San Antonio/Austin this December?

Hotel Emma is more than I would be comfortable spending. Hey, I’ve only recently upgraded to a Hampton Inn level. I’m looking online and I definitely want to stay in walking distance of Riverwalk, Alamo, etc.

I don't blame you - I have always considered Emma too expensive to even look up their prices.... I just did: about $800 a night. way past my pain threshold.
You can find plenty of decent places on or adjacent to the riverwalk for around $100. I'm sure the Emma is fancier, but at those prices, it'd darn well better be...

Last edited:
I don't blame you - I have always considered Emma too expensive to even look up their prices.... I just did: about $800 a night. way past my pain threshold.
You can find plenty of decent places on or adjacent to the riverwalk for around $100. I'm sure the Emma is fancier, but at those prices, i'd better be...

Wow….I knew the rates at Emma were high, but did not realize they were $800 high. Had I known, I would not have even mentioned the place. There are dozens of other places right on the Riverwalk (further south and closer to the hub of activity nearer downtown) that I’m sure would be more than adequate at a fraction of the price. The larger national chains such as Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc. all have at least one property nearby. Stay elsewhere and grab a drink at the Hotel Emma.

I’m not sure what your budget is, but if you are reasonable mobile, I would suggest the Hotel Emma at the Pearl. The Pearl is at the northern most end of of the Riverwalk, and is an old brewery that has been converted into a shopping, dining, entertainment complex. Even if you don’t stay at the Hotel Emma (which is quite nice, albeit pricey), you should swing by the Pearl, walk around, people watch and maybe have dinner and/or a drink. You can walk on the riverwalk from the Pearl to the downtown and the more well-known parts of the Riverwalk (bars, hotels, restaurants, near the Alamo, etc.) in about 45 minutes. If you don’t mind walking it is a very lovely walk…well landscaped, permanent art exhibits on display. Perhaps when you come, they will have restored the water taxi service which will take you to/from the Pearl to/from downtown. It has been shut down since the pandemic began. One suggestion…for the most part, I would avoid the restaurants on the Riverwalk that are downtown. Most fall into the the sorts of places that are perfectly fine, but nothing memorable. If you decide to come, let me know and I can share some of my favorite dives, food trucks, and special occasion places.

I’d love to hear your recommendations. Planning is still on, but omicron is scary.

I’d love to hear your recommendations. Planning is still on, but omicron is scary.

Honestly, I would wait until Omicron passes..but that’s me. We take out food (or eat outside) don’t eat in any restaurants…all of these places have take out/outdoor dining.

Singh’s is really good for Vietnamese food…not fancy, inexpensive…try the ribs and bahn mi

We like to go to Velvet Taco for some creative and non traditional Taco’s….everything, we have had there is good. I think the breakfast Tacos at Torchy’s are very good also.

A lot of people like Smoke Shack for barbecue….honestly, I haven’t been that impressed by them. I seem to be the exception…so I would,suggest giving it a go. Another popular place is Dignowity Meats…they have some good sandwiches.

I really like the Food Truck “Carnitas Don Raul”…its in a fixed location off Broadway Av near the Pearl. The pork tacos are good…I really like the Bean and Cheese Tacos which I normally hate. Really cheap.

Lot of upscale places…I am less familiar with those, though Supper at Hotel Emma is very good..beautiful terrace where you can eat overlooking the north end os the SA River.

Can confirm san Antonio folk are not masking widely and fewer every week.

Honestly, I would wait until Omicron passes..but that’s me. We take out food (or eat outside) don’t eat in any restaurants…all of these places have take out/outdoor dining.

Singh’s is really good for Vietnamese food…not fancy, inexpensive…try the ribs and bahn mi

We like to go to Velvet Taco for some creative and non traditional Taco’s….everything, we have had there is good. I think the breakfast Tacos at Torchy’s are very good also.

A lot of people like Smoke Shack for barbecue….honestly, I haven’t been that impressed by them. I seem to be the exception…so I would,suggest giving it a go. Another popular place is Dignowity Meats…they have some good sandwiches.

I really like the Food Truck “Carnitas Don Raul”…its in a fixed location off Broadway Av near the Pearl. The pork tacos are good…I really like the Bean and Cheese Tacos which I normally hate. Really cheap.

Lot of upscale places…I am less familiar with those, though Supper at Hotel Emma is very good..beautiful terrace where you can eat overlooking the north end os the SA River.
Have you tried 225 urban smoke? Theyre my current fav brisket. Agree smoke shack way overrated. Augies has cut portion sizes.

Honestly, I would wait until Omicron passes...

Definitely agree.

Cases in SA are still climbing and it looks like we are at least a couple of weeks from the peak. So many folks are out sick that some places (restaurants, convenience stores, etc.) have temporarily closed - although none of the regular tourist haunts, at least to my knowledge. All performances of Hamilton scheduled for the next two weeks have been rescheduled for the summer of 2023. Our dentist canceled all his appointments for this week. Local school districts have upped the pay for [-]babysitters[/-] substitute teachers due to hundreds of teachers and staff out with the virus.

Apparently not a good time for a visit.

We visited San Antonio about 4 years ago and loved it! Stayed at a hotel on the Riverwalk, many of the restaurants have outside seating. But, I, too, would wait until things are a bit better.

When DW and I lived there, we would often stay downtown when we wanted to experience the "tourist" side of things (we lived on the NW side of town). We usually stayed at the O'Brien Hotel which is a very short walk to the Riverwalk. Rates are usually about $100-$120 and the accommodations are pretty good. We were there as recently as last year and it was still a great little hotel.

https://www.obrienhotel.com/

Definitely agree.

Cases in SA are still climbing and it looks like we are at least a couple of weeks from the peak. So many folks are out sick that some places (restaurants, convenience stores, etc.) have temporarily closed - although none of the regular tourist haunts, at least to my knowledge. All performances of Hamilton scheduled for the next two weeks have been rescheduled for the summer of 2023. Our dentist canceled all his appointments for this week. Local school districts have upped the pay for [-]babysitters[/-] substitute teachers due to hundreds of teachers and staff out with the virus.

Apparently not a good time for a visit.

Tend to agree. We just came back a couple of days ago from visiting family in SA. We did a lot of outdoors stuff (SA actually has a number of really nice hiking parks and those were not crowded at all over the Holidays). We also braved an outing to the Zoo on one of the less crowded days. As far as stores, far fewer than 50% mask compliant - didn't't check any restaurants but probably far worse. Huge lines at the free testing sites (had one in the neighborhood and cars snaked around several blocks waiting....).

Well, we decided to postpone our trip. I was hoping to see a downward trend in Covid numbers, but that is not happening.

Back
Top Bottom