Retiring FROM vs. Retiring TO.

Each to their own.

I made sure I had plenty of things to do before I FIREd and would not have made the transition without that aspect of my retirement planning being in place. It was as important as the financial aspects.

It worked well for me :D, but I can understand people who have horrible j#bs prioritizing getting out the door.

In sixty days, I'll be officially FIREd, so we'll see how it goes. After thirty-two years as a lab rat, and another twelve as "miscellaneous", my BS bucket is full, and the numbers work, I hope...

Always been a list maker, and have a mental bucket list, not of "things to accomplish", but free associative stuff that I've always wanted to do, or things that sound interesting. How many items on that list get "done" remains to be seen. But, then, I'm pretty good at slacking too.

Funny thing, now that I've announced my intentions at w*rk, all of a sudden I'm almost irreplaceable. Funny also how that has never been reflected in my salary or raises...

Congratulations! Having read a lot of your posts, I'm pretty sure you'll be a natural at retirement.

No question, I ran FROM. What happened next was of little concern so long as I got a chance to catch my breath. Didn't have a list so much as a mental inventory of all the stuff I never got to do while working/night school/commuting/studying for CFA/whatever. I had enough time on the beach to recover and have one really great summer with the kids and then landed in the "gig economy" (consulting). It was fine for about a year, but now I find myself juggling two contracts at once for a short time and I can feel the chronic fatigue and stress taking hold again. Not making this mistake again. In a few weeks I will go back to one contract and then (at least for a while) none at the end of the year. If nothing else, this is a good reminder of what I do not want to do.

See this:

Retired – Now What? | Olderhood.com

From the blog post:

...the most poignant aspect of retirement is that it forces you to reinvent yourself if you are going to be happy. One day your life is filled with people and things that you have to accomplish in order to get paid, and the next day … nothing. You are literally starting a new life from scratch.

I didn't retire exhausted, but I had no big plans when I pulled the plug. I left 10 years ago knowing I was resourceful enough to manage my own entertainment and certain life without work was far better than with it.

I was right. :)

+1

I FIRE'd just a few months after REWahoo with pretty much the same results. Technically I was fire'd. But after a short period of job hunting and collecting UI, I declared myself FIRE'd and shredded my stack of resume's.

Since I hadn't planned on leaving my job at the exact time "they" chose to boot my sorry ass out, my plans were minimal. But I was enjoying life to a great extent while I was working and just picked up the pace when being interrupted by going to work was no longer a hindrance to fun.

I didn't retire exhausted, but I had no big plans when I pulled the plug. I left 10 years ago knowing I was resourceful enough to manage my own entertainment and certain life without work was far better than with it.

I was right. :)

+1

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom