Retired last year at 55 yo

BruinBones

Recycles dryer sheets
Greetings. I am a retired surgeon who reached financial independence a few years ago and finally pulled the plug on clinical practice last year. Fortunately, I had been doing a lot of things with regard to personal finance correctly even before discovering Bogleheads and White Coat Investor about five years ago and Early-Retirement.org about a year before retiring. Even though this is my first post here, I could no longer remain a lurker and withhold my gratitude for the countless advice and inspiration I receive(d) from this site.

My first year of FIRE has been mixed. I certainly am more relaxed and healthier (mentally and physically) than my last several years in medical practice. I enjoy bicycling, yoga, home projects, and spending more time with my wife and 3 dogs. My wife retired 8 years before I did. We had grand plans to expand our international travel but have not done so yet with ongoing Covid restrictions. (We consider a large part of vacationing for us is maximizing relaxation, and we currently feel that testing, distancing, masking, and other international requirements would diminish that - YMMV). Another unplanned distraction is that our elderly parents have developed serious medical problems, so we have spent much of the past year traveling to the 2 other states where each of them lives helping with their care. We feel fortunate that we are in a position to assist them and put there needs ahead of our leisure at this time.

I do have a part-time j*b that I enjoy that takes only 3-4 days a month of my time, so I can still take advantage of 1099 benefits and Roth IRA contributions. My withdrawal rate for the first year has been just 2.4% of my portfolio.

So thank you if you've read about me this far, and thank you for the collective wisdom that is dispensed from the active posters of this site on a daily basis.

Namaste

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

Welcome to the forum....congratulations on your early retirement. :flowers:

Congrats on your early retirement. Looking forward to mutual sharing here on the FIRE forums.

Welcome to ER and congrats.
Hopefully you will be able to realize your retirement vision in the upcoming years.

I also welcome you, to this outstanding and well run ER site. Hoping you share more of your experiences as time goes on. Congratulations on ER and for the work you did.

Welcome. Congrats on your ER. A 2.4% WR at your age is a very good position to be in. Look forward to more posts from you.

I was also a lurker here for many years and now post regularly. This may or not be a good thing depending on who you ask.:LOL: Nevertheless it has been very informational and helpful over the years in my own financial and other decisions.

Welcome to this great forum! I learn so much here on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom