Senior Health

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few of you are aware of this saga and I am willing to share more than many want to hear. As you read this keep in mind that my 71st birthday is only a couple weeks away.

After many years of boring mammograms I developed a rather cavalier attitude but it was a change from my previous mammogram that really caused concern. Lesson 1: tolerate pressed breasts, but whining is ok. Lesson 2: if you change health care providers ask for your records to be provided to the new team.

Biopsy results were early stage but invasive, very small site (not palpable).

Managed to snag a highly regarded surgeon. I asked my gynecologist for recommendations as he is in his 50s and would have seen a lot of this in his practice.

Lumpectomy + radiation = mastectomy results. Lumpectomy very appropriate for my diagnosis.

Pathology results from surgery couldn't have been better, even the receptor results were optimal. I was a candidate for brachytherapy with twice a day, 5 days of treatment.

Along the way I agreed to participate in a diagnosis study and a brachytherapy study. I am otherwise healthy and, God willing, will live long enough to provide meaningful data. On the other hand they don't have to manage treatment for a long lifespan. In this case being an older patient is an advantage. Tomorrow I see the oncologist and will see what she recommends.

Based on stories I have heard from other breast cancer patients treatment options have increased even in the last 10 years. Living in a city with a highly regarded medical school whose graduates stay in the community is a big plus. I have been blessed in so many ways.

Breast cancer is serious but that doesn't mean that we can't have a laugh or two along the way. If nothing else a positive attitude helps worried family members.

Breast cancer is serious but that doesn't mean that we can't have a laugh or two along the way. If nothing else a positive attitude helps worried family members.

Brat, With an attitude like this, I'm sure things will turn out well for you. Wishing you all the best!

Brat, I really admire you for sharing this. So helpful. And your participation in two studies? You're amazing.

Brat , I hope when I am faced with something I have as good an attitude as you have ! Best wishes for a speedy recovery !

Most of the forum members trying to figure out how to retire early are a lot younger than I. My cohorts have been there, doing that.

What is missing is that (I hope) all of you will at some time confront health issues as a senior, but many of you will be dealing with this for your parents.

There are generational issues that many do not realize such as that until the mid/late 60s condoms were used to prevent pregnancy... the God Awful of my era. STDs were an issue for the poor or 'others'. There hasn't really been a sex education program for sexually active seniors. For that I have no good suggestions (reversal of roles that wasn't well addressed back in the day) unless and until health care providers initiate some education program. Don't think it doesn't happen as I saw it in my Mother's retirement residence where ladies would pick up a key.

Along that line there are gynecological issues unique to elderly mothers that I am just now learning about. No one told me about this back in the day.

One of my classmates suffered a stroke after a dermatologist took him off coumadin for a biopsy. After that another classmate (an MD) checked his coagulation rate closely before surgery. We depend on our health care providers to consider those details but perhaps we should check before one physician changes medications prescribed by another. The lack of ready access to health care records generated by others may contribute to these events.

Maintaining health care screening is critical (it was in my case) and making an effort to maintain health (ok, I need to loose at least 10 pounds). I don't know about you but I grew up when a physical was a process of poking and prodding, now much seems to focus on tests. Some of the intimacy with a physician is missing, IMHO. Times change, I can manage, but not without missing the good old days.

I appreciate medical research, if today's physicians can learn something from my body it is my gift to the next generation. A facility conducting scientific studies is where I want to receive treatment. I want to be among active learners.

None of us will leave this earth alive. In my case I want to maximize the quality of my life, not its length.

Now, if I could only figure out how to combine a boob job with a face lift.. after all the surgery suite and anesthesiologist are already paid for. Dream on Brat!

In case anyone is wondering here is my update to family:

I am receiving the 5-day/twice a day brachytherapy, even better than the 10-day I was expecting. My treatment will be part of a study on the part of the radiation oncologist, implicitly there aren't a lot of longitudinal studies of this approach but what the heck - I have maybe 25 years max lifespan so there is little practical impact on my long term health if it is less effective than whole breast radiation. I will definitely comply with their mammogram protocol in the future.

A few days later:

I am feeling like a celebrity.. When I met the oncologist she was delighted that I volunteered to be in her study when this siege started. She had discussed my case earlier that morning with staff not knowing that she would meet her test subject within the hour.

She said that the surgery pathology results found a very tiny cancerous site, she demonstrated with a dot from her pen. .1 (or was it .01) millimeter in size, barely a Grade 1. [The diagnosis biopsy may have grabbed most of it.]

She prescribed Tamoxifen daily for 5 years and follow-up consult in 6 months.

My last radiation treatment was Friday afternoon the removal of the balloon catheter wasn't at all fun but sleep is much easier without that contraption on my chest.

I am on the mend and by all accounts doing very well - the surgery site is occasionally itchy, nerves fire off now and again as they test new circuits, lymph node removal site still sore, and that catheter hole in my chest needs to heal. Oh for a long hot shower!

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it only gets better from here.

Great. Keep up the good work! I have two relatives - one greater Portland area and one in Reno. 5+ yrs after surgery and the other 1+ - following doctors orders, exercising and going strong. Ages 88 and 61 give or take them being women. ;)

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom