Senior rentals near Phoenix

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have some family near Phoenix. I would like to visit them for a month or two in the not to distant future. Since they work during the day and are busy with their personal lives in the evening, I would like to rent in a senior type retirement complex where where will be retired folks like me. Hopefully, I can make a few friends.

But, I know almost nothing about the Phoenix area and how to go about this. Should I try to do this from far away and hope for the best? Or should drive on down, rent a hotel room for maybe a week while I find a place to rent for a longer time? Or, are there other options?

Suggestions and recommendations would be welcome.

I don't have the perfect answer to your question. I don't know Phoenix, and I suspect such a place might be difficult to arrange.

But, if it's just going to be a month or two, why not rent a suite at Extended Stay America or a similar place? This wouldn't be just seniors, but you could seek out seniors elsewhere as you go about your various activities there.

I have thought that if I ever move again (I won't), then I'd just move a few things into a suite at Extended Stay America, sell the rest in an estate sale, then sell the house. Then I'd have lots of cash (well, relatively speaking) and I'd pretty much be free to do whatever I wanted to do.

It might not be too difficult to arrange a rental as this is off season. I think you’d do fine using a site like vrbo. You might also try connecting with a real estate agent in the area. Also, if you can narrow down the place you want to be, call them directly. Many have property management firms that handle the rentals.

Having never been to Phoenix you need to prepare for the heat and dryness of the desert. Talk to your family about that. I was caught off guard when I went and even more so when I went to Las Vegas.

If you're not familiar with Phx wait until at least September. But really as far as the actual place this is probably dependent on which part of town you'll be in, so as to be close to your family. Otherwise you can easily be 45mins apart, as the valley really sprawls.

The next 7 days highs go from 113 to 119 lows at night from 85 to 91!
I could not stand that:facepalm:

Does it get worse in July?

I have some family near Phoenix. I would like to visit them for a month or two in the not to distant future. Since they work during the day and are busy with their personal lives in the evening, I would like to rent in a senior type retirement complex where where will be retired folks like me. Hopefully, I can make a few friends.

But, I know almost nothing about the Phoenix area and how to go about this. Should I try to do this from far away and hope for the best? Or should drive on down, rent a hotel room for maybe a week while I find a place to rent for a longer time? Or, are there other options?

Chuckanut,

In SWFL, I've seen some apartment complexes that were built for leasing to seniors (55+) only. They claim to be for active seniors, yadda, yadda. I've never set foot in one so I can't offer any more info, but perhaps something like this would fit the bill? https://www.diamondoaksvillage.com/

As others have said, try and find some place close to your family, as traveling across Phoenix can take a while.

Another thought popped into my head as I was typing...what about looking for programs (typically offered during the daytime, often through libraries, parks & rec depts., OLLI, etc. ) for the time you plan to be there? That might be an easy way to meet up with other seniors. Even a gym membership and going during 'working hours' might put you around seniors.

omni

The next 7 days highs go from 113 to 119 lows at night from 85 to 91!
I could not stand that:facepalm:

Does it get worse in July?

You can, if you just stay indoors, or not venturing too far from your house. :)

When going out, it helps to have the car parked in the garage, and not baked in the sun all day. Of course, where you go, you may not be able to get covered parking.

This year, I will use my pool of 16'x36' more, because I spent time to string up shade sails to cover most of it. It took 4 sails: a 16'x16'x16' triangular sail, a 12'x12'x12', a 12'x12'x17', and a 12'x16'. I should have done it earlier. The sails will let me swim without getting sunburned.

Been thinking about putting up even more; on the sides of the house, and perhaps a pergola in front too.

And no, it does not get a lot worse in July, unless we break the record of 122F.

... I would like to rent in a senior type retirement complex where where will be retired folks like me...

While I do not have specific knowledge, I suspect that there may be places that rent to retirees.

There are retiree communities here, and the snowbirds usually leave their places in the summer to flee from the heat. I wonder if they would offer their winter homes up for rent.

This year, I will use my pool of 16'x36' more, because I spent time to string up shade sails to cover most of it. It took 4 sails: a 16'x16'x16' triangular sail, a 12'x12'x12', a 12'x12'x17', and a 12'x16'. I should have done it earlier. The sails will let me swim without getting sunburned.

I’d love to see some pictures of the sails and read how you installed them. I don’t live in Phoenix, but the sun shine bright her in Michigan in the summer and I’ve been trying to figure out a way to put some shade over the pool. I hate having to put sun screen on when I want to just hang out in the pool for awhile.

^^^ I will see if I can take some photos tomorrow, but every installation is different.

In my case which is somewhat peculiar, the tie points are on the 2nd story wall of the house, the block fence, and the solar array structure. I did have to plant a 4"x4" post when I needed a mounting point where none existed.

Sometimes, it is possible to use existing structures, like the following Web photos show.

A1%2B0yOzQ2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71P7fiIcaWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81xIGp3KGlL._AC_SX522_.jpg

In most cases, you will have to plant some posts, like the following.

71abdpZ3sdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I’d want to use posts. I don’t really want to attach something like that to my house.

Like others have said if you go during the summer months expect the heat to be extreme with triple digits during the day and 90's overnight.
That said most of the snowbirds will have probably left for cooler climes. The Surprise area (west side of Phoenix) has multiple large subdivisions that will probably be empty and may have some rentals available. Don't know how to find them since summer rentals are not the norm. But there should be some available. Again don't expect to do much outside even though there are multiple things to see and do. Head to Flagstaff or north of Payson to get out of the heat.
We've been visiting friends (he recently had a TKR so helping out) for a month and this last week has been brutal. Walking outside in 115º is like walking into an oven.

I doubt if I will go in the middle of the Summer heat. That makes about as much sense as visiting Green Bay in January. I am thinking of perhaps April and October, so as to avoid the true snow-birds.

But, if you're in Green Bay in January, you're probably at a playoff game!

Yeah, sometimes you can be surprised.
I'll never forget the first time I was sent on a two week business trip to Iceland. It was the middle of January.

As it turned out, despite the -55°F chill factor it was a great trip. I loved the place and have been back there several times since (at a better time of year).

You can, if you just stay indoors, or not venturing too far from your house. :)

When going out, it helps to have the car parked in the garage, and not baked in the sun all day. Of course, where you go, you may not be able to get covered parking.

Been thinking about putting up even more; on the sides of the house, and perhaps a pergola in front too.

And no, it does not get a lot worse in July, unless we break the record of 122F.

Seen a few of those sails "take flight" in monsoon winds...

Early morning and evening are the best times to swim there. Even a few minutes in strong midday sun can produce a sunburn.

Garage the car and pick up some cheap white towels to cover the seats. Even beige leather seats can burn the back of your legs after the car has been out in the sun. Ask me how I know...

July is hot too but the monsoon rains make it humid. Phoenix is pretty ugly unless you get out of the valley into a little higher elevation where the Sonoran desert is spectacular. Good time to visit is nov-March.
Just to visit family for a few months I would get an Airbnb close to them and ask for monthly rates.

Be careful with ESA. In some areas, they have a very down-on-their-luck clientele - people who have no place else to go.

We found that out when we needed a place to stay between sold and bought home. The local ESA looked fine from the outside, but within...we felt treated as if they thought we might be one step away from jail, and the bed felt like 10,000 people had jumped up and down on it.

This was in a very affluent county, too.

But, if it's just going to be a month or two, why not rent a suite at Extended Stay America or a similar place? This wouldn't be just seniors, but you could seek out seniors elsewhere as you go about your various activities there.

I have thought that if I ever move again (I won't), then I'd just move a few things into a suite at Extended Stay America, sell the rest in an estate sale, then sell the house. Then I'd have lots of cash (well, relatively speaking) and I'd pretty much be free to do whatever I wanted to do.

But really as far as the actual place this is probably dependent on which part of town you'll be in, so as to be close to your family. Otherwise you can easily be 45mins apart, as the valley really sprawls.
This is very important! From the west end of Buckeye to the northeast side of Carefree is a drive of 70+ miles.

I doubt if I will go in the middle of the Summer heat. That makes about as much sense as visiting Green Bay in January. I am thinking of perhaps April and October, so as to avoid the true snow-birds.

October and November are probably my favorite times to visit Phoenix and Scottsdale, very nice weather but the big crowds haven't arrived yet. Probably need to be more specific on what area of Phoenix, as mentioned the greater Phoenix metro area is very spread out, best to find a place fairly close to your family. There is another recent thread on rentals in Sun City AZ on the west side, a seniors community but may not be convenient travelling to many areas of Phoenix.

Be careful with ESA. In some areas, they have a very down-on-their-luck clientele - people who have no place else to go.

We found that out when we needed a place to stay between sold and bought home. The local ESA looked fine from the outside, but within...we felt treated as if they thought we might be one step away from jail, and the bed felt like 10,000 people had jumped up and down on it.

This was in a very affluent county, too.

There was an article in the New York Times recently about this. Behind a pay wall, but it describes the renters and the problems encountered on both sides. There is a new chain that specializes in this market as well. Very efficient at collecting rent and evicting, not so much on the maintenance.

The nearest personal weather station just reported a temperature of 116F. The highest temperature of the day usually happens at 3PM, which is still an hour away.

The low this morning before sunrise was 87F.

Living here is not for sissies.

Well, it can be, as long as sissies have ACs.

You don't state a budget but I would reccomend you stay in Scottsdale. The McCormick Ranch area is primarily older but Scottsdale in general is quiter than most areas. The Kierland area is also quite nice. If you like to ride a bicycle they have extended bike paths that carry through most of Scottsdale.

I would look at VRBO, this one is open for six weeks in November December for $115 a night:

https://www.vrbo.com/1609943?adultsCount=3&arrival=2021-11-07&departure=2021-12-11&unitId=2171242

But there are others to choose from. In McCormick Ranch there is this: And it is near Butters Restaurant which has nice outdoor seating and tends to draw some regulars of retirement ages for breakfast a good time to meet people: This is open Sept and Oct
https://www.vrbo.com/1492663?adultsCount=1&arrival=2021-09-01&departure=2021-10-31&unitId=2051327

Last edited:
We have friends that stay at the Orange Tree resort in Scottsdale. They rent by the month. They have stayed there for several years, so they must be satisfied.

I like trilogy in rio verde. But there is one in Peoria closer to Phoenix that should have some rental homes available

Back
Top Bottom