Semi-retire at 50

Sure. I estimate approximately 6k - 7k per month. I don't have a full picture yet on expenditures due to a move to a lower cost location and "incidental" college cost as #1 son goes to college in the fall.

Market down days like today always hurt but are part of the cycle so I keep a couple years in cash to ride out the down periods.

My single biggest expense post FIRE and a worry, ( have a paid for house), is health insurance - ACA plan for family of 4 isn't cheap. Nor is the deductible. That was the expense I was worried most about but so far it's going ok. That's between $1200-1400 per month excluding any deductible.

Other Insurance is a big expense too : I dropped the life insurance at this stage. Don't yet have long term care insurance... But am keeping disability insurance. Teen drivers make car insurance spendy and liability insurance is important to protect the nest egg.

College will be an expense for the kids but as noted we have put what I hope is enough away to cover that and plan to sell stock along the way through the year to cover the next year's tuition.

I'm still nervous as hell about all this drawdown and worry about safe withdrawal rates etc because i don't know anyone who retired early like me - going it alone aside this forum. The first several months were really challenging to disconnect and not think about money ALL the time but I am figuring it out and starting to relax a little and enjoying my time immensely especially when I see others deal with work and politics and commuting and all the bad stuff that comes with work.

For me, the extra cushion just wasn't going to make me more happy. I'm just as fine with a 5 year old car as a new one - I like my fun toys too but am moderating my spending to a retiree budget. I'm way happier with the time I have now to enjoy the toys and things -- they were sitting in the garage going unused before I FIREd.

What else can I share ? What are you interested to learn about ?

Last edited:
Biker: in a similar position but haven't pushed the button.

I just turned 40 last week. 2 kids (3 and 1). Currently about 4m in investment assets and about 1.3m house with 650k left on the mortgage (southern California and got lucky bought at the bottom).

My income is much more than we spend and I mostly enjoy my work...

What is pushing me closer is my daughter now asks me every morning to stay with her instead of going to work. I know that in a few years she will likely ask the opposite :). So I feel like if I don't take the time now... I'll regret it.

It's also likely work will always be there. I'm in tech but there's no way I wouldn't keep up with it because I love the content and it would just become my hobby.

Like you I'm worried about insurance, draw downs etc but at the same time I have more than enough to spend the formative years with my kids in almost any nightmare scenario. And it's likely that were good forever at this point in almost any situation.

So I suspect in the next year or so I will make the shift.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Petershk, My situation is similar to yours but my kids are seven. It is natural for kids to say this at that age. In my experience, I notice my time for them will truly last until they are ten or so. Reason I say is that the peer pressure and activity laden life start to get heavy around this point for many kids.

I am thinking about taking a year off in the next year or two to enjoy this special time with my kids. It sounds like you are in good shape to take even more time than me but you also have plenty of money to take time off and then jump back in later.

Hopeisnotaplan, I live in Nashville as well so like you I enjoy the lower cost of living lifestyle; though I can't see to stop visiting all the great new restaurants we have.

It seems that you have no worries as long as your expense management is in check, even at your $80k+ rate per year expense rate.

Like many people have suggested, I would think about the things that make you excited about your life and work and make sure you can translate this into a new lifestyle.

Congrats, you are well on your way to something new.

Back
Top Bottom