Sealed for Life transmissions? (Ford)

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are nearing 50,000 miles on our 2017 Ford F150 4x4 2.7L turbo truck.

I know the transmission does not have a dipstick and is "sealed for life" which is supposed to not require as much maintenance. Do any of you who own one of these type transmissions change the fluid at some point, and when? I may have missed it in the service schedule but I don't see it. Seems wrong.

My 2017 F150 with a six-speed automatic is supposed to have the fluid changed at 150,000 miles. I intend to change it at 75,000 miles- I have 70,000 miles on it now. I don't know about the 10-speed transmission, but I would change it at no more than 75,000 miles (better at 50,000 but I missed that mark on mine).

You can change the fluid. Doesn't have a tube and dipstick like the older ones. So you need to put fluid in the pan through the plug which is just above the pan rail. You have to be under the truck to see it and access it. Needs a pump or similar to get the fluid into the trans. I would do it at 50K intervals, it is not fluid for life. Even if you pay for a drain and refill, it is not too bad of cost. It is good to change out auto trans fluid. No flush needed if you do regular changes. Just drain and refill. If doing it yourself, you can add a drain plug with a simple kit that is about $10 or less. Makes future draining an easy nearly no mess process vs the dropping the whole pan and trying to catch the fluid process with no drain plug.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Somehow, I didn't get notice of your question to me.

I change the fluids myself and I only replace about 4 qts of transmission fluid out of the 12 qts that the transmission contains. Therefore, I want to change it at least 3 times by the time I have 150,000 miles on the truck. I also replace the filter when I change the fluid. As 38Chevy454 mentioned, you can buy a kit with a drain plug or a new drain transmission plug with a drain to make changing the fluid easier. You can also buy a kit to allow you to check the fluid without having to crawl under the truck. I haven't bought either since I change the filter with the fluid, so I deal with the hassle of removing the pan each time.

Why change the filter? I had a friend who didn't and after 150,000 miles the filter broke up and ruined his transmission.

Another reason is I own a Dodge with one of the early Chrysler electronic transmissions. There were a lot of problems with them when they first came out. I still drive the car almost every day. I change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles along with the filter. The car has 275000 miles on the original transmission.

Back
Top Bottom