Science Fiction Legend Arthur C. Clarke, 90, Die

I know (believe) there's several sci-fi folks on this forum. Sir Arthur wrote 100 books. He will always be remembered for 2001: a Space Odyssey.

Though he wrote many wonderful books, I will always remember him by a favorite from my early teen years, Childhood's End. It is a tribute to the man that he wrote many books that will grace many bookshelves for generations after we have joined him beyond the veil.

Though he wrote many wonderful books, I will always remember him by a favorite from my early teen years, Childhood's End. It is a tribute to the man that he wrote many books that will grace many bookshelves for generations after we have joined him beyond the veil.

That book, and many of his short stories, greatly affected my teen years.

I read alot of his books in high school. I wonder how much of our rapidly changing world technology wise came about because of the visions and ideas that he and his cohort of SF authors wrote about in the 50's and 60's.

DD

He was my earliest and favorite author. I hope you're among the stars. RIP, Arthur.

I also loved Childhood's End as a teen and read everything Clark wrote that I could get my hands on. What a remarkable guy!

Grumpy

Another big fan of his here. Read all the books mentioned, and like them all. Another I liked was 'Tales from the White Hart' short story collection. Also remember the old TV series he used to host as being very interesting.

Too bad that he is gone. Gives me an excuse to reread some of his books, and maybe find a few I missed.

Another big fan of his here. Read all the books mentioned, and like them all. Another I liked was 'Tales from the White Hart' short story collection. Also remember the old TV series he used to host as being very interesting.

Too bad that he is gone. Gives me an excuse to reread some of his books, and maybe find a few I missed.

"The Defenestration of Ermintrude Inch"

A great author. When my parents were stationed in Sri Lanka, they managed to get me an autographed copy of 2001.

"The Defenestration of Ermintrude Inch"

Thanks Khan. Still have that book. Will read that story tonight.

There is a video he recorded for his 90th birthday you may find interesting if you haven't already seen it Video. If I messed up the link, it's on youtube.

Last edited:
I just can't believe he has died! Yet apparently, he was an old man. Where has the time gone. I loved Childhood's End, too.

Seems like a good time to re-read some Arthur C. Clarke. I have quite a few to choose from, that I bought and read many years ago and have not re-read in far too long.

Some of these that I have in front of me are
Earthlight,
The City and the Stars,
Imperial Earth,
Prelude to Space,
A Fall of Moondust,
The Deep Range, and
Tales of Ten Worlds (a collection of short stories)

Arthur C. Clarke was extraordinary and he, and his work, will not be soon forgotten.

One of my favorite authors also. Songs of Distant Earth comes to mind, among others.

My early teen favorite was The City and the Stars. Re-read that one many times.

Back
Top Bottom