Sculptor of Wall Street bull says 'fearless girl' horns in on his work

From when the BULL was installed in 1989 to March 7 when the girl was installed,
the DOW was up 663%
From March 7 to present,
it's been down 2.4% already.

I rest my case. Remove the girl, or at least turn her around!

Here you go, my bear vs bull bookends...

Attachments

• bookends.JPG
    bookends.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm not Gumby and have not spoken with him on this, but my guess is he was thinking " a discussion about art, not gender pay issues". Just a guess .. :)

But isn't that exactly the discussion that the art is intended to facilitate?

Maybe later, I'll see if I can find any comments from the artist (sometimes they prefer the work to speak for itself), but I'm guessing he was hoping for a deeper discussion than "what ratio of bronze to copper did you use in this statue?".

I'm really not clear on what a "discussion about art" is, if it isn't about what the art represents? Is it just materials and technique? If so, the OP is out of line because it talks about impression, perception of that art (but I don't think that either).

-ERD50

I'm not Gumby and have not spoken with him on this, but my guess is he was thinking " a discussion about art, not gender pay issues". Just a guess .. :)
But isn't that exactly the discussion that the art is intended to facilitate? [...]
I'm really not clear on what a "discussion about art" is[...]
In general, when told by two (now three) mods/admins that certain aspects of a discussion are too incendiary and may result in thread closure, it's usually advisable to talk about something else rather than to argue. Luckily our members are generally quite bright, like you are, and so they have no problems figuring this out.

Last edited:
Spot on, Michael. I did not believe further elaboration was necessary, but apparently I was wrong. It is my prediction that, should the discussion continue on its current course, we will soon reach the point where a certain Warner Brother's character makes an appearance.

In that case I demand Petunia! :LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 9
I find the photos of happy young girls posing next to the new girl statue to be uplifting and lovely.

The original artist basically ninja-installed the art with no permit, so I would imagine that gives him about zero claim to the turf.

Art is often best enjoyed 'in situ'.

As I recall, many of the great sculptures were made in such as way so as to counter the distorted perspective one gets when looking up at something that is on a roof or column. In this case, the 'in situ' of the the bull has been changed and thus the art has taken on a new meaning to some. I see that as growth, though I can understand that the original artist might also see it as the equivalent of pigeon droppings on a statue.

In general, when told by two (now three) mods/admins that certain aspects of a discussion are too incendiary and may result in thread closure, it's usually advisable to talk about something else rather than to argue. Luckily our members are generally quite bright, like you are, and so they have no problems figuring this out.

OK, "color me" dense then (keeping in the "art" theme!), but I took the following two comment as just a discussion of the OP. I sure wish it would be made abundantly clear when these are MODERATORS talking, and not just discussion participants, as they often are. I guess I'm just not bright enough to tell the difference.

edit/add - looking back, I also think I answered to MB, before refreshing the page and seeing Gumby's post about porky or any hint of thread closure.

I will bow out.

I thought this thread was about art?

-ERD50

Last edited:
It's not art. it's a corporate ADVERTISEMENT for an index fund.

'"Know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference," with SHE referring to both the gender of the subject and the fund's NASDAQ ticker symbol"

Ironically enough, the index fund SHE is down more than the DOW since SHE was installed.

It's not art. it's a corporate ADVERTISEMENT for an index fund.

'"Know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference," with SHE referring to both the gender of the subject and the fund's NASDAQ ticker symbol"

Ironically enough, the index fund SHE is down more than the DOW since SHE was installed.
So proving the theory that advertising works? Or that the Index stinks?

To assuage the artist, simply turn the girl so she is facing the big Wall Street firms - the message is the same.

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom