Selling big art collection

catii

Recycles dryer sheets
Now that we're retired, we've decided to start downsizing with our art collection. Probably not a big problem if we lived on the mainland, but we live in Hawaii, so packaging & shipping are going to be significant factors, since we plan to sell the artwork ourselves. I contacted a half-dozen art stores, & was shocked at how much they wanted to charge to handle the sale (think >50%)!

The majority is wall art in professional frames, with each piece retailing from $2500-$4000. The remainder are sculptures, $5000-$20,000. We're considered to be "major collectors" of two of these artists. I haven't finished my spreadsheet, but there are probably about 30 pieces that will need to be packaged for shipment. I think that I'm stuck having to hire one of the art stores to do the packaging. The big dealers can include packaging/shipping in the artwork's price, because they do it in-house, but I can't.

Any recommendations on how to word that packaging is separate, & will have to be calculated after I know the buyer's address?

Perhaps just saying "FOB Kaneohe" will tell a prospective buyer that they can either pick it up from you or arrange their own packing and shipping.

Any recommendations on how to word that packaging is separate, & will have to be calculated after I know the buyer's address?

You might want to put in some estimates, at least roughly, to say, Chicago, LA, NY, to ward off those that will balk at any shipping cost. To at least whittle down the queries.

What platform will you use for selling though? Most require the shipping amount to be disclosed, and collecting it separately is challenging.

Or just put in the shipping cost for somewhere on the far/high end, such as the East coast, and advise you will refund the difference if it comes out less for their location.

IOW: Shipping, $200, then if it comes out to $157, refund that bit. But packing and shipping this stuff safely is going to be expensive.

Have you looked into a house in say, California, and then having it all shipped there via freight, and then have them handle all the sales?

ETA: You've probably thought of this, but perhaps look into art museums that might be interested in the collection?

Last edited:
It seems to me you have two components to the shipping:
a) packaging of the art to prevent shipping damage
b) actual shipping from your location to the new location

It is item a) that is probably where the local art stores are giving such high quotes. Good secure packaging is required, and that costs money. I imagine it requires a crate with proper hard exterior surfaces to prevent shipping damage. Custom crates are labor and material costs. Is there any way to get used art shipping crates, like from the local art stores, that you could reuse yourself?

Then of course item b) shipping costs have gone up a lot recently. Shipping requires fuel, which is a direct expense of shippers.

Last edited:
I contacted a half-dozen art stores, & was shocked at how much they wanted to charge to handle the sale (think >50%)!
That's what I found when I thought I wanted to sell of some of our art work, wasn't worth the trouble for what we'd net. I also tried to sell pieces myself, and that went almost nowhere unless I wanted to sell for much less. Despite the amazing stories of 7-10 $ figure investment grade artworks, the market below the top is nothing like that IME.

it seems to me you have two components to the shipping:
a) packaging of the art to prevent shipping damage
b) actual shipping form your location to the new location

It is item a) that is probably where the local art stores are giving such high quotes. Good secure packaging is required, and that costs money. I imagine it requires a crate with proper hard exterior surfaces to prevent shipping damage. Custom crates are labor and material costs. Is there any way to get used art shipping crates, like from the local art stores, that you could reuse yourself?

Then of course item b) shipping costs have gone up a lot recently. Shipping requires fuel, which is a direct expense of shippers.
+1. Exactly what I would expect. Even if the work isn't extremely valuable, no buyer would accept any damage whatsoever, so you'd almost have to have custom crates made - especially from as far off as HI. Best of luck, hope you work it out to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
+1. Exactly what I would expect. Even if the work isn't extremely valuable, no buyer would accept any damage whatsoever, so you'd almost have to have custom crates made - especially from as far off as HI. Best of luck, hope you work it out to your satisfaction.

And lots of insurance as it's probably going to get damaged.

DW once bought a small (about 2 feet across) bronze sculpture and had it shipped 2,000 miles. It weighed around 50-60 pounds, and a custom crate had to be built for it. Excellent quality packing and shipping, but the cost was over $500 back in the 80s. I shudder to think what that would cost today.

Something you find out quickly (when you try to sell) art specifically and collectables in general is that you buy at retail and sell at wholesale for the most part. The exception is possibly selling at auction - then you pay (what?) 1/3 to the auction house. Then again, you got to enjoy the art and did not have to keep an art store going. Sorry I can't offer solutions as YMMV.

You can purchase boxes or crates for shipping art, here's one that's pretty good, although a bit expensive: https://airfloatsystems.com/

But it's not that hard to build your own packaging for shipping paintings. Depending on the size of the piece and it's value, you might want to try this. I've successfully shipped framed paintings up to 18xx24" in size by 1) wrapping the piece in paper, then bubble wrap, 2) sandwiching that between 2 sheets of hardboard or thin plywood cut to size, 3) wrapping that in more bubble wrap and 4) finally boxing that in a very sturdy cardboard box.

Back
Top Bottom