Road Trips 2023

Local Colorado peaches are in season, and there is nothing like buying tree-ripened peaches right from the farmer (I come from a family of peach growers).

Yes! Nothing better than fresh, tree-ripened peaches.

You being from TX are no doubt familiar with the popularity of peaches grown in the Fredericksburg/Stonewall area. Sadly, the orchards there are giving way to vineyards as they are less seasonal, somewhat less susceptible to weather extremes, and therefore more profitable.

Next month a SoCal road trip A couple of days in San Diego. Ms G picked a resort where the resort fees are more than I like to pay for a room BTD.

Off to Catalina Island for a couple of days, fills Ms G's cruise fix.

Next places she has heard lots about but not been to.

Ms G wants to visit the Salton Sea. She wants to see if the SS is as bad as some say it is.

After that up route 78 on the Colorado river to Quartzsite, Lake Havasu and heading to Tucson.

2 weeks to it it in and should be a great road trip.

We ended up having a fantastic 4 week trip to southwestern Colorado, far exceeding expectations. We visited Pueblo, Telluride, Mountain Village, Ridgeway, Ouray, Montrose, Hotchkiss, Marble, Aspen, and Manitou Springs. We managed to catch 4 different town farmer’s markets which was great because the local fruit was in season. Incredibly scenic hiking and mountain driving. Crossed the Continental Divide twice and other mountain passes.

Paddle board lessons on Trout Lake near Lizard Head Pass. DH

Sunset from high on the box canyon overlooking Telluride.

Huge black bear on a hiking trail near Telluride. Pretty color.

Kayaking on the Gunnison river near Hotchkiss. me

Stopped for lunch at Slow Groovin BBQ in Marble, just east of McClure Pass on our way to Aspen.

Maroon Bells from Maroon Lake near Aspen. We hiked Maroon Lake and Crater Lake.

Looking down on the very dramatic eastern descent of CO-82 from Independence Pass (>12,000 ft).

Balanced Rock in Garden of the Gods.

Attachments

• IMG_3379.jpeg
    IMG_3379.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 230815_R3_108927-1600w.jpeg
    230815_R3_108927-1600w.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4170.jpeg
    IMG_4170.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
We ended up having a fantastic 4 week trip to southwestern Colorado, far exceeding expectations. We visited Pueblo, Telluride, Mountain Village, Ridgeway, Ouray, Montrose, Hotchkiss, Marble, Aspen, and Manitou Springs. We managed to catch 4 different town farmer’s markets which was great because the local fruit was in season. Incredibly scenic hiking and mountain driving. Crossed the Continental Divide twice and other mountain passes.

Paddle board lessons on Trout Lake near Lizard Head Pass. DH

Sunset from high on the box canyon overlooking Telluride.

Huge black bear on a hiking trail near Telluride. Pretty color.

Kayaking on the Gunnison river near Hotchkiss. me

Stopped for lunch at Slow Groovin BBQ in Marble, just east of McClure Pass on our way to Aspen.

Maroon Bells from Maroon Lake near Aspen. We hiked Maroon Lake and Crater Lake.

Looking down on the very dramatic eastern descent of CO-82 from Independence Pass (>12,000 ft).

Balanced Rock in Garden of the Gods.
You visited in my opinion some of the best parts of the state and why we love living here so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Audrey this sounds like a great trip you had. DW and I should consider those areas for next year.

Some questions:
Were there crowded conditions in any areas that you would avoid in future trips?
Any reservations you would think one should make?
Did you reserve all your accommodations? Were most places fully booked?

We would probably fly into some place (Denver?) and do a car rental. Most of our activities would be hiking and sketching I guess.

Audrey this sounds like a great trip you had. DW and I should consider those areas for next year.

Some questions:
Were there crowded conditions in any areas that you would avoid in future trips?
Any reservations you would think one should make?
Did you reserve all your accommodations? Were most places fully booked?

We would probably fly into some place (Denver?) and do a car rental. Most of our activities would be hiking and sketching I guess.

It’s a busy area in the summer. We made reservations ahead. Didn’t use hotels except on the trip up and back home. We used VRBO for destinations where we stayed a week or several nights. Ended up going in August because availability was a bit better. Yes, places get fully booked. We spent a lot on lodging this trip, but that was a priority.

The popular towns of Telluride and Aspen were full of tourists and always will be over the summer. Fortunately the condos we stayed in were in quiet areas yet just a few blocks from restaurants etc. Both towns have free bus systems. Telluride is small and everything is in walking distance including some good hiking trails. Aspen was bigger but still very walkable central area. Our main focus from Aspen was Maroon Bells, but lots to do in town. We loved Telluride, it’s a beautiful setting. It also has a free gondola that travels up to Mountain Village and back, so Mountain Village is also an lodging option for Telluride. We will definitely return to Telluride.

We also stayed in Montrose for 4 nights, booked a house older downtown neighborhood that was also thankfully quiet. Montrose is less touristy but a bustling busy city. It’s not as expensive overall, but also hotter than the high mountain towns. It’s a good base for several day trip locations. We could have stayed longer as we didn’t do everything we wanted.

In Manitou Springs we stayed in a cute adobe cottage convenient location for Garden of the Gods - Town-n-Country cottages.

Many people fly into Grand Junction or Montrose to visit this area. It’s a lot farther to Denver.

Last edited:
Ames Hydroelectric Power Station, Ophir CO

This was truly an enginerd experience that deserves its own treatment.

A big thrill for us on our trip was visiting the Ames Hydroelectric Power Station near Ophir CO/Lizard Head Pass. This is the first ever power station to generate and transmit AC power. Not only that, but it has been continuously operating since 1891! Designed and built by Westinghouse (licensing some key Tesla AC power patents), Nunn, and engineering students from Cornell University it was a proof of concept for hydroelectric AC power generation. It originally transmitted power 2.6 miles to Nunn’s Gold King Mine south of Telluride CO (above Ophir).

Once this concept was proved (including the cost effectiveness of transmitting AC power rather that DC long distances) Westinghouse went on to build a second and much larger US AC power station at Niagara Falls which started operating in 1895. This must be the Edward Dean Adams power station which no longer operates.

Our initial plan was to take a look at the place and take a picture of the car outside. But as we got out and took some pictures, an Xcel Energy employee popped out of the building next door and asked if we would like a tour inside - heck yeah!

The initial 1891 equipment generated 133Hz single phase. In 1896 it was upgraded to generate 60Hz dual phase. In 1906 the equipment used today was installed, so these machines have been operating for 117 years! And it all looks brand new. Incredibly well engineered.

Looking down on the Ames Power Station which is about 1000ft below Trout Lake.

Parked in front of the power station. Sign reads “World’s first generating station to produce alternating current”.

Inside the power plant:

The AC generator from 1906 generating the electricity that is transmitted to two different locations. Plaque.

To the left of the alternator two Pelton Wheels enclosed. The larger wheel is taking water from Trout Lake, the major water source, the smaller wheel mostly hidden is seasonal and takes water from Lake Hope.

The control panels. One of a very few power stations not under remote control. The employee has to come out and manually synchronize things to get it running again.

Lots of interesting references if folks are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3630.jpeg
    IMG_3630.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
One of the things that motivated our visit to the Ames power station was my fascination with the power station perched at the top of the spectacular Bridal Veil Falls near Telluride. It kind of looks like some German Gothic Revival fantasy. An early AC hydroelectric plant it hasn’t been in continuous operation, but was restored and brought back online 3 decades ago by a private individual. This included restoring/rebuilding the original Westinghouse AC generator. It provides around 25% of Telluride’s power.

Bridal Veil Falls is Colorado’s tallest free falling waterfall at 300ft. Spectacular.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggler-Union_Hydroelectric_Power_Plant
https://coloradoencyclopedia.org/ar...ched on the edge of,for the town of Telluride.

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpeg
    IMG_3442.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
We have been to Colorado for quite a few trips in past years, by car road trips, fly-and-drive trips, and a couple of RV trips. Can't see it all, as there are a lot to see.

We did visit Leadville, just because its claim of being the highest town in the US at 10,158 ft. We spent a couple of hours at the rock museum there.

If you enjoyed that then you need to visit Arco, Idaho. The first town powered by nuclear power. You can tour the original reactor and look into the reaction chamber among other neat things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arco,_Idaho

I drove by Arco on an RV trip, going from Yellowstone to Craters of the Moon. Did not know, else would make a detour. I don't know when I will pass through this area again.

Last edited:
Just got back from our Southeast US road trip. 4414 miles, 22 states, 12 days. Illinois to Vermont, where fall colors were near peak, Then south skirting New York City, going to my cedar kayak supplier in Annapolis, beach in Myrtle Beach, History tour in Savannah, and friends in Palm Beach Gardens Fl, before heading west, Spent some time in Fort Myers, where we saw the hurricane destruction, went to beaches in Venice and Siesta Key, saw some manatees in Crystal River, before heading to Pensacola. Took in the National Aviation museum there, before heading home.

2023 has been a busy road trip year. Arizona in February, Colorado and Wyoming in July, Glacier NP in August, before this latest trip. Going to stay home fore a while.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 10.14.51 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 10.14.51 PM.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 32
Just got back from our Southeast US road trip. 4414 miles, 22 states, 12 days. Illinois to Vermont, where fall colors were near peak, Then south skirting New York City, going to my cedar kayak supplier in Annapolis, beach in Myrtle Beach, History tour in Savannah, and friends in Palm Beach Gardens Fl, before heading west, Spent some time in Fort Myers, where we saw the hurricane destruction, went to beaches in Venice and Siesta Key, saw some manatees in Crystal River, before heading to Pensacola. Took in the National Aviation museum there, before heading home.

2023 has been a busy road trip year. Arizona in February, Colorado and Wyoming in July, Glacier NP in August, before this latest trip. Going to stay home fore a while.

Sounds like a great trip. We were at the Pensacola NAS last week as well . We were able to go to the museum and saw the Blue Angels practice show. Whew, those folks sure can fly those planes. Hope you have a great rest of the year!

Wow, that’s an impressive 2023 road trip map! Exceeds 10,000 miles in total?

Sounds like a great trip. We were at the Pensacola NAS last week as well . We were able to go to the museum and saw the Blue Angels practice show. Whew, those folks sure can fly those planes. Hope you have a great rest of the year!

Great that you saw the practice! I checked the schedule while we were in town, and there were no practices scheduled. The Blue Angels do have an air show in Pensacola 11/3 - so we missed that too.

But did catch this clip coming out of dinner. They must have been coming home from somewhere.

Just back from a 30-day, 6600 mile road trip from New England to the Four Corners area and back.
It was good...

We really do enjoy road trips, but we need a break for a while.
We are back home for several months. The weather here is awesome in November and generally very good through April. So we try to stay home.

No winter season, freezes are quite rare, and even then usually don’t disrupt the flowering plants. It’s wonderful to have leaves on trees and blooms all winter. Wildlife activity is high including birds and butterflies so DH is out chasing stuff with his camera all day, mostly within biking distance.

Makes up for our 5 months of hot summer weather!

Just back from a 30-day, 6600 mile road trip from New England to the Four Corners area and back.
It was good...

Wow!

I need to plan my mid to late summer trip to the Finger Lakes/Niagara Falls area next year. But it’s not going to be a road trip!

Back
Top Bottom