Security Information Failures

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It seems that 500 million of us now have credit card information and passport information out in the wild for use by the bad guys and gals. This time we can thank Starwood and perhaps Marriott.

https://arstechnica.com/information...on-exposed-with-passport-card-numbers-stolen/

On Friday, Marriott International announced a system breach that has affected approximately 500 million customers, with stolen information including names, credit card numbers, mailing addresses, email addresses, and passport numbers.

At this point I just assume the hackers are into every data base out there. I have already frozen my credit at all 5 agencies.

At this point I just assume the hackers are into every data base out there. I have already frozen my credit at all 5 agencies.

There are over 40 agencies if you want to play wack-a-mole as new ones pop up. There are credit freeze threads here with a PDF list so you can decide how far you want to take it.

Yes, we froze our credit after the Target fiasco a few years ago.

I love having big corporations tell me how secure their systems are. I recently closed a Chase (trust) account and asked to have all my personal info erased from their database. The rep said ‘we can’t do that, we keep that info forever, and you’ll find most organizations do the same. Besides we have the best security possible so your info is completely safe!’

I said, ‘that’s what every big name organization tells customers- right up until they’re hacked.’ She didn’t argue with me...

Last edited:
I figure at this point, there just isn't too much I can do except monitor my credit. I know that my info is out there and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out much of it. In the worse case, the homeowner's insurance covers identity theft in case that happens.

Yes, we froze our credit after the Target fiasco a few years ago.

I love having big corporations tell me how secure their systems are. I recently closed a Chase (trust) account and asked to have all my personal info erased from their database. The rep said ‘we can’t do that, we keep that info forever, and you’ll find most organizations do the same. Besides we have the best security possible so your info is completely safe!’

I said, ‘that’s what every big name organization tells customers- right up until they’re hacked.’ She didn’t argue with me...

Honestly that's pretty common. Development focuses on adding and maintaining data, purging is an afterthought. I've seen many major financial systems with no ability to purge customer data, not sure that's what I want as a consumer but as a developer I understood. There were some valid legal reasons why purging had to be delayed, but not forever.

I just canceled my relationship with Dollar Shave Club as their system won't allow me to put my orders on hold and they keep sending me stuff. Can't say I have any confidence they're able to protect my data. Today they send me an email saying I can still use my account. Gladly the card on file had been replaced.

I don't worry about it. The information is accessible. Apparently, these hackers were inside the Marriott network for four years. I keep my credit frozen at the major credit agencies and watch my statements. The CC companies cover phony charges. I also never use debit cards although I don't actually know if banks apply different rules to phony charges on them.

I never opted to save my card info. And it’s not there when I make another reservation.

My credit card info is not nearly as sensitive as my SS number anyway.

I think hotel reservation systems are frequently breached. There have been numerous reports over the years.

I don't worry, but maybe I should.
A week ago, I tried signing on to my Netflix account, but was rejected. A phone call and a half hour later, was fixed, but....

My password had been changed, and then my user name. Pretty funny. During the discussion, I found out that my home information had been added to... Someone had changed my Peru (IL) address to Lima, Peru...

Back
Top Bottom