Seeking Input on Living in Nevada or Utah

Although a topic for it's own subject, retirees with good pensions/retirements are leaving California in droves and taking billions of dollars with them. As a public retiree from the Bay Area with a large CalPERS pension, I've seen countless friends pull up and move to places like Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. It wasn't to many years ago that people would have laughed at that thought.

Unfortunately California is losing it's core population that keeps this place running. Before long it'll either rich elite or poor immigrants, nothing in-between.

We are very concerned about this. Don’t want to be the last man standing!

Although a topic for it's own subject, retirees with good pensions/retirements are leaving California in droves and taking billions of dollars with them. As a public retiree from the Bay Area with a large CalPERS pension, I've seen countless friends pull up and move to places like Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. It wasn't to many years ago that people would have laughed at that thought.

Unfortunately California is losing it's core population that keeps this place running. Before long it'll either rich elite or poor immigrants, nothing in-between.
Respectfully disagree. There are many immigrants families that I know that save invest and are quite well off in CA. They are usually not in debt like most Americans, don't take many vacations and push their kids to finish and complete their education. Yes California is pricing out the middle class but immigrants in CA that are classified as poor? . Far from the truth.

Respectfully disagree. There are many immigrants families that I know that save invest and are quite well off in CA. They are usually not in debt like most Americans, don't take many vacations and push their kids to finish and complete their education. Yes California is pricing out the middle class but immigrants in CA that are classified as poor? . Far from the truth.

I agree with you, but I do think Cali will soon be a state of the haves and have nots, the middle class won't exist and that's a loss for everyone.

A former collogue retired to a community on the NV side of Lake Tahoe and loves it. He is an actuary so accepted a job with the State of NV just to keep his brain perking.

Personally, I think that it is for everyone's benefit that middle-income retirees move from high-cost cities. The housing made available will benefit new arrivals. CA property tax laws were designed to prevent older residents from being taxed out of their homes but it has really discouraged many from downsizing and, as a result, the cost of family-sized homes has skyrocketed.

Well said. Thank you.

The OP asked about Vegas. We really like the Summerlin area. Huge Sun City there as well as a ton of nicely developed areas. Nothing in Vegas is super safe but it's about the safest I would say. As others said Henderson is also nice but more hit and miss than Summerlin in my experience.

Someone else asked about Reno/Sparks/Carson. I have friends that live in all 3. Reno and Sparks are connected but Reno has some slightly nicer areas up in the hills. The rest of Reno and Sparks are not too impressive. They are trying to revitalize the downtown Reno but still a dump for the most part. Carson City is sort of a working class town. It's nothing to write home about though there is an excellent Thai restaurant in downtown Carson City near the Nugget! If I had to pick I'd go to the foothills of Reno.

Downtown looks much better than 20 years ago. Some really nice upscale condo buildings and many restaurants and bars.

As a former resident of Utah I can affirm the LDS thing. Met a lot of great folks but, you always knew you were an outsider. They didn't make you feel that way at all but, you just KNEW that you were (if that makes sense). Didn't bother me much, but my wife at the time couldn't stand it.

Utah vs. Nevada is a no brainer if Taxes are part of the equation. No income tax in Nevada among other things...

I am also eyeballing Nevada cities and will be taking a vacation in the near future to scope some of them it out. Although I have been to Vegas (too) many times and also visited Reno once, I feel the need to do a driving tour from one to the other and spend a little time in different cities/areas to really get a sense of how living there would actually be. I will report any findings here of course.

Thanks for starting this thread BTW !

:)

BirdMan

Last edited:

+100.

There have been TV reports of people moving out of CA. That was there for years, not a new phenomena. The people living are replaced with new people moving in from other States, and countries. I live in Bay Area and the most who are moving out are cashing in on their houses. I just don't see the mess exodus that some media has reported. Case in point, there are no empty houses in my neighborhood. Houses are still being bought and sold at fast pace and there are a lot of new constructions going on. If there is an exodus, where are the empty houses? Why are they building new apartments, condominiums, houses?

+100.

There have been TV reports of people moving out of CA. That was there for years, not a new phenomena. The people living are replaced with new people moving in from other States, and countries. I live in Bay Area and the most who are moving out are cashing in on their houses. I just don't see the mess exodus that some media has reported. Case in point, there are no empty houses in my neighborhood. Houses are still being bought and sold at fast pace and there are a lot of new constructions going on. If there is an exodus, where are the empty houses? Why are they building new apartments, condominiums, houses?

The numbers i took a quick google of indicate an exodus is not happening

As a former resident of Utah I can affirm the LDS thing. Met a lot of great folks but, you always knew you were an outsider. They didn't make you feel that way at all but, you just KNEW that you were (if that makes sense). Didn't bother me much, but my wife at the time couldn't stand it.

Yes, it’s just like that. We had no idea of this dynamic. We are seeing how it goes, and I’m beginning to understand how it feels to be in the minority which has actually been enlightening...but I’m also reading with interest the possibilities in NV...

Last edited:
Yes, it’s just like that. We had no idea of this dynamic. We are seeing how it goes, and I’m beginning to understand how it feels to be in the minority which has actually been enlightening...but I’m also reading with interest the possibilities in NV...

I don't see how you could move to St George and not know this beforehand. With all due respect saying you know what it feels like to be part of a minority is really off putting and a slam to minorities everywhere. . You don't fit the local demographic which is overwhelmingly LDS. Anyone who spent five minutes reading about the area would know this.

As an army brat whose Dad retired in Northern Utah, I can tell you the LDS are unfailing friendly and if you have a problem they will give you the shirt off their back. They expect nothing in return. They sync their church/family life together....which means they spend a lot of time doing church stuff. They tend to marry young and have fairly large families. LDS can be a very time consuming religion. They live their religion which can seem very different to someone who isn't religious or is an hour on Sunday type of person. But to the posters that say they feel like they are "outsiders" ,that's a chip on your shoulder talking or perhaps just not understanding the tenants of their religion. Buried in the large number of LDS are people LDS in name only raised LDS but not very involved in church activities much like any other religion.

I remember when my Dad died on the East Coast after divorcing my DM and refusing to pay alimony or child support for my teenage sister. Local church members came around and gave my Mom an envelope with a large amount of cash in it, saying we know you will need to travel.

When the divorce was happening my Mom got weekly delivery of free groceries and fresh food and meat from the local LDS storehouse where they grow prep and can their own food, with volunteer labor from the church. My Mom and sister were neighbors living in the ward who needed a hand and no one cared that they weren't LDS.

You can't find better neighbors anywhere and their kindness to my family will always be remembered. You can drive to Mesquite NV 40 minutes away and buy all the cheap booze you want, if drinking is a big deal to you.

It's my hot button that people feel free to talk down about the LDS because the church follows a different drummer. Everyone is "different" including me and every poster here.

Hi Ivinsfan - I had nothing derogatory to say about those who belong to the LDS faith tradition. I too, find them to be good people and great neighbors. Prior to moving here, I understood there would be more LDS than in Albuquerque NM but my knowledge of how deeply the faith tradition is embedded in the culture was insufficient to understand the impact.

I’m not angry with anyone! And I’m not much of a drinker. And I’m not part of the majority faith tradition.

I was thinking my comments might be helpful to others who, like myself, didn’t fully understand the impact of moving to an area largely participating in a single faith tradition if you are in a different faith tradition.

Peace,

I don't see how you could move to St George and not know this beforehand. With all due respect saying you know what it feels like to be part of a minority is really off putting and a slam to minorities everywhere. . You don't fit the local demographic which is overwhelmingly LDS. Anyone who spent five minutes reading about the area would know this.

As an army brat whose Dad retired in Northern Utah, I can tell you the LDS are unfailing friendly and if you have a problem they will give you the shirt off their back. They expect nothing in return. They sync their church/family life together....which means they spend a lot of time doing church stuff. They tend to marry young and have fairly large families. LDS can be a very time consuming religion. They live their religion which can seem very different to someone who isn't religious or is an hour on Sunday type of person. But to the posters that say they feel like they are "outsiders" ,that's a chip on your shoulder talking or perhaps just not understanding the tenants of their religion. Buried in the large number of LDS are people LDS in name only raised LDS but not very involved in church activities much like any other religion.

I remember when my Dad died on the East Coast after divorcing my DM and refusing to pay alimony or child support for my teenage sister. Local church members came around and gave my Mom an envelope with a large amount of cash in it, saying we know you will need to travel.

When the divorce was happening my Mom got weekly delivery of free groceries and fresh food and meat from the local LDS storehouse where they grow prep and can their own food, with volunteer labor from the church. My Mom and sister were neighbors living in the ward who needed a hand and no one cared that they weren't LDS.

You can't find better neighbors anywhere and their kindness to my family will always be remembered. You can drive to Mesquite NV 40 minutes away and buy all the cheap booze you want, if drinking is a big deal to you.

It's my hot button that people feel free to talk down about the LDS because the church follows a different drummer. Everyone is "different" including me and every poster here.

Thanks for this very personal input.

Hi Ivinsfan - I had nothing derogatory to say about those who belong to the LDS faith tradition. I too, find them to be good people and great neighbors. Prior to moving here, I understood there would be more LDS than in Albuquerque NM but my knowledge of how deeply the faith tradition is embedded in the culture was insufficient to understand the impact.

I’m not angry with anyone! And I’m not much of a drinker. And I’m not part of the majority faith tradition.

I was thinking my comments might be helpful to others who, like myself, didn’t fully understand the impact of moving to an area largely participating in a single faith tradition if you are in a different faith tradition.

Peace,

Back at you and I feel people can dwell too much on the LDS aspect as a negative factor. I never thought you were angry, I'm not angry either just trying to present both sides of the coin. But I'm unclear what you mean when you say "understand the impact" ,what impact to you feel it has had on your personally. if any? Enough that you apparently would consider moving. For example IMO Mesquite has no neighborhood vibe and no town personality, it's a town with a bunch of different people living in it. The original residents put up with the newbies because they make money from them, but they don't really care about you.

It seems to me that people can be nice neighbors but if you don’t have anything in common you are not going to hang out together. I would not want to live in a LDS community for that reason. I need close deep friendships.

Ivinsfan (and I’m a fan of Ivins as well) - I don’t care for Mesquite either so we agree there - to me it’s not an attractive location. I’m a Contemplative Prayer & Retreat Leader and offer workshops on spiritual practices and deepening ones experience of God. There were many more people interested in this in NM. So that been the impact for me.

Peace,
I think your comments are very helpful for anyone whose not been in the area. I spent a week in SLS 20 years ago and was expecting some issues with the liquor laws, no big deal.

However the night we got in, a couple of us had to pull an all nighter. At 3AM we wanted coffee. HAHAHA. To me it's little things like that.

I saw this thread early on but never jumped in to respond. I immediately thought about Reno and Carson City. Reno has a passenger friendly airport, and it is a quick drive to Tahoe! Eastern Sierra is desert-much less affected by huge Sierra snowfalls. Weather permitting, Highway 395 is a great road to get to Southern California-much less well travelled than other highways.

The altitude keeps it much cooler than Vegas. And if it's really hot, drive up to Lake Tahoe, about an hour away.

Ivansfan, thanks for your personal post. While we are not Mormon, we do embrace their sense of family, community charity and preparation. None of us know what the future will bring. There are many challenges to our American way of life both within and outside our country. As we get older we may have to rely increasingly on local resources, services and personal assistance. The Mormons value their elderly and have an infrastructure to help address their needs. While we will call on family and friends first, just knowing that the Mormons are there to back them up gives us peace of mind.

BTW, Fox Business just recently released one report on which states have the top 10 highest and lowest utility bills. They also released a report back in July ranking all 50 states as 'Best and worst states for retirement'. Utah came up second in both reports - second lowest cost of utilities and second best state for retirement.

It seems to me that people can be nice neighbors but if you don’t have anything in common you are not going to hang out together. I would not want to live in a LDS community for that reason. I need close deep friendships.

Do you value family, doing unto others, politeness, valuing young and old alike? Clean living and treating your body with great respect? You would have more in common then you think.

I think your comments are very helpful for anyone whose not been in the area. I spent a week in SLS 20 years ago and was expecting some issues with the liquor laws, no big deal.

However the night we got in, a couple of us had to pull an all nighter. At 3AM we wanted coffee. HAHAHA. To me it's little things like that.

Well in my town you are not going to find coffee at 3AM either....

Ivinsfan (and I’m a fan of Ivins as well) - I don’t care for Mesquite either so we agree there - to me it’s not an attractive location. I’m a Contemplative Prayer & Retreat Leader and offer workshops on spiritual practices and deepening ones experience of God. There were many more people interested in this in NM. So that been the impact for me.

You got me on the user name, when I selected it, Ivins was a sleepy little almost rural bedroom community of St George. .that's definitely changed in the last 15 or so years:)

Well in my town you are not going to find coffee at 3AM either....
This was a very large insurance company. I've never been to a large office that didn't have coffee, except there. It makes sense now.

If you ever lived somewhere where people are nice but you aren’t able to fit in because your religion, political views, etc are polar opposite and your relationship is not close it sucks.

Back
Top Bottom