retire earlier to live longer

RE definitely reduced stress and improved sleep.

My job was my passion, my hobby, my entertainment, etc. It had been my Dream since I was 5 years old and I had achieved it all. I knew it was messing up my health as I got older and my body responded differently to the constant disruption of circadian rhythm. ( I hear ya' Marko. )

I walked away from a 200k annual raise and a lot of fun. ( And yes, requisite amounts of B.S. too. )

Health is the priority. No amount of money or fun will get it back.

I am certain that had I not done so...I would not be typing this 3 years later.

80 lbs. lighter, not a single pill bottle in this house, haven't seen a Doctor in 8 months and I thank God everyday for the wisdom granted to see things clearly enough to do the unquestionably right thing against all others advice and my own conflicting emotions. Advice which was mostly based on " BUT, think about THE MONEY!" or something equally as shortsighted and based in avarice and lack of common sense.

I mean, I really enjoy Ice Cream also...But, I don't keep eating from the bucket it until it makes me sick enough to die.

Last edited:
No meds at all. I think 3 things improved the BP:

1--No work stress
2--Satisfying daily accomplishments
3--Much more exercise.

What ever dropped the BP, I feel great. I used to be able to feel my heart pulsing when at work.
I am 63 and could have written this. I have to go back on statins though after breaking all diets on a recent river cruise. No other maintenance meds.

Some of you know that I am a beekeeper. Hard working bees in summer lives about a month vs not so hardworking bees in winter can live up to 6 months. We are not so different than bees after all!

On a serious note, elder friend of mine worked hard and retired at 62 to only live 5 more years before he passed away due to heart attack.

On a serious note, elder friend of mine worked hard and retired at 62 to only live 5 more years before he passed away due to heart attack.

A coworker of mine at my old company retired at 59 but passed away at 65. He had just gotten married at 56 (for the first time) so he did enjoy some good years in his fairly brief retirement. Good thing he retired early.

Some of you know that I am a beekeeper. Hard working bees in summer lives about a month vs not so hardworking bees in winter can live up to 6 months. We are not so different than bees after all!

+1

DW and I dropped a combined 110 pounds after retirement. My numbers have never been better.

Recently a really great former co-w*rker was riffed at 60. He passed 6 months later. Been obese for many years, like me, and started exercising. Unfortunately he stroked out. RIP.

BP while working----142/84 average
BP after retiring at 51 now 54, 117/72, heart rate 62.

Lost 10 lbs, and riding bicycle 120 miles/week. Based on this data, retirement should prolong my life.
Very similar experience.

I donate blood products regularly and my BP keeps dropping. I had to ask if their machines were working properly!

Independent readings confirm they are, including my doctor who still uses the old manual method.

Companies cited - Boeing and Lockheed Martin. Been there done that. Before stents and by passes I remember the age 40's and 50's heart attacks when things got chewy. Let alone 60''s.

Hindsight says getting canned/lay off at 50 was a blessing as indicated by the article.

heh heh heh - got my 25 ER years in and hope for some more. Also cheering on SpaceX from the bleacher section. :dance: :greetings10:

This hoax about a study reporting that Boeing and Lockheed Martin retirees leaving their job at 65 only to die 18 months later has been circulating on the Internet forever.

And it reappears on this forum once every few years.

See: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom