Looks like Equifax was breached

I did the credit freeze about 1-2 years ago with the 3 agencies, after the word of the Anthem Blue Cross hack.

But several of my credit cards give me FICO scores which are updated regularly.

In addition I opened an Experian account and have their app. which shows my accounts.

I froze DW and my credit report last week at Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and Innovis.

Checked my FICO® Score today and found that it dropped from 818 to 806. Oh the horror! Please don't tell the neighbors.

I did the credit freeze about 1-2 years ago with the 3 agencies, after the word of the Anthem Blue Cross hack.

But several of my credit cards give me FICO scores which are updated regularly.

In addition I opened an Experian account and have their app. which shows my accounts.

Businesses you have a relationship with have access to your credit file.

Rick Smith and I worked in the same building for a few years when we were at the same GE sub- not that he'd know me from Adam.

Hey, since he was only 57 maybe he'll join us here!:)

You will know if he does as he will probably put his er.org password in his sig.

Rick Smith and I worked in the same building for a few years when we were at the same GE sub- not that he'd know me from Adam.

Hey, since he was only 57 maybe he'll join us here!:)

His first question will be: "With a pension of 18 Million dollars per year, can I afford to retire?" :LOL:

His first question will be: "With a pension of 18 Million dollars per year, can I afford to retire?" :LOL:

You know the responses. "It depends. What are your expenses? Have you included healthcare? Have you run your numbers through FIRECALC? :LOL:

FN

I have serious doubts if there is a way for any company to be 100% hack proof. Seems like the hackers are just smarter and a step ahead of any security measures that are out there to protect us. In Russia the best paying jobs for computer grads are in cybercrime so that's where most of them end up.

I have serious doubts if there is a way for any company to be 100% hack proof. Seems like the hackers are just smarter and a step ahead of any security measures that are out there to protect us. In Russia the best paying jobs for computer grads are in cybercrime so that's where most of them end up.

This is certainly true that no company can be hackproof. But if they make an effort to make passwords harder to guess than admin/admin, if they keep up with security patches provided by their suppliers, if they communicate effectively when a breach affects customers, if they don't make their reporting site look like a phishing site by using a brand new domain, if they don't send customers to an actual phishing site by tweeting the wrong domains, if they offer meaningful redress instead of a token year of monitoring followed by PAID service, if they didn't try to trick customers into waiving rights until they were called out on it, it would go a long way toward being more understanding.

Oh, and a bunch of insider sales before the announcement, followed by a golden parachute "retirement" doesn't get much "hackproof" sympathy either.

Businesses you have a relationship with have access to your credit file.

So those businesses are a hacker's way around any freezes we place. This means the hacker can get more credit at a business that is already providing some to us.

Reported by Bloomberg News, Equifax announced lifetime free credit locking. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fer-free-credit-freezes-for-life-new-ceo-says
Equifax Inc. will debut a new service that will permanently give consumers the ability to lock and unlock their credit for free
Not sure what the difference is between credit freeze and lock, although it looks like a credit lock is a billable service. No details on the offer. The NY Times provides some additional thoughts https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/your-money/equifax-credit-freeze-lock-apology.html?_r=0

Reported by Bloomberg News, Equifax announced lifetime free credit locking. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...fer-free-credit-freezes-for-life-new-ceo-says

Not sure what the difference is between credit freeze and lock, although it looks like a credit lock is a billable service. No details on the offer. The NY Times provides some additional thoughts https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/your-money/equifax-credit-freeze-lock-apology.html?_r=0

Hopefully, the lifetime free credit locking/unlocking becomes the norm in the industry.

Hopefully, the lifetime free credit locking/unlocking becomes the norm in the industry.
+1 Totally agree.

I found this explanation of credit lock https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/credit...ud-alert-security-freeze-and-credit-lock.html
Credit Lock

A credit lock is a service offered by credit reporting company Equifax that is similar to a security freeze with some exceptions.

• Definition: A credit lock gives you the power to block access to your Equifax credit file like a security freeze. However, the difference is that this credit lock allows you to lock and unlock your account online easily rather than having to verify your identity every time you want to lift or place a security freeze.
  • Cost: There is an annual fee associated with the credit lock service.
  • How long it lasts: Since a credit lock is part of a paid service, it will most likely last as long as you pay the annual fee.
You could also choose to name specific companies that you would like to be approved to access your Equifax credit report. The credit lock only works for Equifax and not the other two credit reporting companies.

Like pulling teeth. After submitting a copy of my DL and utility bill via email, Equifax finally believed I am who say I am. Was able to reset my password to log in. Went ahead and tried logging in and the first screen I got was one saying enrolling processing, may take 48 hours. I clicked on a "my account" tab and the browser crashed.

As I said, pulling teeth... I'll try again logging in again a few days :facepalm:.

Yea, does this Equifax freeze do you any good if a fraud is perpetrated at the other two big credit reporting agencies?

Sorry. Don't have the ref handy, but reading several Krebsonsecurity.com articles Krebs says the credit lock is not the same.
I'm not saying they are. If credit lock is a retail service offered by Equifax, I'm doubtful they will give it to us for no charge without a catch.

Yea, does this Equifax freeze do you any good if a fraud is perpetrated at the other two big credit reporting agencies?
I'm sure we'd get lots of sympathy from Equifax ..

IMO a credit freeze is still the recommended course of action.

Sorry. Don't have the ref handy, but reading several Krebsonsecurity.com articles Krebs says the credit lock is not the same.

from the link -> https://www.lexingtonlaw.com/credit...ud-alert-security-freeze-and-credit-lock.html

"A security freeze will stop creditors from looking at or accessing your credit file entirely. Only those you authorize to view your credit report will be able to access it, including loved ones and creditors."

Am I the only one personally offended that "loved ones" are bundled with creditors?

On the other hand, why would I want "loved ones" to access my credit file?

Can we trust Equifax to keep this credit locking site secure?

Especially when they would derive no revenues from running it?

I think after all the litigation they face, they may not even survive. And if that happens, I won't shed one tear drop.

If you pay to freeze your credit history, keep your receipts so you have proof of the expense.
This was reported on our news as IL is suing Equifax, it's estimated 1 Million affected in IL , and State law allows the State to request $10,000 per person.

On the other hand, why would I want "loved ones" to access my credit file?

I checked DH's for him occasionally- he just didn't want to bother with it. I figure that people with excellent credit and zero credit card debt who never check their reports are sitting ducks for ID theft. I also checked DS' a few times after my Ex requested DS' SS number, ostensibly to include him as a beneficiary on something. The Ex had a track record of fraud (he'd used my credit cards without my permission) and I wanted to make sure he wasn't opening credit in DS' name. Fortunately, he wasn't.

I want to start a business where I can put people at risk and then charge them a monthly fee to help reduce the chances that my own actions will harm them.
"Nice restaurant you have here. It would be a shame if it caught fire. My friends will be by next month to collect $50 to help prevent that."

"Nice financial reputation you have there, it makes your personal info pretty valuable. It would be a shame if . . ."

I want to start a business where I can put people at risk and then charge them a monthly fee to help reduce the chances that my own actions will harm them.

"Nice restaurant you have here. It would be a shame if it caught fire. My friends will be by next month to collect $50 to help prevent that."

"Nice financial reputation you have there, it makes your personal info pretty valuable. It would be a shame if . . ."

And recall that these companies have the power to crush your credit rating if they get wrong information and have historically been deaf to efforts to get that same wrong information corrected. They have a lot of power and very little accountability.

Back
Top Bottom