sell 'as is' or 'fixed up'

sgeeeee said:
A smart buyer will prefer the house "as is" so they can get a lower price and do the repairs their way.

My experience is that there are almost no smart buyers.

If you don't do the painting and needed repairs, you will likely pay for it in time on the market and price.   :D :) :D

Heehee, you should have seen my house when I bought it. In pretty decent overall shape (aside from needing some minor stuff), but the previous owners had an, um, unique sense of decoration. The furnace service guy walked in the house, looked around and said "wow! they must have smoked a lot of pot!" Some paint, spackle and wallpaper and the house looked great. Sat on the market for months and they had to whack their price a couple of times before we came along.

Neighbor with same house recently did a 35K fix up with new kitch, top of the line and 2 new bathrooms and new windows.

Yeah ... don't go to this extent thinking of re-sale value; do it because you want to live in it. Your nieghbor got lucky and got his $$ back. Most rehabs like this return 60-70 cents on the dollar ... less as they age.

My MIL dropped ~100k into her kitchen and was told (buy the installer) her house would appreciate 115k. I told her it was more like 70k ... she said I don't know what I am talking about; to which I said "and I am also NOT selling you anything".

Hmmm

Back in 1993 in ole SW Washington - sold my Mom's 1898 Vic as is - 4 yrs as a rental - new roof and paint visible from the outside - finally got flipped.

Our house in MO had been sitting vacant for a yr(85k for 3 bedroom, 1 bath, handicap modified, 1200 sq ft). Two lots across the street. Adding new wood floor and painting all rooms - needs lawn care and landscaping and a few cracks in the driveway patched.

Then - :confused: Spec build on the two lots? Sell  this house after two years?

Alas - life in the burbs gets confusing. Not in a hurry though.
Heck - still haven't bought that kayak yet - and warm weather is almost here. Going to 70 again - maybe.

Back
Top Bottom