RIP Tony Dow (Wally Cleaver)

Sorry to hear.... RIP Wally

Never liked Eddie Haskell and always wondered why Wally hung out with him. The good old days...

Never liked Eddie Haskell and always wondered why Wally hung out with him. The good old days...

If there was no Eddie Haskell as a counterpoint to Wally then there would not have been many plot lines. Every show needs a bad guy.

Seems like everyone has had at least one Eddie Haskell in their lives.

Eddie was my favorite. Wally was the one who understood why Eddie was Eddie - and liked him anyway. Hats off to Wally and RIP Tony.

I had a crush on Wally, he was a handsome guy.

Me too! I always thought he was so handsome.

RIP, Tony Dow (Wally Cleaver). :(
Personally, I MUCH preferred Mary Ellen Rogers who played the role of Wally's girlfriend (a.k.a.Pamela Baird, a good old native Texas gal in real life.) It's too bad she was shown in so few episodes.

Last edited:
Tony Dow apparently was a multi-talented artist:
He had also become a sculptor in later years, with one of his pieces being temporarily displayed as part of an exhibition at the Louvre
R.I.P. Wally/Tony!

Seems like everyone has had at least one Eddie Haskell in their lives.

In my neighborhood, when I was growing up, there was a kid that everyone's parents referred to as "Eddie Haskell".

And no, it wasn't me.:D

In my neighborhood, when I was growing up, there was a kid that everyone's parents referred to as "Eddie Haskell".

I'm sure every neighborhood had one. But they always seemed to know what to say to stay out of serious trouble.
"That's a very becoming frock you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver."
"Why, thank you, Eddie."

As an adult you can always spot the Eddy Haskells in life because they are always slyly watching adult authority figures - parent, teacher, boss, police, etc. As soon as the adult's back is turned, they're up to no good.

One of my favorite LITB story lines was when Wally takes his girl to a very fancy French restaurant. Alas, Wally left his wallet at home. Ward, realizing how bad this will look, takes action behind the scenes to turn lemons into lemonade. When Wally tries to explain that he can't pay for this dinner, the waiter (in a heavy French accent) interrupts him saying something to the effect of "Messieurs Cleaver, on a beautiful evening like this we will not discuss money. As usual I will put this meal on your account." The young lady is awe struck with the implied importance and maturity of Wally.
I decided I wanted to be like Ward when I became a father.

Last edited:
Apparently the news was released prematurely, although he is in "his last hours" in hospice. Some sort of error.

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexsta...y-dow-dies-at-77-lost-an-amazing-human-being/

Deja Vu with Tanya Roberts and Tom Petty I bet. Death announcements early.

Sadly, "In his last hours" isn't that far removed from passed away.

Tony Dow's character Wally on Beaver was such a good character. Most of the time he chose right from wrong and was the common sense for the gullible Beaver or the bad influence of Eddie.

And just think, his second career in real life, after acting in the Leave it to Beaver series, was with the LAPD as a motorcycle officer.

Last edited:
Saddened by this news. Eddie was always giving Beaver "the business".

Whitey and Tooey, those two were actually brothers and who can forget Lumpy, Gilbert, Miss Landers? She was adorable.

Plus Hugh Beaumont and Barbara Billingsley

RIP Tony Dow, thanks for the memories.

Back
Top Bottom