Scary basement leak - who do we call?

+1 . Some people freak out and get the walls dug out and coated when all they need is a load of dirt to return the slope near the foundation where the back fill has settled. That and some down spout extensions.

+2. I once "fixed" a basement leak at my mother's house with two bags of topsoil and a handful of grass seed. It was just that a low spot had developed and was holding water against the foundation wall. Build that up, put some seed on it, and done. I think I dawdled and spent 20 minutes on it.

Stay calm. First find the water source. Then divert the water source.
If broken pipe. fix it.
Think simple, and do not panic.
Easy for me to say.:dance:

+1 . Some people freak out and get the walls dug out and coated when all they need is a load of dirt to return the slope near the foundation where the back fill has settled. That and some down spout extensions.

+1
We had both structural and drainage issues. After the structural issues were fixed, but the foundation still excavated, I had the opportunity to watch the impact of drainage. I watched as downspouts and drainage were changed. I'd guess 98% of the water was diverted so the drain tiles never had to deal with it.

Once repaired, is this a "defect" that has to be disclosed to prospective buyers? Last time we spoke to a real estate agent, she was very emphatic about the need to "disclose" or be sued.
10 yrs ago we sold a house. The foundation had settled in one corner about 6 inches. We had the city building inspector out, an local architect , and had soil surveys done. Nobody could tell us why it happened. We had the foundation jacked up on pilings. This was a very expensive proposition, around $25k. Point is, when we went to sell I asked both my RE agent and our attorney about disclosure. They both told me that if the problem was fixed, there was no longer an existing defect. No disclosure was required nor recommended. We took their advice and 10 yrs after the sale...... no issues arose from it.

YMMV. Laws change from state to state and over the years. When you sell, I'd recommend you ask your attorney for advise.

+1

A sump pump not running frequently enough (or at all) can cause the water table to rise under the middle of the basement floor. Check the sump pit, many will normally have some water in them all the time, it's the level that's important as well as that the pump is operational.

+2 this is my thought as well. Also, if you don't have a curtain drain running to the sump pit, something like that may be needed to relieve pressure from other parts of the basement.

Back
Top Bottom