Rental Car Lesson

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This may not be news to some here but it was to me; thought I'd pass it along.

Back in August I reserved a three month car rental starting this week. Being six months out, I got an excellent price.

Because of the snowstorm here in New England my flight has been delayed by a day. I called the rental car company (won't name names; but one of the majors) and was told that regardless of reason, if I don't show up on the date specified, I lose that price/reservation and now must pay the current rate which for three months is $600 more.

The extra $200/month won't break me, but I found it hard to believe that showing up a day late would completely erase my reservation, especially if I called them and told them so. I just wanted to modify the reservation by one day.

Yes, I went up the chain of command and also called the local rental location directly. Nada.

So, I don't know if this is standard for all rental outfits or if there was some fine print I missed but thought I'd pass it on. Next time, I'll plan for pick-up a day or two after my planned arrival or better yet, make two reservations on different dates!

Since the change was caused by nature and out of your control, the car rental company wasn't reasonable.

I would say post the car rental company's name and branch location.

I would say post the car rental company's name and branch location.
+1 Even the airlines "often" flex a bit when it's weather related.

Agree on posting the car rental companies name. And that they were unreasonable given the circumstance. What passes for business practice surprises me these days.

To me, a contract is a contract. RCC wasn't responsible for you not showing.

Several months ago I booked a rental car in Dublin through the company Sixt. It was a great deal. I booked it through Expedia for TD, which has a direct link to my credit card, which, amongst other things, guarantees car rental insurance. When I arrived in Dublin, Sixt would not accept my credit card’s insurance unless I get my credit card company to email them to confirm coverage. Otherwise I would have to pay several hundred Euros for their insurance. I called TD in Toronto but nobody was available as it was the middle of the night there. So I ended up renting a car from Avis instead. It was a bit more expensive, but they accepted my TD Insurance, because they have more experience. I posted a bad review of Sixt on Trip Advisor and I will not use them in the future. I also communicated with TD and got a specific letter outlining the car rental insurance coverage associated with my credit card.

Whether it's fair ot not, I don't know of any rental car company that will honor the rate if you show up a day late. A few hours, so problem, but a day late tends to be a deal breaker. I've used all the major companies and always ask what happens if my plans are forced to change, due to weather or otherwise - the answer is always the same - you pay the prevailing rate.

Several months ago I booked a rental car in Dublin through the company Sixt. It was a great deal. I booked it through Expedia for TD, which has a direct link to my credit card, which, amongst other things, guarantees car rental insurance. When I arrived in Dublin, Sixt would not accept my credit card’s insurance unless I get my credit card company to email them to confirm coverage. Otherwise I would have to pay several hundred Euros for their insurance. I called TD in Toronto but nobody was available as it was the middle of the night there. So I ended up renting a car from Avis instead. It was a bit more expensive, but they accepted my TD Insurance, because they have more experience. I posted a bad review of Sixt on Trip Advisor and I will not use them in the future. I also communicated with TD and got a specific letter outlining the car rental insurance coverage associated with my credit card.

I had a similar experience with Sixt. It was only for a 3 day rental so I reluctantly signed for the insurance.

Whether it's fair ot not, I don't know of any rental car company that will honor the rate if you show up a day late. A few hours, so problem, but a day late tends to be a deal breaker. I've used all the major companies and always ask what happens if my plans are forced to change, due to weather or otherwise - the answer is always the same - you pay the prevailing rate.

Seems to be reasonable.........they are good about not charging you if you don't show . Wonder if in OP's case if they would have honored the contract if he had guaranteed payment w/ credit card so he would have paid for day he wasn't there but at the lower monthly rate.

I am with Senator.... I would not change the dates of the reservation but say I was picking it up the next day.... give them a CC number so they can charge you...

BUT, what happens when the RCC does not honor their contract? I have had this happen to me before... rented a larger car and when I get there, nope, we do not have any that size... OK, put me in one bigger for the same price... NO.. we do not have anything bigger either...

In your view though, a contract is a contract and they should get me a car as I was not responsible for their error...

BUT, what happens when the RCC does not honor their contract? I have had this happen to me before... rented a larger car and when I get there, nope, we do not have any that size... OK, put me in one bigger for the same price... NO.. we do not have anything bigger either...
What happens is the traveler gets screwed. Travelers are always at an extreme disadvantage: strange place, maybe even a foreign country. Companies prey on this fact.

I love traveling, but do not enjoy the process.

That's true but I was hoping for a little bit of leeway in the interest of customer service. Most companies are willing to work with you. Wouldn't mind but they're walking away from a $4K billing when I go to another RCC.

OP here. I went back to the RCC trying for to get to a supervisor.

Well, while I was talking and being transferred to 8 different people and departments at Budget Rent a Car, DW was online with Hertz. Budget told me that there were no supervisors available but if I gave them my number a supervisor would call me back. Still waiting.

We got a similar car from Hertz for $60 more than my August quote; much better than the $600 they wanted charge me.

So Budget walked away from a $4K sale and I have a car for about the same price.

Live and learn!

I don't know of any RCC that will allow you to change the terms of a reservation and still use the rate that was charged when you originally booked it. I will bet Hertz would do the same thing.

Car rental coverage in Ireland is very difficult. Most credit cards exclude Ireland and a few other countries. Not sure why. I can understand Sixt wanting proof.

On the topic of car rentals and insurance, OP might want to check the terms of his/her auto policy and credit card to see if they cover a long-term rental. That's another common exclusion in addition to certain countries. Yet another exclusion that comes to mind is vehicle type-large vans and luxury/exotics are often excluded as well.

Car rental coverage in Ireland is very difficult. Most credit cards exclude Ireland and a few other countries. Not sure why. I can understand Sixt wanting proof.

Major car rental companies in Ireland accept Canadian, but not US, credit card coverage. My observations are based on 31 years of experience, probably 30 or so car rentals, and on what they told me. This was the first time I have ever been refused using a Canadian credit card. I don’t know the rationale. I wonder if that is because they don’t want to be on the hook for US medical costs in the event of an injury?

Last edited:
On the topic of car rentals and insurance, OP might want to check the terms of his/her auto policy and credit card to see if they cover a long-term rental.

OP here. We've been doing long term rentals every winter for almost 40 years now. We got the insurance angle covered.
The rate/day change was a surprise.

Here's my very similar story. They have no intention of renting you the car unless you buy their overpriced insurance. My story included having a recording with me of one of their reps saying that the CC insurance would be accepted. Type "Easirent Scam" into Google and you'll probably find my rant, along with 100's of others.

By the way, I've only used "name brand" companies and I've had my CC send me a letter with my name and CC number that says the insurance is good in such and such country. That's worked for me with the big rental companies. I'll never rent from a company who's name is associated with the word "scam".

Last edited:
For the past two years I have been using Megacorp's negotiated rate. It is in my profile, and I 'forget' to exclude it when renting. (retired 2 years)

Lower rates, no charge for an extra driver, no add on insurance (use it domestic only).

As I understand, megacorp gets a "rebate" based on usage. So far no one has commented.:dance:

OP are you in the CRC's "preferred" program? Wondering if this would have any impact. I've also found member rates are generally far better than any other advertised deals. For this reason I've used Avis the few times I've rented personally, and I really like their "pick the car you want" thing vs. what you are assigned.

I would think the RCC would simply charge OP for the first day the car is not used and let him pick it up the 2nd day.

However, the few times I was renting a lot, I noticed the rules for returning a car, if you rented it for a bunch of days and said you would return it at 3pm and actually brought it more than 30 minutes overdue, they would charge you extra. Even though the last day of your rental might end at 8pm !!
They didn't have a charge for early dropoff, so I started saying I'd return the car about 1.5 hrs later than I actually intended.

These stories of renting in Ireland, combined with the incredible complaint stories I just read on tripAdvisor are making me think twice about an Ireland trip.

I've seen via groupon emails about a roughly week long trip to Ireland with air and hotels and car rental for $800. It sounds great until I read about the car rental scams/tricks.

These stories of renting in Ireland, combined with the incredible complaint stories I just read on tripAdvisor are making me think twice about an Ireland trip.

I've seen via groupon emails about a roughly week long trip to Ireland with air and hotels and car rental for $800. It sounds great until I read about the car rental scams/tricks.

It’s not that bad, really. But $800 wouldn’t buy you very much in Ireland these days, let alone airfare. I would be suspicious of such a deal.

I had a similar experience with Sixt. It was only for a 3 day rental so I reluctantly signed for the insurance.
I've been dealing with renting here for a year.

Sixt is the worst. All the rental companies say that they need proof of your insurance such as an email from the CC company. Fair enough. I keep a printed copy with me. Sixt is the only one that demands that it was less than three months old and that it specifically mention Ireland. The others don't care. As a matter of fact the others normally don't check the letter. First time it happened to me I was lucky to be able to get on to my CC company and they immediately sent an email.

Sixt also claims that they can ask for two types of ID, the others don't.

However, most of the others charge you 25-30€ to not use their insurance. Administration fee :)

The funniest part is when they read the date on the letter and say that it's over three months because they are reading dd-mm-yy instead of the mm-dd-yy. "Sorry..this is too old, it's the 11 April!...No, it's 4th November"

It’s not that bad, really. But $800 wouldn’t buy you very much in Ireland these days, let alone airfare. I would be suspicious of such a deal.
Actually the rental car thing is the only slimy thing that I've come across. And if you have the documentation with you like letter from CC company that's very simple.

Back
Top Bottom