav...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7B9AZBKGVVZ70FNPV67K

• Up to 8 on/off programs, Independent time settings for minutes, hours, days, and more
  • 125VAC, 15A, 60 Hz, 1/2HP, 1725W, LCD digital display battery backup dual outlet feature
  • Dual outlet grounded timer; Settings automatically backed up in case of power failure
  • Timers are also essential for all hydroponic system applications UL Approved
  • Save time and energy, Use for sprinklers, lights, hydroponics, illumination, heat, A/C, and other electronics

-ERD50

I get an email from the electric company if there is power loss in my immediate area plus status updates which include estimates of when power will be restored. And notification when it is.

They installed a smart meter on our house a few years ago so I think it’s even possible to see the meter numbers which would let you know if it’s runnung.

We have to phone our electric company to tell them when our power goes out. :facepalm:

I have the same problem, and am very frustrated with the poor system availability we’ve had due to ISP and internet hw issues. My technical advisor told me there are 2 options. One is to plug in a switch with an outlet that automatically cycles off/on on a regular schedule- say once per week, and power the router with that outlet. The other is to install a switch that has a cellular operated circuit, so you can call it and switch it off and on.

Brilliant idea.

I have these electronic timers with batteries inside, they are great as if there is power failure they keep their settings for months (I have a couple unplugged for 4 months and just plugged them in and everything was already still set).

I would set it to turn off/on for a short time like 15 minutes at 3am every day.
Why not reset it every day as some routers like mine allow that setting within the router so it must be ok.
That way if it goes funky there is no waiting days until the next weekly reboot.

I agree on SimpliSafe. You can use the cheap plan for 14.95 if u want. Flood and temp sensors available.

I get an email from the electric company if there is power loss in my immediate area plus status updates which include estimates of when power will be restored. And notification when it is.

They installed a smart meter on our house a few years ago so I think it’s even possible to see the meter numbers which would let you know if it’s running.

Likewise, the utility installed smart meters for both gas and electric which can be checked online at any time. Prior to leaving we shutoff the well and drain the water lines. If as problem surfaces DS is only 30 minutes away.
No wifi at the lakehouse and perhaps no cable TV either this year. Makes for quality family time :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom