SEC Chair now says 90% - 95% of retail trades go to Dark Pool

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Listen to around 4:00 min of the video. 90% - 95% of trading are dark pool. I think last year he said 40% - 50%.

Looks like it's very easy for money managers to manipulate orderflows now.

When he said market orders go to wholesalers, did he just mean stock market orders or did he mean that limit orders do not?

Listen to around 4:00 min of the video. 90% - 95% of trading are dark pool. I think last year he said 40% - 50%.

Looks like it's very easy for money managers to manipulate orderflows now.

What he said was 90% to 95% of retail trades (not all trades) go to wholesalers, not dark pools.

What he said was 90% to 95% of retail trades (not all trades) go to wholesalers, not dark pools.

The title of my post clearly said “retail trades’ .. i dont know why you are trying to dispute that. And most wholesalers are off market now .. aka dark pools.

No problem. The original post didn’t really make a specific point or give a reason to discuss, so I highlighted those points to make sure they aren’t missed. In the US equity markets most equity trading is institutional, only about 1/4 is retail, so it’s not clear what this means, how it impacts us or if we should be concerned.

If you’d rather I remove or edit my post, not problem, but it would help to add some context.

Last edited:
In the past, I read about large institutional block trades not going to the exchanges. For example if MF A wants to sell $100M worth of a certain stock to MF B, the deal is transacted directly between the two parties. I assume they already agree on a price, but I don't know if this price and the trade are reported publicly.

In the case mentioned in this thread, a wholesaler is acting as the other side of the many small retail trades, without going to the exchange. I assume that the price for the trade is taken as the same quoted bid/ask that is posted by the exchanges at the time of the trade. Else, it would be a cheat to the retail investors.

I guess if the trades are not going through an exchange, they will not be included in that exchange trading volume of the day. If true, this means that the total trading volume is a lot higher than we read about.

Of course, the wholesalers are not doing this to be nice, but to make money. But if they are selling/buying at the same price as being conducted publicly on the exchanges, then what is the harm? I don't know enough about this, and am curious to learn more.

I found a relevant article by the SEC on this, and am still reading it.

https://www.sec.gov/files/staff-report-equity-options-market-struction-conditions-early-2021.pdf

What is the "who cares?" in the original post? Serious question.

Back
Top Bottom