Remote working withdrawn at...

Actually - since Yahoo is based in Silicon valley - there are lots of opportunities for disgruntled employees to get other jobs. The market up there has really heated up. (Even in So Cal I get calls from headhunters offering jobs/relo packages.) A few former coworkers have migrated north to take advantage.

I think it's stealth layoff... they WANT to reduce headcount without the expense of severance, outplacement, unemployment premiums going up....

This is the trend these days. My employer is doing similar stuff - at another (larger) site they're moving the campus (less than 50 miles) and telling employees - tough luck if you don't like it. Benefits have dramatically been cut in the past few years... and as people leave, they don't hire replacements.

I think Yahoo is being very intentional in this... and hoping for net headcount reduction.

Same here. During the last few years of my employment, I had the option to work at home and/or the office. I'd typically go into the office one or two days a week since I found some face to face interaction was valuable "in my job". There's no doubt in my mind that the success of working from home depends [-]a lot[/-] almost entirely on the type of job and the type of person. In my case, I don't think my productivity suffered at all and it did encourage me to stay around for a few more years. It was a win/win for me and the company.

I'm not sure much else needs to be said. DW telecommuted on & off for many years, depending mostly on her higher-ups' personalities and management styles. Some were stodgy, some progressive, and some just petty -- "If I can't work at home, nobody else is going to either."

Her decision whether to work at home or go in (when she was allowed) was day to day, and she knew very well where she would be most effective/productive, and would often split the day -- half at home -- half in-office.

It's not for everyone, and not always appropriate, but in this technological age, are sweeping arbitrary policies best for the business? I guess that's why they make the big bucks, but I often wonder about that too. YMMV.

Tyro

Back
Top Bottom