Scheduled for shoulder surgery

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments. They help keep me motivated despite the pain!

Thank you - very good advice! Had my surgery today and doc wants me starting post op exercises tomorrow. Looking forward to a complete recovery and will do what I can to cooperate with the doc’s advice. He repaired my tear and also removed some bone spurs and arthritis while he was in there.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery!

I hope you a fast recovery and glad all went well for you.

Scuba--update us please. By now the worst pain is no doubt over but the rehab exercises are in the early phase. I still have the cane I had to swing around for months--ugh! And all those wall crawls. But--it does get better, slowly, day by day. Hope you have a very good PT.

Six weeks to the day I was able to jettison the "dreaded sling" that has been my constant companion 24/7. :dance: The shoulder feels good. The range of motion is excellent. Now time to start strengthening. Doc says as long as I don't lift anything over a pound or two I should be fine. Going to take a while to get confidence in the right arm again. I am still freaked about retearing it!:(

Yes, we have been thinking about you, Scuba. :greetings10:

Six weeks to the day I was able to jettison the "dreaded sling" that has been my constant companion 24/7. :dance: The shoulder feels good. The range of motion is excellent. Now time to start strengthening. Doc says as long as I don't lift anything over a pound or two I should be fine. Going to take a while to get confidence in the right arm again. I am still freaked about retearing it!:(

This is great to hear! The sling is very protective but also very uncomfortable for me. Glad your shoulder is feeling good and you have great range of motion! Best wishes for the next phase of your recovery,

Thank you all for thinking of me. I so appreciate the well wishes.

My surgery was 8 days ago. I had a setback yesterday when the pain med I’d been on since the night of the surgery made me violently ill. At least I think it was the cause - an hour or so after taking it, I started vomiting and could not keep anything other than very small amounts of water down for the rest of the night. I stopped the pain meds yesterday but was very uncomfortable.

Today I felt much better and have been able to eat normally. Tonight I’m trying the pain med again combined with an anti-nausea drug. Fingers crossed.

My range of motion is definitely improving with my daily post op exercises, but my discomfort level is not that much better yet. I’ll be seeing the doc for a post op exam on 7/19. I’m hoping I’ll feel much better by then. All I’m doing is eating, resting with my sling on, and my post op exercises. I’m looking forward to feeling better so I can resume some social activities and get a bit more active. The doc said I can return to the gym for lower body exercises such as the stationary bike in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for thinking of me. I so appreciate the well wishes.

My surgery was 8 days ago. I had a setback yesterday when the pain med I’d been on since the night of the surgery made me violently ill. At least I think it was the cause - an hour or so after taking it, I started vomiting and could not keep anything other than very small amounts of water down for the rest of the night. I stopped the pain meds yesterday but was very uncomfortable.

Today I felt much better and have been able to eat normally. Tonight I’m trying the pain med again combined with an anti-nausea drug. Fingers crossed.

My range of motion is definitely improving with my daily post op exercises, but my discomfort level is not that much better yet. I’ll be seeing the doc for a post op exam on 7/19. I’m hoping I’ll feel much better by then. All I’m doing is eating, resting with my sling on, and my post op exercises. I’m looking forward to feeling better so I can resume some social activities and get a bit more active. The doc said I can return to the gym for lower body exercises such as the stationary bike in a couple of weeks.

So sorry to hear of your set-back. But it sounds like your rehab is proceeding well. Best results to you!

Thanks Koolau. The anti-nausea drug worked so I’m back on my pain med today. Yay!

Glad to hear the anti-nausea medication worked. I do recall vomiting when I went home after my last surgery, but did not realize at the time it was the pain meds.

Glad to hear the anti-nausea medication worked. I do recall vomiting when I went home after my last surgery, but did not realize at the time it was the pain meds.

I’m not 100% positive it was the meds, but it’s the first time I’ve vomited in decades.

Wishing you a continued positive healing and soon being able to resume normal activities. Happy to hear you are able to use the pain pills without getting sick. Hang in there!

Bumping this for updates please!

Scuba, look like you had your shoulder surgery about 3 months ago. I'm facing probably having the same next March (waiting due to holidays and some trips). How is it going? According to convention, you should be back to normal now, but still not full strength.

Would be interested in hearing how these past 3 months have been!

Thanks for asking! I’ve made really good progress and both my surgeon and my physical therapist are pleased. I was told the recovery time was more like 4-6 months just to get full range of motion and be out of pain, not 3 months, and I can vouch for that. Strengthening to pre-op level will take longer.

Below is a rough outline of what I experienced:

- Weeks 1-2 - pretty rough, on opioid pain meds for first week or so. Pretty much out of it except for doing my range of motion exercises twice a day. Second week I got off the pain meds but still needed assistance to shower, get dressed, etc.

- Weeks 3-4 - Still wore rigid sling except for when doing exercises. Still had to sleep sitting up on reclining sofa. Improved ability to shower, get dressed, etc. but still needed some assistance. Also could not do much cooking because couldn’t lift pans, heavy dishes, etc.

- Week 5 - Started physical therapy at PT facility in addition to home exercises. Focused on improving range of motion. The sling came off except when I went out to a couple of crowded places. Started sleeping in bed again, but still in a somewhat propped up position with a pillow under my elbow for a few more weeks.

- Week 8 or 9 - Able to drive again! Able to wash and style hair plus get dressed without assistance. Able to function pretty normally in the kitchen, sometimes assisting with unaffected arm.

- Week 12 - PT exercises shifting focus to rebuilding strength. Range of motion is still not 100%. I can lift my arm all the way up but it still hurts a bit to do so. External rotation is about 80-85% of normal now. I can’t yet bend my arm behind my back and reach my upper back like I can on the other side. Strength building is with light weights (1-2 lbs) and resistance bands.

I’ve been told by my doc and my PT that I should have full range of motion with no pain by the end of the year (6 months). Fully rebuilding strength to pre-surgical level will likely take longer.

Bottom line - it’s no picnic and I can’t yet say whether my outcome will be as good as I’d like. Most important thing is to do the PT regularly so you keep moving the joint. I have been going to PT twice a week and also doing exercises at home twice daily. Have rarely missed doing the exercises. Consistency is important.

Good to hear you are successfully over the worst parts. I can say that my full recovery lasted 9 months or so. I got pretty depressed at around 6 months thinking the surgery had failed and saw my doctor. He assured me recovery could take longer, for some up to a full year. By about 9 months to the day, the dull ache that drove me crazy suddenly stopped. I had already achieved full motion through diligently doing all my exercises. That was three years ago now and I'm 100% since then. It is just a long, long, long recovery! I was so sick of thinking about my shoulder that long and now I never give it a thought. Hang in there!

- Week 12 - PT exercises shifting focus to rebuilding strength. Range of motion is still not 100%. I can lift my arm all the way up but it still hurts a bit to do so. External rotation is about 80-85% of normal now. I can’t yet bend my arm behind my back and reach my upper back like I can on the other side. Strength building is with light weights (1-2 lbs) and resistance bands.

I’ve been told by my doc and my PT that I should have full range of motion with no pain by the end of the year (6 months). Fully rebuilding strength to pre-surgical level will likely take longer.

Bottom line - it’s no picnic and I can’t yet say whether my outcome will be as good as I’d like. Most important thing is to do the PT regularly so you keep moving the joint. I have been going to PT twice a week and also doing exercises at home twice daily. Have rarely missed doing the exercises. Consistency is important.

I am right there with you. Just started using 2 lb weights last week and of course trying to get my arm into the middle of my back is the worst.

It seems my life now centers around PT. I’ll admit it gets old and it does get me down from time to time. But I am on track and this will pass.

Glad your recovery is on track.

Thanks for your update.

I was lucky to avoid surgery from an earlier injury via PT only, but I have a labrum tear that got aggravated about a year ago that isn't going to heal. It's frustrating because the ROM and pain aren't THAT bad (and cortizone works for months for me) but not something I want to just deal with forever. Right now I'm telling my Ortho doc to plan for late March as I have the holidays and some trips in 1Q, but then figure the rest of 2023 is going to be recovery... bleh.

I currently lift heavy weights (bench and deadlift mainly) and my doc wants me to keep that up as much as possible before surgery, but it's going to be a long road getting back to them.

Bumping this for updates please!

Scuba, look like you had your shoulder surgery about 3 months ago. I'm facing probably having the same next March (waiting due to holidays and some trips). How is it going? According to convention, you should be back to normal now, but still not full strength.

Would be interested in hearing how these past 3 months have been!

I’ve had surgery on both shoulders. My left didn’t have as extensive damage - torn labrum and slight cleanup of rotator cuff. That was 11 years ago. If I recall correctly, recovery was in the 6-9 month range, with lingering aches for over a year.

My right shoulder had the trifecta of torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and torn biceps. Surgery was last December. I was given a nerve block that completely deadened my arm. I highly recommend one - talk to your anesthesiologist. I awoke to no pain at all, whereas on my previous shoulder surgery, I awoke to the worst pain I’d ever had coming out of surgery, and I’ve had multiple ortho surgeries. I’m a little under 10 months post surgery and still have some discomfort from time to time, but I’m back to an active lifestyle. My mens doubles partner and I just won a gold medal in a pickleball tournament yesterday. :) I was able to start playing pickleball and golf after 6-7 months, but it was kind of scary because I kept thinking I had re-injured my shoulder whenever I’d feel sharp pain. Doc said it would take a full year for full recovery.

Not knowing the extent of your injury, I’d highly recommend against surgery unless you have a tear of 50% or more and the doc says there’s no other option. Shoulder surgery is by far the worst surgery I’ve had. Very painful and long recovery. As others have said, if you have it, stick to the PT religiously. I still do exercises every day.

Good luck!

For the bra wearing population, the ability to unhook your bra by using your arms behind your back demonstrates the successful completion of physical therapy after shoulder surgery. It’s a long road from surgery to that marker, though.

Good to hear you are successfully over the worst parts. I can say that my full recovery lasted 9 months or so. I got pretty depressed at around 6 months thinking the surgery had failed and saw my doctor. He assured me recovery could take longer, for some up to a full year. By about 9 months to the day, the dull ache that drove me crazy suddenly stopped. I had already achieved full motion through diligently doing all my exercises. That was three years ago now and I'm 100% since then. It is just a long, long, long recovery! I was so sick of thinking about my shoulder that long and now I never give it a thought. Hang in there!

That is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing and I’m happy for you that you’re back to 100% and it has lasted!

I am right there with you. Just started using 2 lb weights last week and of course trying to get my arm into the middle of my back is the worst.

It seems my life now centers around PT. I’ll admit it gets old and it does get me down from time to time. But I am on track and this will pass.

Glad your recovery is on track.

Thank you, and I’m glad yours is as well. As long as I see progress, it keeps me motivated, even if small steps. Regression gets depressing but luckily I have not gone backwards too much. My physical therapist says it is not unusual during recovery for people to have setbacks where pain increases or range of motion decreases slightly.

Keep the faith! We’ll get there!!

Thanks for your update.

I was lucky to avoid surgery from an earlier injury via PT only, but I have a labrum tear that got aggravated about a year ago that isn't going to heal. It's frustrating because the ROM and pain aren't THAT bad (and cortizone works for months for me) but not something I want to just deal with forever. Right now I'm telling my Ortho doc to plan for late March as I have the holidays and some trips in 1Q, but then figure the rest of 2023 is going to be recovery... bleh.

I currently lift heavy weights (bench and deadlift mainly) and my doc wants me to keep that up as much as possible before surgery, but it's going to be a long road getting back to them.

Even if you don’t have full recovery, it doesn’t mean you couldn’t travel some. I am 3.5 months out from my surgery and I’m going on a short trip, my first plane ride since surgery, in a few days. And we are going to Australia for 2 months in December. I’m going to bring my resistance bands with me and keep doing my PT while on the road.

I’ve had surgery on both shoulders. My left didn’t have as extensive damage - torn labrum and slight cleanup of rotator cuff. That was 11 years ago. If I recall correctly, recovery was in the 6-9 month range, with lingering aches for over a year.

My right shoulder had the trifecta of torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and torn biceps. Surgery was last December. I was given a nerve block that completely deadened my arm. I highly recommend one - talk to your anesthesiologist. I awoke to no pain at all, whereas on my previous shoulder surgery, I awoke to the worst pain I’d ever had coming out of surgery, and I’ve had multiple ortho surgeries. I’m a little under 10 months post surgery and still have some discomfort from time to time, but I’m back to an active lifestyle. My mens doubles partner and I just won a gold medal in a pickleball tournament yesterday. :) I was able to start playing pickleball and golf after 6-7 months, but it was kind of scary because I kept thinking I had re-injured my shoulder whenever I’d feel sharp pain. Doc said it would take a full year for full recovery.

Not knowing the extent of your injury, I’d highly recommend against surgery unless you have a tear of 50% or more and the doc says there’s no other option. Shoulder surgery is by far the worst surgery I’ve had. Very painful and long recovery. As others have said, if you have it, stick to the PT religiously. I still do exercises every day.

Good luck!

Wow, congrats on your win! That’s amazing!! I agree with you that this surgery should be a last resort. I did have the nerve blocker and it helped a lot. My doctor didn’t advise cortisone for my particular situation, and even though I only had a partial tear, I had tried PT for 9 weeks and my pain was just getting worse. Hopefully I’ll have a full recovery and will be back to my usual activities in the next few months.

For the bra wearing population, the ability to unhook your bra by using your arms behind your back demonstrates the successful completion of physical therapy after shoulder surgery. It’s a long road from surgery to that marker, though.

Heck, I have not had shoulder surgery (no shoulder issues at all) and I can't do that!

Back
Top Bottom