Sell VG Core Bond Index, or stocks?

Sanbenito1

Recycles dryer sheets
I’m helping my nephew with a down payment on his house by giving him some of his inheritance early. I own only one bond fund, Vanguard Core Bond Index (VCOBX) and the rest is primarily Vanguard Total Stock market index, and some international index. The Bond fund id down, I imagine in response to rising interest rates- should I sell it now, assuming things will only get worse, or sell stocks now, hoping bonds will get better. I don’t need the money, and am at 80% stock/20% bond

I’m helping my nephew with a down payment on his house by giving him some of his inheritance early. I own only one bond fund, Vanguard Core Bond Index (VCOBX) and the rest is primarily Vanguard Total Stock market index, and some international index. The Bond fund id down, I imagine in response to rising interest rates- should I sell it now, assuming things will only get worse, or sell stocks now, hoping bonds will get better. I don’t need the money, and am at 80% stock/20% bond

Generally speaking when I need money, I try to do part of my "rebalancing" with the sale. So, if my stocks have gone crazy (which they had, prior to my early-year taking of RMD withdrawal) I sell stocks. In this case, I was even more strategic by selling some of my old megacorp stock (picked up in my 401(k)) because the stock had exploded in value.

Don't know how to advise on selling bonds - especially if they are already depressed in value. One poster here in the last day or so suggested he was going to wait for "blood in the streets" - or words to that effect - in the bond markets and then "buy, buy, buy" - or words to that effect.

Simple suggestion sell something to get back to your 80/20 or whatever you want your AA to be. No expert, and I've made every mistake so YMMV.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom