Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just surpassed 200k today! DW and I had a late start (me-31, DW-30) but we've come a long way since we first got married 4 1/2 years ago being about 60k in debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Way to go Jasonjam83! You should be proud of your accomplishment and staying the course. One milestone at a time, and hopefully both of us will get to that million dollar mark!

Not sure if this is exactly a milestone, but I ERd about 6 months ago and my portfolio has appreciated more than what my salary would have been for those 6 months. With all the talk about how devastating it is if your portfolio loses value in the first few years of ER, it makes me feel a lot better. But I also know not to expect this growth forever. Still, it is nice to start ER with a cushion.
That's my hope too. A good six month's of increase after I retire in December.

I am 35 and my wife is 28. We crossed a big milestone - $1 million in investable assets (excluding house) about 6 months ago. We are saving about $100K a year and hoping to retire in 15 years. Our next goal is $2 million which our target is 5 years.

Woohoo, I paid off my student loan today. I started off with about $30k almost 13 years ago, but the interest was so low and tax deductible I stretched it out to a 20 year term. The past few years it wasn't deductible on my taxes so I began extra payments. Today I clicked "submit payment" for the final $4,500. The relief is amazing. A better feeling than when my NW went over a million. Next I'll focus my extra payments on the mortgage.

I just paid my last tuition payment. My son will graduate from Texas A&M in August with a degree in construction science, an employable field.

The same son provided me with another milestone a couple of years ago. After he took a part-time job with the university, I read this Facebook post: "I set up my 401K today. So long $52, see you in 30 years."

:D:D:D

I just paid my last tuition payment. My son will graduate from Texas A&M in August with a degree in construction science, an employable field.

The same son provided me with another milestone a couple of years ago. After he took a part-time job with the university, I read this Facebook post: "I set up my 401K today. So long $52, see you in 30 years."

:D:D:D

Nice on the Tuition; very nice on the second generation. The initial outlook on the money habits of our three 20-somethings has also been very reassuring and pleasant. (Fingers crossed that it continues!)

1.7M in investable assets. House paid off, no debts. I am 51 1/2 Planning to ER at 55. 3 1/2 years to go & dont know if I will able to make it then. Last child will start high school this fall. Planning to pull the plug his high school final year. Just wanted to leave now. Tired of MegaCorp BS. The more I move up the chain, the more disgust I get. Been a lurker for awhile. Thank you for your invaluable investment wisdom.

Today my retirement accounts (457 & Roth IRA) crossed the half million mark. At the same time, my GF's TSP crossed $750k. She's scheduled to retire with a pension in 3-ish years.:) My pension only arrives in 8 years :(.

- My DW handed in her resignation last Tuesday at age 42. She'll be retired in June!
- I'm strategizing on how I can convince my bosses to lay me off from Mega Corp - at age 40 - to get the year's severance that I'd be entitled to. If that doesn't work by next spring, I'll let that dream go and resign/retire the old fashioned way.
- This past Sunday, we had our first open house for our Manhattan, NY condo. We're going to sell it this year and soon after try out several lower cost of living locations.

We're excited!

I am 31 and my wife 30 (married 1.5 years)

* I reached 100K in assets (not including primary residence) in Summer 2013 at age 29.
* Got married Fall 2013.
* Paid off student loan in February 2015.
* Together, we just hit 250K in assets (not counting primary residence) in May 2015.

Only debt is my mortgage and whatever trivial CC balance I have (that I pay off every month; no interest)

Looking forward to 500K.. 1M... and one day, 2M!

Last edited:
- My DW handed in her resignation last Tuesday at age 42. She'll be retired in June!
- I'm strategizing on how I can convince my bosses to lay me off from Mega Corp - at age 40 - to get the year's severance that I'd be entitled to. If that doesn't work by next spring, I'll let that dream go and resign/retire the old fashioned way.
- This past Sunday, we had our first open house for our Manhattan, NY condo. We're going to sell it this year and soon after try out several lower cost of living locations.

We're excited!
Congratulations. I'm sure I'm not alone on wanting to hear the details on how you guys got to ER so young and the plans to self sustain for 45 plus years. Once again congratulations!

I am 31 and my wife 30 (married 1.5 years)

* I reached 100K in assets (not including primary residence) in Summer 2013 at age 29.
* Got married Fall 2013.
* Paid off student loan in February 2015.
* Together, we just hit 250K in assets (not counting primary residence) in May 2015.

Only debt is my mortgage and whatever trivial CC balance I have (that I pay off every month; no interest)

Looking forward to 500K.. 1M... and one day, 2M!

Welcome to the forum jsal7. If you'd like - take the time to open a new thread in the "Hi I Am" forum and introduce yourself.

You've got impressive stats for someone so young. I was not anywhere close to your asset level when I was your age. Congrats on having a plan and working it!

Reached 100K net work (NO DEBT)

Yesterday, I reach 100K worth. I am 37 years old. I have not debt. I am saving for a house. Within 2 years I should 30 percent down payment for $300,000 house.

Crossed $400,000 in net worth the other day, of which $250,000 in investable assets. Have always been frugal, but got serious about ER about 3 years ago and have chugging toward it ever since

The details:
- Early 30s DINK couple in the Southwestern US
- Most recent saving rate is around $85k/year before 401k/HSA matching. Over $100k after matching.
- Yearly spending of < $40k/year. We work hard to keep expenses low.

46 years old, with wife and 2 kids (10,14)

The good:
- finally crossed 1M investible assets (around $1,011,000 now)
- paid off home ($523,000)
- inherited some farm land (Roughly $500,000)

Mint says net worth is $2,043,777.

The bad:
not saving as much as I'd like
Income is stagnant ($85,000) I made more 15 years ago!

46 years old, with wife and 2 kids (10,14)

The good:
- finally crossed 1M investible assets (around $1,011,000 now)
- paid off home ($523,000)
- inherited some farm land (Roughly $500,000)

Congrats on your progress!

Just one suggestion - I've heard figures tossed around that farmland is at a relatively high price at the moment. If you think you'll be selling that land in the next 10-15 years, you might want to look at getting some quotes on it, and crunching some numbers to see what you could really earn off of it if you farm it yourself or lease it out. The low interest rates are benefiting farm prices just like everything else, along with (in some areas) a mini-farm land frenzy with transaction prices.

Congrats on your progress!

Just one suggestion - I've heard figures tossed around that farmland is at a relatively high price at the moment. If you think you'll be selling that land in the next 10-15 years, you might want to look at getting some quotes on it, and crunching some numbers to see what you could really earn off of it if you farm it yourself or lease it out. The low interest rates are benefiting farm prices just like everything else, along with (in some areas) a mini-farm land frenzy with transaction prices.

Yes land prices (it's a corn/soybean farm in Illinois) have increased significantly, which is great, but they obviously can and likely will drop at some point. I believe they have somewhat in 2015. What I own is 1/4th of a farm originally purchased by my great (great?) grandfather that was gifted to me by my parents. My parents still own 1/4th, and each of my siblings own 1/4th. Since it's been in the family for so long, we'll likely not sell it. Maybe my kids will own it some day. It's nice to be diversified. We pay someone to farm it for us and each year I get a check for around $11,000. This is nice, but it seems like the yearly payout should be larger if the land is truly worth $500,000. ??

Just paid off the mortgage! Makes my liquid asset fund look kinda puny, though.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Negotiated to sell my company for its book value and release of a personal guarantees. I was told that I could run the company as I've always done for as long as I chose. After posting the companies 2nd best (29yrs)12 month performance ever, I was terminated unexpectedly for "running the company like I owned it". A thirty second phone call while I was on vacation last August. Got 6 months notice and one year severance. Unfortunately the sale required a 5 year non compete from sale date and moved into "dream home" - now a nightmare as my replacement lives across the street.
From the day before the sale until now I have been fortunate been fortunate enough to:

Increased my net worth 2.5 mm
Liquidity went from 30% to 70%
Have my son choose an in state college so his educational fund is more than enough (sister went out of state)
Found this site and firecalc

I'm pretty sure I'm good financially but that's always a worry. I just hopeful the regrets/anger over how I was terminated will subside soon.

Negotiated to sell my company for its book value and release of a personal guarantees. I was told that I could run the company as I've always done for as long as I chose. After posting the companies 2nd best (29yrs)12 month performance ever, I was terminated unexpectedly for "running the company like I owned it". A thirty second phone call while I was on vacation last August. Got 6 months notice and one year severance. Unfortunately the sale required a 5 year non compete from sale date and moved into "dream home" - now a nightmare as my replacement lives across the street.
From the day before the sale until now I have been fortunate been fortunate enough to:

Increased my net worth 2.5 mm
Liquidity went from 30% to 70%
Have my son choose an in state college so his educational fund is more than enough (sister went out of state)
Found this site and firecalc

I'm pretty sure I'm good financially but that's always a worry. I just hopeful the regrets/anger over how I was terminated will subside soon.

You've come to a good place - I've been dealing with a parallel but unique set of issues. There are a lot of good resources that are pointed to on this site. One of them is the book - Retire Happy Wild and Free, which captures some of the non-financial aspects of retirement. Two specific things that I did when in a somewhat similar position - not trying to tell you what to do, but just something to consider:

- dumped the 'dream house' especially with kids leaving a smaller place can just be more manageable and enjoyable (we found anyways). Also, take a look at what it does to your Firecalc projection if you are able to pull some cash out the house and into investable assets.

- considered 'dream job' outside of past career- I have 30 years in an industry - pretty much FI/ but you never know right(?) - but will have a non-compete when I leave. I've been reconsidering some of the hobbies/interest I had before I 'grew up' and there are 1-2 that could be second careers - especially if compensation is not a factor in the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom