Sell Treasury to put proceeds into MM?

bpgdeg1234

Recycles dryer sheets
I asked this in Bogleheads earlier but looking for any additional input here. I presently have $125K Treasury note in my Vanguard TIRA that if sold today would realize roughly $123,139.65 (accrued interest not included) and upon maturity on April 30, 2024 will pay out $126,406,25 ($125K plus last 2.25% coupon).

I was considering whether it would be worth to sell it and just put the proceeds into my brokerage settlement account VMFXX that is presently getting 5.29% (compounded 5.42%)? It looks like the end numbers are relatively close.

My rationale for potentially making such a move is that it gives me liquidity in my TIRA with the proceeds in the VMFXX (assumming no Fed rate cuts over the next 5.x months) while allowing the potential for additional moves such as filling in my evolving TIPS ladder as missing 2029-2031 rungs, a longer-term brokered CD or a new treasury if rates were to go up from here over the next few months.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I asked this in Bogleheads earlier but looking for any additional input here. I presently have $125K Treasury note in my Vanguard TIRA that if sold today would realize roughly $123,139.65 (accrued interest not included) and upon maturity on April 30, 2024 will pay out $126,406,25 ($125K plus last 2.25% coupon).

I was considering whether it would be worth to sell it and just put the proceeds into my brokerage settlement account VMFXX that is presently getting 5.29% (compounded 5.42%)? It looks like the end numbers are relatively close.

My rationale for potentially making such a move is that it gives me liquidity in my TIRA with the proceeds in the VMFXX (assumming no Fed rate cuts over the next 5.x months) while allowing the potential for additional moves such as filling in my evolving TIPS ladder as missing 2029-2031 rungs, a longer-term brokered CD or a new treasury if rates were to go up from here over the next few months.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Less that $150 difference. Do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom