Series EE savings bonds maturing after 30 years...now what?

Thanks Telly and cat4ever--that is what I plan to do. We will report the bonds on mother's tax return the year we cash them in. If the IRS penalizes her we will beg forgiveness due to her age and health.
I do not think this is a problem. Your 1099 will be for the year on which they are cashed in, so everything should sync up.

Not so for paper bonds. I have discovered that my mother has a bunch of EE bonds that matured several years ago and she has never gotten a tax bill for those. I know that these should be cashed in and the tax paid but I have not yet figured out how to accomplish this. I have taken over mother's finances under her Power of Attorney. The local band and credit union tell me that they cannot cash savings bonds with a Power of Attorney. According to my research in order for me to cash them for her at Treasury Direct she will have to sign a special Power of Attorney to me that has to be medallion guaranteed. At this point she is not healthy enough to do this. The bonds may have to remain uncashed until her death when I can cash them in as her Executor.
Does she have an account at the bank? If so they can cash them and deposit to her account. No POA needed.

I did this recently for my son. Bond in his name, but in my hands.

I have a stack of about 80, $50 bonds, that I purchased one per month thru my employer many years ago. They are starting to mature, and one will mature each month for the next several years, so I have been sending batches in to Treasury Direct to convert to E Bonds. I should have done this a long time ago, to get rid of the stack of paper in the fire box and put everything on auto pilot. Now all I have to do is periodically transfer the proceeds to my bank account with a few mouse clicks. Just to be safe, I take pictures of them (a couple dozen with one click of the camera) so I have proof in the unlikely case that they are lost. I sent only 3 bonds in the first batch to see how the process works, then sent the rest in bigger batches since I liked what I saw.

I do not think this is a problem. Your 1099 will be for the year on which they are cashed in, so everything should sync up.
Honestly, I think you would have more issues if you paid tax on the uncashed bond in the year it matured (no 1099 issued) and then have to wave your hands to explain the discrepancy between the tax already paid previously and the 1099 issued at the time you actually cash the bond in.

Does she have an account at the bank? If so they can cash them and deposit to her account. No POA needed.

I did this recently for my son. Bond in his name, but in my hands.

Yes mother has an account a Wells Fargo and a local credit union but they say she has to appear in person and sign each bond in front of a bank officer. Right now she is not physically able to do this.

Yes mother has an account a Wells Fargo and a local credit union but they say she has to appear in person and sign each bond in front of a bank officer. Right now she is not physically able to do this.

Might this help? https://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav0105.pdf

If you already have a certified copy of the power of attorney then she wouldn't need to sign anything as I read it, but you would have to redeem the bonds by mail using Form 1522 and have the proceeds deposited into her bank account.

Might this help? https://www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav0105.pdf

If you already have a certified copy of the power of attorney then she wouldn't need to sign anything as I read it, but you would have to redeem the bonds by mail using Form 1522 and have the proceeds deposited into her bank account.

I have mother's power of attorney but here in North Carolina POAs are no longer recorded so I don't have a certified copy. I will have to see if I can get it recorded and get a certified copy. And for the Form 1522 that I will have to sign, will I have to get medallion guarantee or I have read they have changed that and now only need a notary?

I have mother's power of attorney but here in North Carolina POAs are no longer recorded so I don't have a certified copy. I will have to see if I can get it recorded and get a certified copy. And for the Form 1522 that I will have to sign, will I have to get medallion guarantee or I have read they have changed that and now only need a notary?

The alternative is to complete Form 5188, which your mom would have to sign, but only once rather than for every bond.

To authorize an attorney-in-fact to act on behalf of a bond owner, please do either of the following:
• Submit a certified copy of the power of attorney authorizing the attorney-in-fact to do so. The document
must:
o Have a legible stamp or seal of the certifying officer
o Either be signed within the past two years or contain a durability clause
• Complete Durable Power of Attorney for Securities and Savings Bonds Transactions (FS Form 5188)​

CERTIFICATION – Each person whose signature is required must appear before and establish identification to the
satisfaction of an authorized certifying officer. The signatures to the form must be signed in the officer's presence. The
certifying officer must affix the seal or stamp which is used when certifying requests for payment. Authorized certifying
officers are available at financial institutions, including credit unions, in the United States. Examples of acceptable seals
and stamps:
 The financial institution’s official seal or stamp, including: Signature Guaranteed seal or stamp; Endorsement
Guaranteed seal or stamp; Corporate seal or stamp (a corporate resolution isn’t required); or Issuing or paying
agent seal or stamp (including name, location, and four-digit identification number or nine-digit routing number)
 The seal or stamp of Treasury-recognized Signature Guarantee Programs or other Treasury-approved
Medallion Programs

The thing that is unclear to me is the "certifying officer" but this link provides some info: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/sigcert.htm

Who can certify signatures in the U.S.Evidence of certifying individual's authority
(1) Officers and employees of depository institutions, such as banks(i) We require the institution's seal or signature guarantee stamp.
(ii) If the institution is an authorized paying agent for U.S. Savings Bonds, we require a legible imprint of the paying agent's stamp.
(2) Institutions that are members of Treasury— recognized signature guarantee programs (for security transfers only)We require the imprint of the signature guarantee stamp, i.e., the STAMP, SEMP, or MSP stamp for members of the Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program, the Stock Exchanges Medallion Program, or the New York Stock Exchange Inc. Medallion Signature Program.
(3) Officers and employees of corporate central credit unions, Federal Land Banks, Federal Intermediate Credit Banks and Banks for Cooperatives, the Central Bank for Cooperatives, and Federal Home Loan BanksWe require the entity's seal.
(4) Commissioned or warrant officers of the United States Armed Forces, for signatures executed by Armed Forces personnel, civilian field employees, and members of their families(i) We require a statement that the person executing the assignment is one whose signature the officer is authorized to certify under our regulations.
(ii) The certifying official's rank must be shown.
(5) A judge or clerk of a U.S. courtWe require the seal of a U.S. court.
(6) Other persons as designated by the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Fiscal ServiceEvidence is determined by our procedures.

The government has made it almost impossible for an elderly person to cash in a paper bond, way too complicated. She does not need this money, I will probably just want to do it as part of her estate after her death.

Agree... the movement of commerce to online has left a lot of people behind... its almost impossible today to operate without some online capability... which freezes out some people like my 91yp DM who doesn't have internet at all or my 68yo neanderthal friend who is scared to do anything online.

Agree... the movement of commerce to online has left a lot of people behind... its almost impossible today to operate without some online capability... which freezes out some people like my 91yp DM who doesn't have internet at all or my 68yo neanderthal friend who is scared to do anything online.

Yes my 90 year old mother has no clue about the internet. At age 70 I am pretty internet savvy but dealing with mother's bonds has been a real challenge for me.

paper bonds

dont have to be cashed if you dont wish to pay the taxes. you can just hold on to them and let those who inherit them deal with them

dont have to be cashed if you dont wish to pay the taxes. you can just hold on to them and let those who inherit them deal with them

And I'm sure that they will love you for doing that.

I'm trying to arrange my financial affairs to make things easier for my heirs, not harder.

Depending on the amounts involved the risk is that they may end up saying eff-it... and the money goes to waste... not what I want.

Once they are matured the EE bonds cannot be transferred. If my mother still owns her bonds at her death, they will have to be cashed by her estate and the estate will have to pay the tax, most likely at a higher rate.

That is what DS did... he had a bunch of EE bonds from when he was young, so that were earning 3-4% and he redeemed them to C&I and then used the proceeds to buy I bonds. Then he bought more I bonds and have the amount withdrawn from his bank account where it was earning 0.1% or so.

EE Bonds Not Yet Cashed and Over Maturity

I have EE bonds in my possession well after the maturity date.

I have read that the IRS has the ability to impose a tax penalty if you do not cash them in the year they mature.

Question: Has anyone here cashed in an EE bond well after maturity and received an IRS tax penalty for doing so?

I know what the IRS states I wonder if they actually impose a penalty.

My mother had some EE bonds that she cashed after maturity a few years ago and paid the tax in the year she cashed them, has never received anything about it from the IRS.

Back
Top Bottom