Retired mid 2017-am I okay financially

No need to track expenses in detail in my opinion.

Agree that "in detail" isn't necessary.

However, not having any idea of (or apparent desire to know) total expenses is similar to taking a trip in a car without a gas gauge and no service stations along the way. You just have to guess if you have enough fuel to get to your destination.

Jerry1- first time I heard of the calculator. I will try it out.

Sorry I posted the question....I have never had a budget or kept record of my spending. Just wondering if I can afford more luxurious vacations since I just retired. I might as well enjoy life to the fullest as I just retired recently. I may or may not be alert as I age.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I will take the advice of keeping record for a year or so and searching for answers on the internet.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Please, no more comments about my question.

OP could do a top down analysis of spending as income for a year less any savings... by default whatever income wasn't saved was presumably spent. Then add in some provisions for periodic replacements (cars, roofs, AC, etc) and you have a decent idea... not as good as a bottoms up but perhaps good enough. It sounds like the OP has intuitively done a top down and decided that her actual spending is less than her income.

Last edited:
I think the gas tank gets filled automatically with the pension and she never takes a long road trip (lives within her means).[emoji3]

It would drive me right up the wall to not know precisely how and where I spend my money, but I accept that some people (maybe most people) are not like me. If I were unwilling to track expenses and wanted a simple SWAG for planning purposes, I would do this.

A Look at my end of year pay-stub for 2017 and note the net income for the year. i.e. - the total of all the paychecks deposited into my checking account for the year.

B. Did I receive any funds into the checking account other than paychecks during 2017?

C. Did I send any funds from my checking account to savings in 2017?

D. Look at my checking account balance on 12/31/16 (D1) and again on 12/31/17 (D2)

From the above: Spending = A+B-C-(D2-D1)

Caveats:

This assumes a single checking account through which all income and spending flow. I use the net paycheck amount, which excludes the amount paid into 401k/403b etc., the amount paid for healthcare premium, the amount paid toward my pension, social security and medicare withholding. Most importantly, this also does NOT include state or federal income tax which are taken out of my pay before I get a paycheck. If you do this to plan your retirement income needs, you MUST "gross-up" for income taxes, because they will not go away after retirement.

Also note that this provides no granularity, so you won't be able to adjust for spending that will go down after retirement (commuting, professional dues, dry cleaners, etc) and that which will go up (health care payment, travel, etc.)

** If you really wanted to get fancy, you could run the above equation for 2 or 3 separate years and use the average.

EDIT -- reading back through, I see that retirement for the OP was in mid 2017. So this exercise could be done for 2016 and prior for her.

Last edited:
Gumby, I think the math still works even if one is retired, just substitute pension or SS income, dividends and interest received in cash for A and B, respectively.

This 'silvia' poster almost sounds like a troll. If not, she/he would be the 1st to ER without checking the numbers.

Sounds like it, but with her first post 10 years ago, this would be the most patient troll ever, and I would say "well played!"

From the earlier thread, I think she just bought into the 80% of working income needed for retirement spiel, so as long as Firecalc said she could spend up to 80%, she figured it worked. And then went off and took 2 big vacations! Certainly more typical of the general popular than the e-r.org crowd.

I don't know the OP, but sometimes I've noticed on the board people being pretty harsh on what I detect to be non-natives English speakers, or immigrants who are shy about cultural questions.

Just guessing here.

For the record, DW and I keep every cent marked down in quicken. Heck, when my neighbor gives me $20 for replacing a $15 door handle, I mark it as $5 in income. Pretty anal. So, yeah, I don't get not knowing expenses either. But not everyone is built that way.

I don't think she is a troll, and she is not the only one that don't know what her expenses have been, some of us figure out what we want to spend in retirement, and work our way towards the goal. Not the best way, I know...

Back
Top Bottom