RIP: Mike Leach - Unique college football coach

Thanks REWahoo, my daughters went to Texas Tech when he was coach there. They are devastated by the news. He often had Q&A sessions with the students and was visible around campus. He was an innovator. He once had his linemen line up three feet apart. Always throwing new wrinkles in. Several of his former QB's are now coaches. Condolences to his family

Amazing. I think I heard he is the only major college coach who never played college football. He is an attorney by education but never let that stand in the way of career success. I followed him at Texas Tech, Wash St, and his last stop, Miss St. He was one of the major developers of "Air Raid" offenses, and as is easy to see his philosophy affected virtually all corners of the game.

He had some great press conferences including his rant about players' "fat little girlfriends" distracting them, and the "Battle of the Pac 12 Mascots".

If they are not in the link above they are on youtube.

I was very sad to hear of his sudden passing. I couldn't help thinking the Pirate had no idea what was coming. A few days ago, he had no idea he would be being eulogized now. That gives me pause.

We all attended Texas Tech, as well as our children and now grandchildren. Mike Leach is a legend with us, and we’ve followed his career after he got such a raw deal from Texas Tech. In fact, my husband has spent many more hours watching Mississippi State football this year, over Texas Tech. We are all very sad. My husband said he noticed hat Coach Leach didn’t look well this year at all.

Back
Top Bottom