Retiring in Europe

Yes indeed, small world. My dad worked at ICI Wilton and before that he was an apprentice at Dorman Long. I left the area in 1979 to go to college

I was back recently and rode my bike from Malton, over the Moors stopping for lunch at Blakey Rigg. Riding through Westerdale isn't getting any easier!!!!

Yep, ICI Wilton was where I worked when we lived there :)

That was a tough bike ride! The Lion at Blakey Ridge is one of our favorite places to eat. Twice in the last few years when we were over we walked from Rosedale to The Lion for lunch, then back to Rosedale.

I am thinking of an old George Bernard Shaw quote about now...:D

That was a tough bike ride! The Lion at Blakey Ridge is one of our favorite places to eat. Twice in the last few years when we were over we walked from Rosedale to The Lion for lunch, then back to Rosedale.

If I ever miss the N. Yorks Moors I just take a look at this great website where a guy documents his walks.

North Yorks Moors CAM - Archives Index

My ride was doubly tough as I did it on a single speed bike, but it was very enjoyable. I started out in London and took 5 days to ride to Middlesbrough staying in B&Bs each night. ER will see me doing lots more similarly stupid things.

I am thinking of an old George Bernard Shaw quote about now...:D

Yeah sorry, this is all a bit parochial

Hello Alan and nun - I am happy my question to nun has made the two of you meet. Also being from Europe originally, I love rugby. Small world indeed. :)

I never got around to memorizing George Bernard Shaw, what would the quote be??

BTW, I'm life-long cyclist too and it always feels more comfy riding in EU.

Free_at_49 said:
I never got around to memorizing George Bernard Shaw, what would the quote be??

BTW, I'm life-long cyclist too and it always feels more comfy riding in EU.

I took the quote to be the one about being separated by a common tongue

I took the quote to be the one about being separated by a common tongue

That's the one:

England and America are two countries separated by a common language.

Back
Top Bottom