Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit $1 million in Net worth yesterday.

I include all investment accounts, taxable and retirement; and Real estate equity.
Accounts: $463k
RE equity: $539k (primary and 2 rentals)

I actually feel like I have less money and just want more and more now! I think because bigger things and experiences feel more attainable now!

We are 37 with two girls- 10 and 7
Eligible for military pension at 44. I’m proud of where we are!:)
Thank you for your service and congrats. It is a nice feeling to call yourself a millionaire:-}
Keep it simple and keep plugging away. We are savers so it kind of becomes addicting to watch your funds grow. Semper Fi

My older brother asked me once how I could retire so early and did I really have enough money. So I told him how much we have. He got real quiet. So it’s hard to talk about financial success with your own family.

Similar situation happen here with a family member. We had just passed 1 million in Vanguard accounts when during a drive home from dinner, they asked if we were millionaires. I just said maaybeee, & it got awkwardly quiet. Lol

Similar situation happen here with a family member. We had just passed 1 million in Vanguard accounts when during a drive home from dinner, they asked if we were millionaires. I just said maaybeee, & it got awkwardly quiet. Lol

Agreed. This has been a topic of conversation with our close friends and family. Some are FIRE, some still working. It amazes me to hear how little some of them have saved after a lifetime of working w/ 2 salaries. My wife and I are very careful with how much we divulge so as not to make it awkward.

Net worth finally crested $2M today. My wife and I are both age 49, so feel good about hitting a major milestone earlier rather than later. We'll keep working several more years then take advantage of semi-retirement by age 55. Definitely a sense of satisfaction getting to this point!

That was originally posted 4/17/2014.

A quick update. Our net worth passed $4M today. Incredible! We are very grateful for our good fortune.

Congratulations to all of you milestone achievers. I very happy for all of the success you have had.

Congratulations! Y'all retired yet?

Thanks. We’re both taking time away from work right now, but may dabble with less stressful/highly flexible employment in the future. Work being optional is a beautiful thing. We are definitely enjoying our freedom.

2/15/20 = 948k, previous milestone I posted here was 12/15/2019 = 830k. contribution = about 3k, the rest is by the market. This feels unreal.

I might actually hit 1m this year.

2/15/20 = 948k, previous milestone I posted here was 12/15/2019 = 830k. contribution = about 3k, the rest is by the market. This feels unreal.

I might actually hit 1m this year.

The first million is the hardest. Congratulations to you and keep GOING!

Last week passed $2 million tax deferred savings. Would have happened sooner but I got a bit conservative middle of last year.

Hopefully can get it over $2.5 in a few years, then I will punch out of the rat race.

(Single income, 1 child, only made over $100k the last 8 years, slow and steady saving. 56)

Congrats on the milestones everyone! I love to hear success stories. Keeps me motivated to continue to save money. :dance:

Congratulations to all the new millionaires and multimillionaires! I am very impressed since it took me 30 years to get there.

I can talk with my older brother about finances since we are both retired millionaires but avoid the subject with my other siblings. They are in their 60's but have nothing saved and will be working as long as possible and/or living on social security. Several of my neighbors are millionaires, two from selling their Los Angeles homes but they also have investments, two are financial advisors, and another neighbor has a large inheritance. We don't usually share specifics but it would probably not be awkward to do so.

Last edited:
I retired after 28 years at a great company, took my pension in cash, saved 16% of my salary while there. I left with 855K in April of 2016. I never added another dime, nor have I taken any $$. I work (2) part time jobs. I intend to work 7 more years and pick up a small municipal pension at 60. I've got (3) years in and I love what i'm doing. My goal was 1.1M by age 55, I'm 53 and I'm at 1.17M. I'm going to do a small 72T on 800K next year, and live a little.

Share your FIRE Milestones

I’ll share: my spouse is the spender and I’m the saver. We have both compromised a bit in the middle but they were never interested in the savings and let me manage it all.

They saw a 8yr senior coworkers 401k balance the other day and realized they had 1.6x that amount. I finally saw some of that energy I feel around savings!

Good things happen when you max your tax deferred space and let it ride. Even with good dual income I’m often surprised at how lavish many of our peers live. For me, it is correct to say surprised - I’m almost uncomfortable with our spend but it works with our plan.

Last edited:
Not the milestone I was looking for but here it goes, today is the first time I ever lost over $300k in a single day. Hopefully it won't happen very often...

Not the milestone I was looking for but here it goes, today is the first time I ever lost over $300k in a single day. Hopefully it won't happen very often...

Unless you have sold holdings today, you have lost nothing.........

Why did you panic sell? You locked in a $300k loss? yikes.

People celebrate unrealized gains all the time here, when somebody reaches a milestone, they don't sell everything

ANYWAY, back to the topic of the thread.

Oof, I just barely passed my last big milestones...on the way down! Luckily, I'm still in the accumulation phase, so it's just another chance to keep buying in while the market is down!

Right? Right?!? ;)

Last edited:
I looked this morning to see if I had passed the $1.6M mark going down. I just barely missed dipping under $1.6M, about $50k down from the start of the year.

Some of that reduction was due to making estimated tax payments on a stock fund I liquidated in late December, taking a big gain, before buying into a similar stock fund which is growth oriented instead of growth+income oriented (to regain ACA subsidies). Some of it was due to paying off a mortgage on my ladyfriend's out-of-state house in preparation for her selling it soon and paying me back. So, the reduction wasn't all due to market losses, thankfully.

From 2/19 to 2/28, my net worth fell about $224,000, which I think is a new record for me. FWIW, peak-to-trough, I lost about $224,000 in the Great Recession. Good times! :p

It's a sting. Was tough to log in and look at my balances today, but this is part of the game. I predict that the bottom has already been reached, JMO. The virus thing is real, but in the grand scheme of things, and considering all other economic indicators, I am not all that concerned.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom