Retired in Florida or in the Planning Stages? Please share Here.

We live in Sarasota and love it here. It is pricey, but we like townhouse living, so we were able to find something that worked with our budget.

We moved to the area from San Jose CA, AKA Silicon Valley. We found everything to be very inexpensive. You can get waterfront here for the price of a 3/2 fixer upper in San Jose.

We moved to the area from San Jose CA, AKA Silicon Valley. We found everything to be very inexpensive. You can get waterfront here for the price of a 3/2 fixer upper in San Jose.

Yes, it is all relative. Have 2.5x more square footage at 60% of price up North.:D

We retired in Florida 10 years ago in North West Florida 2 miles from the coast in a nice small town. The heat does not bother us (We like it) neither do the other items that people love to bring up like; Alligators, Bugs etc., so please refrain from commenting on those.

We are considering downsizing and moving further South to an area that does not have ANY Frost or Freeze Days. While we only get a few, we still do not like them, we want an area that does not stress my Banana, Papaya and fruit trees :).

According to what I have read one has to be south of Tampa on the West Coast and Melbourne on the East Coast.

We like over 55 Gates communities with a good HOA. There are so many to choose from on 55Places.com.

We would like to hear from folks that have done, are doing, have moved and have comments on their communities.

Some Criteria:

• We do not like any communities that have Manufactured homes, currently prefer single family (That may Change).
  • Within 5 miles from the Beach (Like Ocean Breezes).
  • We do NOT like the Villages or any communities like them.
  • We prefer homes build after 2002 (Concrete Block & Stucco).
  • We currently live in a Country Club community and like the way they keep up the property, However neither of us play or like Golf.
  • Out of Flood Zones A, B or C are preferred.

We are thinking of looking in the Sarasota, Ft. Myers and Naples Areas. Thanks in advance for sharing.

My girlfriend's parents live in Hypoluxo, which is just south of West Palm. I have a place in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, which I love (i.e. more of a city, more to do, but also busier), but you may want to check out Hypoluxo, which is much quieter, but very nice and affordable, with a lot of 55+ communities. Also, Delray and Deerfield are both really nice w/ more going on. You can't beat the weather in S.E. FLA (West Palm and South), it's right below the jet stream so rarely gets cold and is quite often in the high 70s and low 80s even in Jan. and Feb.

We’re in Hillsboro Beach right next to Deerfield Beach. We love the area and it’s an easy drive to Ft Lauderdale or Boca Raton. Sadly, we’re headed back up north today and likely to only come down for a week or so again before the fall. The weather has been great and the ocean waves more active and beautiful than the gulf side. Traffic is not as bad as Tampa, Bradenton or Sarasota.

I just looked on Zillow in Delray, Boca etc. and properties anywhere near the beach have $Ms price tags. Parameters I chose were; Single Family House, built after 2002.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...7,-80.004244,26.413779,-80.200968_rect/12_zm/

Too rich for my Blood.

Check east of US 1 and west of the intracoastal. Still really close to beach and close to action of downtown. I actually like that area better than the beach (and you are literally minutes away from the beach). May want to look at pompano, lauderdale, Hollywood, etc.

Just a warning to those looking for property in Florida. If the home was built or renovated between 2001 and 2009, make sure you have it inspected for Chinese drywall. When we were shopping for property in 2011, we were warned about this and encountered many properties with reactive Chinese drywall. We had ours inspected before completing our purchase. Many homes have been remediated (drywall removed/replaced, insulation, wiring, plumbing, and electrical removed/replaced) but many have not.

The following can provide some guidance:

https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-educati...how-can-i-tell-if-my-home-has-problem-drywall

https://www.news-press.com/story/ne...s-need-remain-aware-chinese-drywall/19722227/

I just looked on Zillow in Delray, Boca etc. and properties anywhere near the beach have $Ms price tags. Parameters I chose were; Single Family House, built after 2002.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...7,-80.004244,26.413779,-80.200968_rect/12_zm/

Too rich for my Blood.

You will find opposing opinions on housing costs depending on where you are moving from as well as what area of Fl you are considering. At the moment I couldn't afford to buy my modest concrete block house. Yet if I sold it I could buy a home that is 2X as large with more amenities in another part of Fl.

Cheers!

SWF is amazing and affordable for our liking: We did a bit of research on affordability, we knew we did not want to spend a lot for a home or condo HOA Dues etc...... What we found was a very nice 55+ RV Resort Community where you own the land, water, sewer, trash, lawn mowing, two pools, tennis courts, horse shoes, shuffleboard, volleyball.....Most of the homes are Park Model mobile homes, a few motorhomes/trailers show up during season. HOA Dues are $125 per month..... Lots/homes are priced from $40k to $150K...... We are 4 miles from Ft. Myers Beach and 2 miles from Sanibel Island ----- I am one of the youngest ones in the community, but have found it very nice ...... We stay here for 7 to 8 months per year ..... NO STATE INCOME TAX or Personal Property Tax on vehicle/boats, etc.....

Back
Top Bottom