Roof Replacement after Hail Damage--File an Insurance Claim?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the past 6 years or so there have been two major hailstorms in my neighborhood (and several minor hail storms.) After these hailstorms ALL of my neighbors got roofs replaced by their insurance company, either after the first storm or after the second one. Both times my insurance company has rejected my claim. First time around I had Liberty Mutual. Second time it was Auto-Owners. I considered the first storm to be more intense.

With Liberty Mutual I had a roofing contractor present who went on the roof with the insurance adjuster. The roofing contractor thought it was a slam dunk but the adjuster said I did not have enough "qualifying hail hits" in a 10 square foot area, which I guess is the main criteria. This claim denial was my motivation to switch insurance companies.

After the second storm I had three separate roofing companies look at my roof. One said it was practically a sure thing, one said it was close, like 50/50, and the other one said it was possible if I got a sympathetic adjuster but not to count on it. I had lined up the guy who thought it was a done deal to be at my house when the adjuster showed up but he couldn't make it. Once again, I was denied my claim. I appealed the claim and was once again denied. Good bye Auto-Owners, hello State Farm.

Yesterday a roofing company came to my door and started his pitch. He said there was a storm in May 2022 that has led to a lot of roofs being replaced in my area. (I know, I know, these are usually fly-by-night companies but this guy seemed legit.) He inspected my roof and took a bunch of pictures. He had several pictures of hail hit areas, mostly on the south side of my roof. He was discouraged that I did not have metal attic vent covers since they show "collateral damage" more readily than my plastic vent covers, and he said collateral damage can usually sway an adjuster even if the damage in the 10 square foot rule isn't met. There were pictures of significant collateral damage on my chimney cage/cover, which is metal.

So he wants me to open a claim with State Farm for a roof replacement. He insists in his experience State Farm is more open to approving claims than Auto-Owners (again, grain of salt was taken with this assertion.)

So, are there any negative repercussions if I file a claim and it gets denied? Obviously, it will be on my record, but so what? If there is a chance I could get a new roof I'm all for it. If I don't get a new roof what is the harm in trying, if any?

Last edited:
Here is a recent thread on this scenario:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ut-roof-replacement-and-insurance-117732.html

tl;dr - the event was a year ago?

If you are concerned you have damage, and you hire a reputable, vetted inspector, and they if say you have damage that needs to be fixed - go to your insurance.

If a roofing company knocks on your door unsolicited, tell them to get off your lawn. Good companies don't do this.

Last edited:
I think the rule is there has to be a significant hailstorm in the past 6 months...

When we had it done, at first I thought no big deal, then when I walked around the house I saw holes in the vinyl siding from the hail !! Figured if it can punch holes in the siding, maybe the roof was damaged as well.

If you think there was a damaging hailstorm, then really what other choice is there but to ask for a look see.

I do know what they told me if I wanted them to come look, I would have to file a claim. The claim status would be on my record for 2 years. I don't remember what that meant though.

Well I had pieces blow off in wind storms. The guy came to look, from a very reputable company and told me I should file a claim. The roof is 30 years old, so I had not planned on a claim.

My agent had told me that I could not shop insurance with the old roof. I guess if they don't pay and ding me I can find a new carrier.

We shall see next week.

I've decided I am not going to file a claim.

1. The roofing guy didn't seem to excited about the damage on my roof. Yes, there were many hail hits but I would think if there were enough of them to meet the 10 square foot area ruled he would have been going on and on about it. He barely mentioned it, instead focused on the collateral damage. I don't think the three dings on my chimney cover is going to be enough to get a claim approved. I also didn't see much damage to my downspouts.

2. I was denied a claim after the previous hail storm which I remember clearly, even took photos and video of it happening. The storm the roofing guy was referencing, on May 19, 2022 I don't even remember happening.

3. I searched the National Weather Service storm database for that date, and yes, there was a hail storm event in the Mpls./St. Paul area but drilling down to the zip code level, there was nothing for my neighborhood.

My friend Qs and your Laptop... THANK YOU.

I am shaking in my boots waiting for my homeowners renewal in about 8 weeks. With all the "free" roofs around me despite no hail larger than 1/4", I think I'm going to get whacked bad. Not because of me, but because of my neighbors.

I am shaking in my boots waiting for my homeowners renewal in about 8 weeks. With all the "free" roofs around me despite no hail larger than 1/4", I think I'm going to get whacked bad. Not because of me, but because of my neighbors.

My sister's S.Fla insurance went from $4k to $6k so she's shopping around. She called Liberty who want $16k! (this is for a 4/2 2200 CBS home built in 1998). Half that increase, if not more, is the "roof claim" BS companies that knock on our doors over and over.

My sister's S.Fla insurance went from $4k to $6k so she's shopping around. She called Liberty who want $16k! (this is for a 4/2 2200 CBS home built in 1998). Half that increase, if not more, is the "roof claim" BS companies that knock on our doors over and over.

I wonder how much the insurance companies can be held accountable for this? Why do they honor these BS claims? Maybe they calculate that even if they replace numerous roofs, the return for raising everybody's rates as being overall more profitable in the long run?

I wonder how much the insurance companies can be held accountable for this? Why do they honor these BS claims? Maybe they calculate that even if they replace numerous roofs, the return for raising everybody's rates as being overall more profitable in the long run?

When my neighbor temporarily took over a city building inspector job, he was amazed at all the bribes offered to him.

I could see, contractor on roof with insurance inspector and $500 cash could be persuasive, approve some extra roofs works out to a free vacation.

I wonder if the insurance companies run metrics to determine which inspectors are approving above average ? But if many do it, the average is higher :facepalm:

My guess is the fraud increased so quickly, more than the insurers were staffed and prepared for. Not all have enough local boots-on-the-ground to fight and contest claims when they double and triple in many zip codes, especially when they are dealing with actual events and storm damages claims after a busy season.

And even that means more inspectors which means more cost for the insurers to front.

It seems to me that in OP's case there is not sufficient damage. Two claims and an appealed claim have shown that. How can this be if the neighbors have had damage? Well, I suppose that OP's roofing material may be of higher quality than that of neighbors. Or, OP's house had better ventilation and the roof has aged better.

If you don't have a claim, don't make a claim. In my mind, to keep pushing this rope is wrong. I'm glad that the decision was taken to not pursue this.

Had a roof and paint job from hail damage 10-12 years ago. If another storm hits, I'm filing a claim. We've dodged direct hits the last several years, but others nearby weren't so lucky. EVERYONE in our areas rates skyrocketed, so mise well file claim, because your rate are going up no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom