RIP Tony Dow (Wally Cleaver)

Deja Vu with Tanya Roberts and Tom Petty I bet. Death announcements early.

Sadly, "In his last hours" isn't that far removed from passed away.

Tony Dow's character Wally on Beaver was such a good character. Most of the time he chose right from wrong and was the common sense for the gullible Beaver or the bad influence of Eddie.

Yeah, by the time your loved one qualifies for Hospice you're not going to be rooting for them to hang around longer, but instead that they may be made as comfortable as possible in their (hopefully very short) time remaining.

Saddened by this news. Eddie was always giving Beaver "the business".

Whitey and Tooey, those two were actually brothers and who can forget Lumpy, Gilbert, Miss Landers? She was adorable.

Plus Hugh Beaumont and Barbara Billingsley

RIP Tony Dow, thanks for the memories.

Ah, yes, Miss Landers. I fell in love with her. Even at an age when I didn't understand attraction, her character (played by Sue Randall) was THE 3rd grade teacher every boy prays for. YMMV

It's official that Tony Dow has passed away ... Though knowing the news was just a matter of time, still hits hard.

Tony Dow's family has confirmed the actor has died. He was 77.
The news was confirmed Wednesday via Dow's Facebook page in a post that read: "Tony passed away earlier this morning, with his loving family at his side to see him through this journey."
"We know that the world is collectively saddened by the loss of this incredible man," said the post. "He gave so much to us all and was loved by so many. One fan said it best—'It is rare when there is a person who is so universally loved like Tony.'"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...t-age-77-he-had-such-a-huge-heart/ar-AA102pdw

Last edited:
My brother still watches the reruns. I have only seen the show a few times.

This is the very first one, S1 E1.

Aww! Thanks for posting that. I loved Ward and June on that show. I should wear my pearls more often, like around the house like June Cleaver.

Aww! Thanks for posting that. I loved Ward and June on that show. I should wear my pearls more often, like around the house like June Cleaver.

Yes people dressed well I guess in the 50's and 60's. I wasn't even born for another three years after this first episode aired. I started watching the show in the mid 60's when I was about Beaver's age.

Yes people dressed well I guess in the 50's and 60's. I wasn't even born for another three years after this first episode aired. I started watching the show in the mid 60's when I was about Beaver's age.

My mom always dressed nicely at home - partly because she also w*rked at the family business. I don't recall pearls, but she could have been Mrs. Cleaver. YMMV

Wally was the older brother I always wished I had. I was the same age as Jerry Mathers and the whole family watched the shows and now I still do on the reruns.

Cheers!

Wally was the older brother I always wished I had. I was the same age as Jerry Mathers and the whole family watched the shows and now I still do on the reruns.

Cheers!

I was right in between Jerry and and Tony, age wise. Our family usually watched the Beaver each week. Lots of good stuff that would never make TV these days.

I actually rarely watch any network shows now. I may get caught up in something like "Better Call Saul" but the "manufactured" conflict shows (housewives, bachelors, naked, brother, etc.) make me ill. Sorry if any of those are your favorite show as YMMV.

I was right in between Jerry and and Tony, age wise. Our family usually watched the Beaver each week. Lots of good stuff that would never make TV these days.

I actually rarely watch any network shows now. I may get caught up in something like "Better Call Saul" but the "manufactured" conflict shows (housewives, bachelors, naked, brother, etc.) make me ill. Sorry if any of those are your favorite show as YMMV.
I used to watch Beaver when I was a kid, but we only had a few channels in those days, so the choices were limited. I don't care much for any reality TV shows but avoid getting caught up in TV series in general. I am working my way quickly through Stranger Things season 4, though.

I watched the whole episode. Nice theme about things being not as simple as when Ward was a kid. Don't we all feel that way.

Things sure were different in those times. Their luggage didn't have wheels!

Their luggage didn't have wheels, they didn't have social media (except the malt shop), kids didn't openly share a joint, girls wore skirts/dresses, boys wore trousers and collared shirts, teachers didn't hit on students (and vice versa - other than the occasional puppy love - like Miss Landers and me:LOL:)

Not suggesting "better" but WAY different. I know Beaver didn't truly reflect "real life" of the time but it did reflect the "ideal" of the time. I hope today's shows don't reflect the "ideal" of our time. But, keep in mind I'm really old, so don't take anything I say too seriously 'cause YMMV.

I watched the whole episode. Nice theme about things being not as simple as when Ward was a kid. Don't we all feel that way.

Things sure were different in those times. Their luggage didn't have wheels!

No wheels. But sure did look like the luggage in that episode were empty :).

My favorite part in that episode is when Wally tells that man renting out the stuff that his dad says most of the man's stuff he rents is junk :LOL:.

Last edited:
Not suggesting "better" but WAY different. I know Beaver didn't truly reflect "real life" of the time but it did reflect the "ideal" of the time. I hope today's shows don't reflect the "ideal" of our time. But, keep in mind I'm really old, so don't take anything I say too seriously 'cause YMMV.

I am amused by current entertainment industry big shots and others who claim that Leave It to Beaver was not realistic. What TV show is? To quote Ricky Gervais:

You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world.

I am amused by current entertainment industry big shots and others who claim that Leave It to Beaver was not realistic. What TV show is? To quote Ricky Gervais:

Honestly, my family was WAY more like Beaver than like todays cwap on TV. Mom and dad were imperfect (but, then again, Beaver showed Ward and June to be imperfect). Mostly, Beaver showed that the parents loved each other and the kids and the family was more important than anything else. That was my imperfect family as well. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom