Scary good - Google Lens - try it!

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, maybe Google Lens has been out for a year or six and maybe I'm no kind of keeping up with the times. HOWEVER - if you haven't given it a try - do so now.

Took a picture of the shoe on my foot and it identified the maker and model name. We were out and bought some cool older design Corelle dishes - was digging around trying to find the discontinued pattern name with no success - gal snapped a picture and Google Lens IDed the pattern in well under a second. Took a pic of a Spanish saying scrawled in the back window of a pickup - Google Lens translated it. Pretty darn close to magic and leaping toward AI.

OK, maybe Google Lens has been out for a year or six and maybe I'm no kind of keeping up with the times. HOWEVER - if you haven't given it a try - do so now.

Took a picture of the shoe on my foot and it identified the maker and model name. We were out and bought some cool older design Corelle dishes - was digging around trying to find the discontinued pattern name with no success - gal snapped a picture and Google Lens IDed the pattern in well under a second. Took a pic of a Spanish saying scrawled in the back window of a pickup - Google Lens translated it. Pretty darn close to magic and leaping toward AI.

Yes, it is amazing. It's basically Google Search but using images.

You also use Google Lens as a QR code reader.

Yes, it is amazing. It's basically Google Search but using images.

You also use Google Lens as a QR code reader.
There's a google search by using images here:

https://images.google.com/

I used it years back when someone accidentally sent me a photo and wouldn't tell me what I was seeing in the photo. By using the image photo search, I determined it was a karaoke microphone and Michael Jackson glove. lol

In the eBay reselling world we use Google Lens all the time when we can’t identify an item. It’s far from perfect but it’s a very useful tool.

It’s part of the Google app on iPhone at least.
On my Android, you can launch it from Google app / Chrome / Photos if the Lens app is installed, anyway. Also from the camera. There's also a separate app icon for the Lens app.

Just tried it now & it is pretty nifty. It quickly identified photos of a basil plant, Mark Twain's house, & Mohonk Mountain Lodge. It would be very good with travel photos if you have no idea what the place or building is.

On the other hand, I tried it with photos of several autographed baseballs I've collected over the years, in person, from MLB players. Unfortunately the signatures are quirky & I can't recall or make out now who the signers are, & Google lens couldn't either (just showed me photos of other autographed balls with signatures that look very different).

But I will keep exploring with this. Thanks!

What is google lens? Is it a Google Ap, Software, or glasses?

I just found it on Google on my computer: went to Images, then clicked on the camera icon. It gives you the option of uploading a photo or dragging it from your computer.

You can also use Google to search for a song that is playing. Say your sitting in a restaurant and hear a song you want to know more about. I think you have to enable Google listening. But it's been pretty accurate when we test it out.

which app is comparable on an iphone se? Have heard of this app but never knew what it was or how to find it.

What is google lens? Is it a Google Ap, Software, or glasses?

Google Lens is built into the Google App:

IMG_0761.jpeg

and the Chrome browser:

IMG_0762.jpeg

Thread moved to the technology forum

You can also use Google to search for a song that is playing.

My phone listens for songs when it's idle and displays the title without being asked.

One more use for Google lens :

I use it to convert handwritten notes to editable text that can be pasted into a text processing app your PC/Phone.

Works remarkably well and it was able to convert my squiggles and scratches with a few minor post editing corrections.

As always YMMV. But it's a win in my book.

I just found it on Google on my computer: went to Images, then clicked on the camera icon. It gives you the option of uploading a photo or dragging it from your computer.

On my Chromebook and probably same with using just the Chrome browser if you see a picture you want to search just scroll over picture and two finger tap on the trackpad to bring up a pop up menu. Select Search Image with Google. :dance:

My new Galaxy S24 seems to read my inbound texts and offers short responses that are very relevant and appropriate. Spooky.

You can also use Google to search for a song that is playing. Say your sitting in a restaurant and hear a song you want to know more about. I think you have to enable Google listening. But it's been pretty accurate when we test it out.

I also use this function for songs in the background of shows, especially on Britbox and AcornTV. I've found some interesting international artists.

Back
Top Bottom