Retire on $100 k a year?

Yep, safety.

I like Greg and Nun's comments.

The 100k should do very nicely the first 10 years or so. My expenses are modest, so probably the following 10 years also. Things should be smooth sailing, unless I run into another 'Great Recession'.

The real key would be the right investments.

Senin said:
Yep, safety.

I like Greg and Nun's comments.

The 100k should do very nicely the first 10 years or so. My expenses are modest, so probably the following 10 years also. Things should be smooth sailing, unless I run into another 'Great Recession'.

The real key would be the right investments.

The real key will be living on less than that 100k cola. Then the investments are gravy.

Back to the OP's question. I think some evaluation of the financial stability of the pension fund involved would be prudent. I recall reading that the average muni pension is 35% underfunded. This will have to come to a head at some point. I think building up a solid plan B that can withstand a reduced benefit in the future would be a good idea.

I agree that the blue chip DB pensions will have to give. Not this year, but certainly within a retirement planning horizon. It has already happened in the private sector.

Back to the OP's question. I think some evaluation of the financial stability of the pension fund involved would be prudent. I recall reading that the average muni pension is 35% underfunded. This will have to come to a head at some point. I think building up a solid plan B that can withstand a reduced benefit in the future would be a good idea.

There are all sorts of ballot measures on "pension reform". Basically making current workers pay much much more into the retirement systm.

Back
Top Bottom