Results using on line car buying/selling sites.

FWIW, NFCU sent me a free 3mo CARFAX subscription. I think it was due to me linking to their auto buying service vehicle search multiple times.

I've had two good experiences with buying used cars on Craigslist. We live in a pretty rural area, so it's usually not too hard to figure out which sellers are someone you want to deal with, and which are not. Two years ago I bought a used 2008 Honda Civic for my stepdaughter. I could tell right away that the folks selling it were honest and when I looked at the car and took it for a test drive, I could tell it was easily worth what they were asking (which was not much). It has turned out to be a great car.........no issues at all after two years now.

I have not tried selling a vehicle on Craigslist yet, but I might do that in a couple years when I will need a new truck. As others have said, most of the dealers give you a pretty crummy offer when you go to trade in a vehicle. The last time I traded one in, I did print off the NADA estimate to bring with me. The dealer offered less than that, as expected, but after I showed him the NADA estimate we were able to work out a compromise. I probably still could have sold it for more on my own, but as others have said, you do have to consider the time/hassle factor also.

Back
Top Bottom